1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CAN-View Software Updates

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by efusco, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The weird thing is that the validity of the report of no fuel flow seems to be corraborated by the reading of Hybrid Battery amperage showing electric consumption of around 5 amp when the ICE is running. It does seem that it's just using the electric motor to crank the ICE.

Another thing is when I was observing this phenomenon, I stuck my face in front of the exhaust and took a wiff. It just had a faint smell of fumes. Then when the the fuel flow starting showing some activity, steam/exhaust smoke blew out of the exhaust.

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

the 5 amp draw is more inline with the 12 volt DC-DC converter bringing the 12 volt battery back up to normal charge, if it's sat over night. Tomorrow drop it into gear and start to drive even it it's only 50 meters. You'll see it register fuel flow. I just don't drive her car that much so haven't watched but on the Classic when you first start it up and start to drive you get higher current draw that when it's warmed up. And the fuel flow is higher till the cat's get warmed up then it drops back and the current draw drops as well. Next time I get to use her car I'll watch for that as well.

3. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Will a version ever be done for the 06?

Wildkow

4. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I understand there's power consumption with the DC-DC converter, but I'm talking about the current on top of that. If the CAT is warm enough, and it does this, i can push the EV button and shut off the ICE and the current output will drop.

5. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sniffing tail pipes? Is that leagal in Canada? Better not try that in the US, George will send you off to a tropical island. Boy the leangths a Prius driver will go to figure out this car!! My hat is off to you. I wonder though if the power is not going to MG2? Something like that must be occuring when we are in glide mode ie no arrows on the MFD but the amps are - 4 to 8 or so above the stopped amp level.

6. eflier

eflier Silver Business Sponsor

OK, I've been busy. And I've been listening.

I have given in to demands (pleadings?,begging?) and added an OBD2 interface to CAN-view.
    Whilst there is an awful lot broadcast on CAN, there are a few items that can only be got via OBD2, like inverter temps for example.

The version 3 when I've sent off the artwork yet again, will have the added circuitry neatly on the board, (as a $25 option)
    For all existing CAN-view customers, I will make a tiny PCB with 5 wires coming from it that can be soldered onto existing version 1, 2 and 3 CAN-views. If enough people are interested I can probably offer that as a kit for $25 + whatever a small packet airmail costs. I'm looking at about a 2 week turnaround before I see the bare PCBs.

My own version with the added chip just glued on top as an interim measure. now does the following:
    displays on both format and user text screens:
    MG1 inverter temp
    MG2 inverter temp
    MG1 motor winding temp
    MG2 motor winding temp
    under-hood air intake temp.
    An added screen lets you read and display trouble codes and also clear them.
    I haven't had to eliminate existing graphs but I haven't room to add these new features as graphs.
    By the time it ships I can probably find room for a couple more OBD2 items.

If everyone who is interested would email me and tell me if they intend to install themselves or want someone more 'local' to volunteer to do the mod, that would help.
    (No names, but I have the strong feeling one or two of you should not be allowed out on the streets with a loaded soldering iron.....)
    Norm

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm definately in! Not too sure about the soldering if it's really detailed stuff, but if not too difficult I think I could tackle it.

8. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I am in. I purchased a 15 w soldering iron, to replace my ages old 25 w soldering iron. I think that Dave wants in.

9. Frank Hudon

Frank is a given as well.

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, you guys with ScanGage, what stuff on there do you use most that you'd want on the CAN-View upgrade? I'm still more than willing to lose a graph or two...or all three for the improved functionality...trip mileage seems particularly appealing.

11. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I'm in and count me to, keep rolling those PCBoards Norm, I'm for the self install kit. So CAN-View is expanding its frontiers, GREAT!! What would it be the name, CANOBD2 View? ;) I don't want to loose the graphs, for me are superb and use them all the time.

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    oooh boy... cant wait.

13. arniesalsared

arniesalsared Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK Norm, you sure know how to hurt a guy, what a low blow. You should know that in Arizona we are allowed to carry concealed weapons (soldering irons?) :angry: . Who ever this guy(s) is/are may haunt you in the afterlife. In the mean time, count me in for the mod.

Hope you won't use UPS after their last epic performance when going in your direction.

Arnie :p

14. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I need a bit of help. I am still trying to figure out the Mystery Item. Have not made much progress but I am going to get the chance of enlisting the aid of Mike. With my CAN Bus splitter and what he knows of cars, and equipment, I am hopeful that some progress can be made in figuring this out.
    I have some questions about things I have observed. I would like to find out what the rest of you think we should concentrate on.
    Here is a part of a post I put in the Commercial Forum:
    Mystery Item ( address 348, byte 5): I have been watching this on the graph and comparing with other graphable parameters. First I still think this is an ICE related item.

One question for Norm: On ICE start and occasionally on ICE off (1/3 of the time??) the value bounces to 100% then to 0 then to a value.
    1) Is this some sort of artifact of the CAN-View, CAN Bus or something else or is it valid data?

2) If it is data could it be some sort of calibration?

