1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CAN-View Software Updates

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by efusco, Feb 9, 2006.

1. eflier

eflier Silver Business Sponsor

Hi Evan, the PHEV code is in a state of constant flux. I don't have PHEV (yet) All input for those PHEV screens comes from CalCars
    But in a nutshell, they add an additional battery pack. The original Toyota battery ECU keeps a very tight rein on the original Nimh battery in order to get the very long service life. So just adding another battery pack which is re-charged in your garage overnight, wouldn't allow you to get much extra energy out of this new pack. CalCars has come up with a way to 'spoof' the battery ECU into using most of the energy in the added pack without taking any extra at all out of the original battery. Which means it won't affect your original battery life.
    My version 3 CAN-view has a socket for a relay card which provides the control signals for CalCars PHEV conversions. It is undergoing evaluation as a possible candidate. Those PHEV screens allow them to change most of the elements involved in making the control decisions. When this is all figured out by their engineers, there will be a dedicated PHEV user screen. Its possible that at that point 2 different versions of CAN-view code will be supported: 1 with PHEV and 1 without. This will free up some of that rare spare flash ROM space for more parameters.

But go see what CalCars are up to http://www.calcars.org/
    Also the Seattle EVA
    http://www.seattleeva.org/wiki/Main_Page

Norm (eflier)

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Norm,
    I'm quite familiar with the CalCars project. Nice to know you're working with them...I'm sure it helps with their monitoring.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

oh oh henry... start practicing your micro surgury skills :blink:

4. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Henry good luck if your doing Dave's 12 volt update! That one I don't think I'd ever want to do. Soldering components to the actual SilLabs chip on the board, nope not for me. I'd much rather drive a hundred miles out and back, and have the expert do it.

5. eflier

general call for information: to all CAN-view owners who also have Bluetooth. Does CAN-view start up automatically for you or do you have to start manually? Emails to me from anyone with both CAN-view and Bluetooth is equally valuable information whether it's to say it works or it doesn't. It will help deciding if there is a generic problem
    thanks
    Norm [email protected]

6. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    OK the only pictures I have is of the V2 both Dave and I might rethink that. Why does one want to monitor the 12v system in any case? I ask you. If I don't recognize the landmarks it will not happen. I am not a booster of 12 v monitoring. Does one really need it? BTW what do the numbers you get from the CAN View with out the mod mean if you do not install the 12v modification? Voltage readings from the CAN View board? Or What? I really hate a mystery!

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Norm,
    I have BT and CAN-View and CAN-View does not auto-start for me. It did the first time I turned the car on after the update, but not since. FWIW, I don't really care b/c it's so simple to get to CAN-View and I like to see the OAT and my starting MPG and such anyway.

8. Frank Hudon

monitoring the 12 volt system is like any other of the date feeds we get. If your 12 volt battery starts to lose capacity you only need to look at the max min in the formatted screen to see it. If your normal 12 volt start reading goes from say 11.6 to 11.3 to 11.0 to 10.8 over a period of time you need to start thinking about replacing the battery. The CAN-view mod takes the actual battery voltage from the OBD side instead of the reading from the MFD power feed. I'm sure Norm can give you the exact feed location.

9. eflier

Another open plea: several people have asked about a program to use on their laptops to record and display the CAN data that CAN-view can send out serially. (As there is no commercial Windows-type program available to do this.) I'm not into Windows, but if there is anyone out there willing to create such a program, or has done so for their own use, please consider making it available for others. I would be happy to post it as a download on my web-site. (And would provide more detailed information for anyone writing such a program, or even change the format if that made the task easier)

10. IFixEm

IFixEm New Member

On Tuesday I had a few minutes to verrify my suspicions about the mystery icon. I unplugged the VVTi oil control valve and put the fluke 87 on a 1 millisecond snapshot, set to dc volts, herts. That IS the device we are looking at....it spikes and it stabilizes just like the mystery item. I can now raise my certainty to 99.8%.

Regards, Mike

11. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks Mike. Your a mensch. I was looking at Norms post on the plug in are you ready to install one? They have a "kit". Oh I only wish, my wife would kill me, dead. I would never get to use it and she will be driving around in my plug in! :(
    Now that I have this new diagnostic tool how do I use it?

12. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Speeking of which. The format screen has a reading for the 12v parameter even with out the mod. What is it reading? Some internal voltage in the CAN-View? Just looking at it and wondering what it means?

13. Frank Hudon

see my above post on 12 volts.

