1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CAN-View Software Updates

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by efusco, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Strange is what we get! wifes car gives P0100, P0110, P1300, and only the P0100 and 110 are related to the MAP sensor. P0113 is Intake Air Temperature Circuit Hi Input whereas P0110 is Intake Air Temperature Circuit Malfunction. P1300 is related to the #1 ignition circuit. More coming as I learn more.

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I will print these and talk to Mike. The more minds the better.

3. frenchie

frenchie Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    just to say Hello,
    I was a kind of guinea pig for testing the canview on prius with nav.
    In the beginning, it was a bit "interesting".
    It is now getting better & perfect after each software revision.
    many thanks to norm.

btw my canview was useful to understand some codes on the avc_lan and a very clever guy in poland could use the logs to interface a mp3_player based on the yamp project to interface a mp3_player simulating a cd player on toy cars B)

4. eflier

eflier Silver Business Sponsor

16 of the tiny OBD2 upgrade kits are in, 7 already spoken for (including those in this thread above) Have a peek at the initial photos for a Version 2 install to see if you feel up to it. I'll add the more complex one for a version 1 a bit later.http://www.hybridinterfaces.ca/OBD2.html

5. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think that I can now do that. Dave wants a V1 conversion.

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

ooooh cool!! i'm ready Henry to watch you work@!! just say the word!!

7. IFixEm

IFixEm New Member

Mystery item. So I called a field rep and asked him to confirm the address, his comment was something like "what the heck are you talking about"? So I thought all weekend about what I had seen and I am 90% sure what we are viewing is the VVTi controller duty cycle output from the eng ecu. There are not many duty cycle controlled devices on the eng side. We roll compression back from 13:1 to like 8.5:1 on startups I think this is why we see a big spike of 80% on start and stop. Cam timing for power and emmisions would require little change in duty cycle to achive a 4 or 6 degree change while running. The more I see the can view the more I like it. Very slick unit.
    Regards, Mike

8. IFixEm

IFixEm New Member

I don't understand why you got a 1300. that is igniter (not ignition) circuit for #1 coil. The electronic switch that turns the coil on and off is called the igniter (points and condensor), and it is part of the ignition coil. The only time I have seen inadvertant 1300 code is if the coil is disconnected with the key on/engine off. You did not disconect the coil briefly for any reason did you? If I see a gen 1 in the next day or two I'll try to duplicate it. I tried Henry's this morning and I only got MAF/IAT codes.
    Regards, Mike

9. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There is defiantly a small bug in the Bluetooth Phone hook up process. I now have a new phone so the process is the same with 2 different phones. The Bluetooth makes connection and everything works well. The small problem is that the banner across the top of the screen in not displayed when connection is made. If no connection is made phone off, no phone etc the no connection banner is displayed. You do get the banner the first time you leave CAN-View for any other screen on the MFD. It is reproducable.

10. Frank Hudon

thanks Mike, I honestly don't know why I got the P1300 either, and it was a latched code. I've had the coils out but not with the ignition on. Pulled the plugs to put Never Seize on the threads, about a year ago. All I did was pull the MAP sensor, and it set the 3 codes. That is why I was trying to get a complete list of Prius OBD11 codes for the cars with the CAN as I was wondering if some of the CAN codes were different than the non-CAN codes. As soon as I get it I'm going to start unplugging sensors and then make a list of which really does what and list it. OBD is supposed to be a universal code set but I'm starting to think different. As all code readers always say's to check the manufactures code list and use it, not the generic list. So the whole thing in my mind is suspect. Frank
    Edit: the P1300 showed on the wifes 2k4.

11. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Imagine that it may be "nonstandard" "standard". I am beginning to become tired of "standards" set by groups who have no power to enforce them. We really need some organization and direction. Every little ( and BIG ) company should not have the right to change standards. Extend defiantly, negotiate yes, but change no. OK the nice nurse has given me my shot and I fell much better now.

12. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    OK I am now obsessed with the mystery item. I do not give up easily. What do people think about Ifixem's comments? Can we put this to bed and move on?

13. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Norm, I am having a problem. All of a sudden the CAN-View and/or the Prius is not automatically starting to CAN-View on start up. I have tried to re set up the automatic start and my start up screen. Should I re flash the CAN-View? Everything seems to work well I just have to select Can View when I start up.

14. Frank Hudon

reflash it with the latest code even if you don't have the hardware installed yet. Also make sure that your DLC connector is install all the way in and the cables are plugged into your nav box properly.

15. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I will do everything. Can the cables be plugged into the Nav box improperly? Or just not enough? I will give them all a shove and reprogram tomorrow. The hardware mod should arrive soon. I have made no mods as yet. I got the various parts and a pseudo prototype for the boards and have practiced the Mod in simulation on Prototype boards from Radio Shack. Am I paranoid? Yep you bet you. It has been years since I did any serious soldering. I think I am ready however.

16. frenchie

frenchie Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,
    the intermitent plugging is not on the side of nav.
    it is common that the scart plug is not fully inserted in can-view,
    when it is like that, everything is possible. :unsure:
    I would suggest to secure it with adhesive tape.

17. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    henry, i had the same problem and found that my plug into the bus was loose.

18. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Norm.... You owe me a shot of good single malt Scotch buddy...I prefer Lagavulin..

Good night is that USB board tiny and the space to get in with a soldering iron is very tight! It doesn't help that my soldering iron is the size of the average .44 cal pistol, but still, it was a nerve wracking process attaching that board.

But all went well, no damage to anything, downloads were quick and easy as usual. The board fired right up and all features appear to work well. Now I just wish I had another "Text" screen since with all the new stuff I can't fit the things I want to watch on the 2 text screens we have...but I'll make due.

I'm curious about the PHEV stuff, what's the background there, who did you add that for/why and how does it work...there's not much on the site about how to use that screen. I don't have a PHEV conversion so it's not too applicable, but I'd like to know some background there.

Anyway, if you're buying a soldering iron for this job get a tiny one!

Thanks again Norm, your efforts on this are greatly appreciated, this USB upgrade pretty much doubles the functionality of CAN-View IMO. :)

Oops, mixed up names a bit, sorry guys.

19. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I am going to do mine this weekend. I have a fly-tying class tomorrow and have a bunch of flies to tie tonight. Dave is coming over and we will do both. I got a new soldering iron one with adjustable temp. I made up a board from prototyping boards from Radio Shack that turned out to be a bit larger that the actual. The chip I was using was a bit larger. I populated them with various chips and resistors that I got at Radio Shack and practiced both of the modifications. I just looked at the pictures of Norms board and made something that looked like the original. Not functional of course but good enough for me to practice my skills a bit. I am ready to go.

20. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Henry,
    It's not that difficult, and an extra pair of hands...even one extra hand...will make it quite easy. Literally only took me 5-10 minutes to do, but the work space and delicacy of the process was a little nerve wracking and I do not have the best soldering iron or best soldering skills...and I don't do too much in the way of delicate surgical proceedures either!