Some thoughts I have had:
    Not Prius NCF states in several spaces that the HV ECU receives data on throttle position calculates torque required and sends request to the ECM.

3) Could this be that request from the HV ECU to the ECM ?

I think that it will be of value to have an observer and a driver. As the driver I can not (will not?) keep my eyes on the CAN-View all the time.

4)Would there be a need to send data from the air mass sensor or other sensors or would they be directly attached to the ECM?
    We know the MG and inverter temps are sent direct to the HV ECU and are only discoverable by OBDII request. It seems to me that the information I have suggests that the request for torque from the HV ECU to the ECM is sent over the CAN Bus. Thoughts?
    Please any other thoughts we are getting together Saturday at 9 am PST at the dealership.

15. eflier

Hi Henry et al,
    1st, the tiny bare boards for the OBD2 add-on kits have left the PCB plant in Oregon and should be here early next week. As soon as they are here I'll build a few and start mailing them off.
    2nd, that mystery item, along with any other you choose instead via the track/graph select function is purely what appears on the CAN-bus. All I do is multiply the value to show a full scale of 100% rather than the hex FF (cos its easier to read) So anything you see is genuinely on the CAN-bus, for what its worth.
    3rd, I am still in learning mode in regards requested info on the CAN-bus. Maybe I've missed something but now that I'm constantly scanning the engine, hybrid and battery ECUs, I've yet to see ANY requested data; it appears to be entirely broadcast and so fixed at time of manufacture.
    Please someone correct me if wrong, I think all engine related sensors go directly to the engine ECU (at 7E0 write,7E8 read) and so it doesn't need to request data from anywhere else. Maybe this applies to the hybrid (MG) ECU (at 7E2 write,7EA read) Perhaps a sympathetic tech at your dealership meeting can shed some light.

16. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thank you I think it is worth a lot. We need to find some process function that would logically respond in this fashion. The fact that it momentarily bumps up to 100% is a key and the occasional bump on ICE shut off. Also the behavior in “B†mode.
    I agree that as a general principle the CAN bus is for critical values and processes, and messages to be communicated from one ECU to another, and that are used by one or more ECUs. Values that are of local use to only one ECU are directly connected to that ECU and if they are useful in diagnosis they are available from the OBDII as a queried item for the THHS and use by the Tech.
    I will print out all of this and bring it with me when I see Mike on Saturday

17. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Mike and I got together and I thought I might report. We spent an hour or so driving and analyzing the Mystery item. Mike agrees that is "probably" a ICE related message but there are things that can not be easily explained. He also discussed it with some other Toyota Techs that were there today. One suggested it was the delta charge but that could not be confirmed with the THHS. One of the problems is that CAN View is very fast and the THHS is very slow. It at least at this point does not seem to be a parameter that is available to the Prius Techs. Mike is going to talk to others about this and he will have my car on Wednesday. Work will go on with this and I hope that everyone will send questions comments to pass on. Any help is appreciated.
    I had a thought or question for Norm. The ScanGage and THHS works with my simple splitter and the present CAN View. The present CAN View is just listening to the Bus. Apparently both the ScanGage and THHS interrogate the OBDII and the Bus. So they are dissimilar devices. For Norm once the CAN View becomes a OBDII device with the modification, will this likely be a problem with my splitter? If 2 devices are attached both interrogating the Bus at the same time over the same connector what might happen? Is this a good or bad thing? Thoughts?

18. Frank Hudon

I've had Norm put the OBD11 chip on the CAN-view module and while I was there we hooked the Scan Gauge to my Classic and pulled the MAP sensor wires off and set the CEL and my Inova Code Reader and my MiniScanner both showed the same codes but the Scan Gauge showed only one of the codes. What's up with that? Henry would you pull the MAP sensor wire off and check what codes your Scan Gauge shows? MAP sensor location is front and center of the air cleaner to throttle body housing connection, has 4 wires coming out of it and a tab to lock it in, colour is black plugs in left to right. Car running and pull it and then plug it back in and the CEL will be on, and Scan Gauge will have the code when your done reading it just select clear and your done, shut the car off and re start and the light will be out. Thanks

19. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    One code only P0113. I did not leave it unplugged long just till the ICE stuttered. I can do it again Wed am just before I take it in for Mike to replace the armrest. We could see what he gets with the THHS? Would that help? Or he could just do it and read the codes or maybe he just knows the answer to the "question" what ever that is. BTW check my questions on modifying my CAN-View I would like your opinion as well (along with anyone else)

20. eflier

Until someone tries it, can't say for sure. If CAN-view and another device are requesting completely different parameters, it ought to be ok. That ought to be the case for any device which currently doesn't look for hybrid parameters (like inverter temps). But if looking for identical parameters (like DTCs say) there is the possibility of one of the devices not getting the response. We are not talking damage here, just potentially missing info.
    By the way, the code I posted now allows you to switch between latched and pending DTCs. Also, without the OBD2 addition, this code will not give you any more than what you have now, so no point in installing it. It won't display anything new until it finds the hardware working for the first time.