1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CAN-View Software Updates

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by efusco, Feb 9, 2006.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with this.
    ---- would be fine with me when coasting/EV mode

A couple other thoughts/suggestions for future updates Norm...
    1)For batter SOC could you have the numbers turn Green when the SOC exceeds ~70% and Red when below 40%?
    2)For fuel tank % could you have it turn RED at ~10 or 12%?

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the color change is a great idea... or have the number blink in unison with the last pip?... ok maybe thats a bit too elaborate

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

as I don't care about US gallons could you just do the read out in L per hundred Km a lot less calculating for the code and as I know colours are a lot of code space of which there isn't a lot left I doubt that it's a realistic request. Use the code space remaining for other paramaters when they are found. IE: MG temps etc.

4. arniesalsared

arniesalsared Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree, save the code space but I'd like to see the MPG up to 100.

Arnie :rolleyes:

5. eflier

eflier Silver Business Sponsor

OK, I just replaced the CAN code at the bottom of downloads ( http://www.hybridinterfaces.ca/downloads.html) with CCfeb126.hex (if you've done the Cv and the CI you only need the CC code)

MPG on the graph now is scaled at 100 full scale, numbers at 255 (+255 if over)
    On a leisurely Sunday drive that had the graph roughly half way up most of the time so it seems more useful to me.

But it can always be changed.....

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Using this display for the average percentage SOC when the colors are changed at each level it seems that my 70% number for SOC would be good for when it turns red, to turn green though 50% is probably a better number.

[Broken External Image]:http://k43.pbase.com/u40/efusco/large/40124005.BattSOC2.jpg

7. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

Is this right? If so there is a mix up on your web page. There the new code is Ci not
    CC!

CI is dated Feb 12
    CV and CC Feb 9

??????????

8. eflier

You are quite right; I've swapped them to read correctly as of 8pm PST.

While I am at it, the color coding of all graphs is something I will work towards, but
    it has to be done in a generic fashion so I don't have to write new code for every graph.
    Something like call every graph with a fixed set of thresholds andmatching colors to use when exceeding those thresholds. It will happen eventually.

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I wasn't even thinking of the graphs (I don't use them to be honest...I've tried and just can't get anything helpful out of them for my needs). I was just thinking about the text numbers changing color at the thresholds I gave above. Is that complicated too?

BTW, I have a Voltage graph that might be useful for determining the color change thresholds.
    [Broken External Image]:http://mk23.image.pbase.com/u40/efusco/upload/40123997.BatteryGraphic.jpg

10. eflier

As requested, I've added a table at the bottom of http://www.hybridinterfaces.ca/disppars.html
    listing basic CAN packet IDs and data byte positions for basic CAN-view user parameters.
    Additional parameters may be calculated from combinations of these.

11. p626808

p626808 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Anyone have an IPOD2CAR device hooked up with there Canview?

Getting some "cutting out" of the Canview with this device.

Scott

12. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I think is a good idea, 0 to 99 for color bar graph and numerical display like Toyo MFD and 0 to 255 for FORMATED display for those of you tracking data all the times, but better yet, we can POLL this for less arguments

13. eflier

Hi all. While I am still busy, I thought I'd better replace that 'mystery1' parameter as we didn't come to any solid conclusion. Rather than just put another in its place, I've made the '?' icon on both graph and text screens display what you choose. Download the latest Beta code if you want to try this.

First go to the TRACK screen and you'll see a new item 'graph' displayed just above MENU.
    Use NEXT to get to whatever CAN data page you want.
    Touch one of the 4 CAN packet IDs (they are in red) to transfer this ID to under 'graph'
    Touch one of the up to 8 columns of data (they are in white) to transfer this byte position to under 'graph'
    Now go to a graph or text screen, pck an item to change, select the '?' icon and the item you chose on the TRACK screen will be displayed as a graph or text.

I've scaled it as 0-100% to be easier to read than the original hex.
    It obviously won't work for the few parameters which are more than a single byte.
    And it will look odd for thos items that are signed: like temperature that can be + or -.
    But it will work for most. You can use the list under http://www.hybridinterfaces.ca/disppars.html
    to avoid looking for existing items.[attachmentid=2332]

14. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

Great idea that will be helpful. It will certainly make it easier to spot trends and rule in or out items. I will get it this weekend.

Norm I would like to report a minor bug. It has to do with the back up camera function. It is quite reproducible. If you put the car in reverse and turn off or on the headlights the backup camera stays on in drive neutral or park until you power down. I guess it is ok if you want to see what is behind you but you can not get at any of the CAN-View displays. So far the only way to reset it is to power down and restart the car.

15. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On the bug note, I still have issues of the CAN-View not being accessible at times in my "with NAV" version. Usually occurs with accessing the NAV tools, but not always. I can't really pinpoint an exact sequence that triggers this problem, but it happens with enough regularity that I'm sure it's a bug.

16. kk6yb

kk6yb New Member

I sometimes see the same problem, sometimes I just can't get CAN-View using the Info button. I was also trying to pinpoint the circumstances so I could make a useful report, but haven't figured out what triggers it.

As a workaround, putting the car into EVb mode with the EV button always brings up CAN-View even when I can't get CAN-View with the Info button. (FWIW, I'm still running the original w/NAV CAN-View software, haven't had a chance to update it yet).

17. eflier

So you put the car in reverse with auto back-up camera selected and then turn the headlights on/off and its stays stuck on the reverse camera? I had to go try that straight away and sure enough, permanent camera image. (Not that I doubted you....)

Not a combination I had thought to try, but a simple fix. I've just changed the Beta code to CCfeb246 to include a fix for that.

18. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well I was backing up and forgot to turn the lights off so while backing I fliped them off and the camera stays on! Then I did the oppisite at night. Seeing a pattern here. Thanks for the quick fix.

19. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Fuel Flow observation:

I went out to visit Norm last weekend and got the CAN-View installed. It is an awesome device and it has data that Toyota should've included. One thing i have noticed is the fuel flow will register 0 L/hr for a period of time when the car starts up. There is a drop in amperage and the ICE registers RPMs. It looks like to me, the electric motor is spinning up the ICE while not using any fuel. The MFD will show 99.9L/100km which means it is consuming gas. Eventually, the fuel will start flowing and I will see smoke coming from the exhaust.

I'm assuming this is just the usual case of the MFD lying. I've seen this situation happen during the first 5 minutes of running the Prius. If i release the throttle, the fuel flow will show 0 consumption, but the MFD shows consumption. My understanding is during the warm-up process, the ICE will burn rich and shower higher consumption. Why does the CAN-view screen show no fuel flow when it makes sense that the MFD is showing consumption since the ICE is running, and it's in the warmup process?

PS. Please add L/100km for fuel consumption. Us Canadians live in the now (metric) :D

20. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I have noticed that as well. If you put it in gear and start to drive it registers. It's like the computer is trying to find out what the car is doing. It seems to me that it needs a speedo input to start it thinking about fuel flow.