14. eflier

To make this acceptable to CAN-views both with and without the 12v mod, I try to figure out on power-on if this is a unit with the mod fitted or not. I can always tell if the parts ARE installed, but not so easy if they are not (in which case it's just an open pin floating up and down with the signals on the pins closest to it.) In that case, the signal averages out at about 1/2 the supply voltage which is close enough to look like its reading auxiliary battery voltage. But it isn't, its just pure noise, which doesn't change with load or charge. For most people without the mod, you never see this unless you press the right 'blanked-out' icon.

15. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks just interested. The "mod" goes in on mine tomorrow, but not on Dave's. I received the warning loud and clear. I don't mess with those IC's. They are before my time all I know is transistors. As in one transistor, not many and other stuff. That is now, I am then. Damn I may have to take a few courses at the community college. I hate not knowing just a little bit. I guess it may be OK it will keep me off the streets!

16. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I installed the OBDII mod and the 12 volt mod, so I had to reload software to the CAN View. With reference to the Bluetooth problem this is what I know. I have CAN View V2. I had a Verizon Motorola V710 Bluetooth phone purchased just after they became available. It has the first version of the software I have never up dated it. The phone would not ring in the car I had to set it to auto answer to receive phone calls. I never had signal strength in the car screen. I could have updated the software but it was a pain. I would have had to take the phone to Tacoma and wait 3 hours while they did that. I never tried a Bluetooth laptop to Prius transfer for the address book, for the few numbers I needed I used the workaround of Nav defeat dance and dialing from previously stored locations that I could put numbers in. The auto start worked with CAN-View. When in the CAN View screen the "banner" saying Bluetooth connection successful was never seen. The first time you switched to any other screen Energy Consumption Audio Nav you would then see the Bluetooth successful "banner" across the top. IN the CAN View you would see the Bluetooth connection failed and Bluetooth disconnected "banners" over the CAN View screen.
    I got a new phone a Treo 650 from Cingular when the contract was up. I linked the phone and the car that day. I was a day or so I sorted out my phone book transferred it to the new phone and uploaded the phone book to the car. I Think that during that time the auto start feature still worked because I was seeing the back up camera and had to hand dial numbers. Banner issue was still there with the new phone.
    I uploaded the phone book to the car and as far as I can remember that is when the auto start feature became inoperative. I checked all the connectors for tight fit, no loose connections. Today I flashed the CAN-View with the new software. First time I have done that since February. I kept the Treo away from the car and relinked the old Motorola phone (it of course has been deactivated from the network) and the autostart did not work. Phone book in the car was there. "Banner" issue is unchanged. I then relinked the Treo and still no auto start for CAN View. I suppose I could reflash the CAN-View with the reference software delete the phone book from the car and retry the above experiment with first the old Motorola phone then Treo then add phone book to car.
    OK here is yet another twist in this. CAN-View works in IG-ON mode. I went out to the car to check something in CAN View and since the garage door was down I did not put the car in Ready mode I just hit the power button twice I briefly went to the consumption screen then to CAN-View. I did not have the phone with me, so I tried it in Ready mode and no go the auto start for CAN View did not work. I got the phone and repeated this. IG-ON the phone and car paired up auto start to CAN-View banner issue unchanged. This is with the new phone. Ready mode no go.

17. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Norm, Frank can we put this one to bed as "known" and start another group project! :D

18. eflier

Yup, take it out back somewhere and give it a decent burial. So who picks the next one?

On the Bluetooth phone issue, Frenchie just emailed me to say his Sony Ericsson W550i works in his Prius without affecting the CAN-view autostart. So if there is one Bluetooth phone which doesn't cause a conflict, there may be others. But in the absence of a list, all I can do is tell every prospective customer that CAN-view may require manual starting if they have Bluetooth set up in their Prius.

19. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hey first of all, thanks Henry for the operation...works like a champ.

2nd, Henry, Capital Mall Verizon now does flashes. its at the regular store there not the kiosks where you can get the flash done. hint, go during the week. on weekends its a zoo there.

also, LOVE the throttle graphing. i am now able to run down to the bare minimum in forced EV mode without accidentally kicking into ICE mode.

the graph shows the point where the ICE kicks in. in stealth mode, its about 40% of the way across the bottom of the graph. with forced EV, the point moves to about 75% of the way across the graph proving that forced EV mode is better than regular stealth mode.

Norm, is there anyway we could have the throttle graph super imposed over the bottom of every screen??? that would be awesome.

20. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "Throttle Mapping"...what the heck, never saw that option...how do you get to that?

Also, Norm, I've got a red square and a yellow square that showup just below the second graph on my graph screens...they don't seem to do anything. Any idea about that?