1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CAN-View Software Updates

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by efusco, Feb 9, 2006.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    actually its throttle graphing and its part of the setup screen.

after you turn it on, watch the set point move when you force EV... its totally cool

also now being able to access DTC codes makes me ALMOST hope that something goes wrong with my Prius so i can see what the codes are...

i keep checking, it keeps saying no problems here...

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, I'll look for it tomorrow...or maybe after the ball game tonight....

As for the DTC....unscrew your gas cap..

3. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    lol!! never thought of that one...thanks Evan!!

4. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

fastest way to check and see the codes is to unplug the MAP sensor with the car running then plug it back in. Walk around sit in the car and look OH MY the dreaded check engine light is on. Go to the OBD screen and see and clear. Map sensor is located just below the aircleaner on the throttle body and has 5 wires coming into a plug from the RH side of the car.

5. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Does it work or sort of work. My old Motorola worked? Sort of. What service, phone book transfer, why does the phone work with IN-On and not Ready. Why is this night different from every other night. Norm Norm Norm we can not give up on this we just need more data.

6. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

I found an application the will monitor and log serial data. It looks like a good start. Now we just need a way to parse the data. Here's the site:
    http://www.hhdsoftware.com/serial-port-mon...ng-control.html

7. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  8. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There is one! My old Motorola v710 with V1 software that I still have! Daxx I can not help but think that all the clues are here. As for the next mystery item, You’ll pick the next one and we will latch on to it and bring it to ground!
    You can call me PM me and I will give you my phone. I just think that this is at the tip of our fingers .

9. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have a thought for new parameters to display. I have always wondered how many hours does the engine run. What is the percentage of time the ICE is on as apposed to the amount of time that the car is in ready mode. One could use information like that to improve your MPGs. As you decrease your % of ICE on time you are increasing the efficiencies of your driving. I just wonder if this is a doable parameter for the CAN-View. What do people think.

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that's a fantastic idea Henry. Reminds me of one of the functions of Ken's Super MID like the one used for the Prius Marathon. I think they ended up with something like 13% ICE-on time for their run.

I'm not sure if it would be best to calculate by dividing ICE RPM time over total time or by Fuel-flow time over total time? Thoughts?

My Dyno-Scan also has some functions based on the OBDII that would be nice.
    --Ambient Air Temp
    --Barometric Pressure
    --Manifold pressure
    --Time and Distance Since DTC code appeared
    --Time and Distance since DTC code cleared
    --Time since engine start
    --Catalytic Converter Temps
    --Maybe a Power vs Torque graph

None are absolutely necessary and I know there are limitations, but the more info the CAN-View can provide the more valuable of a tool it becomes.

11. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Mar 29 2006, 06:48 AM) [snapback]231758[/snapback]</div>
    While ICE RPM time would be interesting from the stand point of maintaining the car, kind of like they do with airplane engines, fuel flow time would be the ticket for driving efficiently.

12. eflier

eflier Silver Business Sponsor

People keep asking about a CAN-view for the 2006 Prius. I've explained that Toyota has moved away from the RGB video inputs used in the 2001 to 2005 and replaced them with a single wire digital video. Its quite likely that to use this new digital input requires more expensive technology that can be used in the very small quantities CAN-view is made in.

That does leave the back-up camera input (composite NTSC) installed in many 2006 Prii. (Although someone wrote that their package 4 does not have the camera and so may still use the 2005 MFD. Does anybody know for sure?)

Composite video is lower bandwidth than RGB and so displaying crisp text on the MFD becomes more difficult. DVD movies look excellent, but you have to look at text and character edges to be able to judge. As an experiment I connected a good quality RGB-composite converter and took some screen shots of identical screens, using a camera tripod and fixed focus to be a fair comparison. There are 2 screens shown, a parameter one and a graph one, both in RGB and composite.

You can see the results at http://www.hybridinterfaces.ca/testNTSC.html

Be aware that a 'frozen' photo does not show the jitter/wavering seen in composite video, so the composite pictures in the real world don't look quite so good.

I would welcome comments, especially from those who are interested in CAN-view for their 2006.

13. arniesalsared

arniesalsared Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eflier @ Mar 31 2006, 07:17 PM) [snapback]233175[/snapback]</div>
    Norm, not quite related to this discussion-but. Have you tried your Pioneer Nav after flashing the latest update?
    The new stuff works great, except the Pioneer Nav and the backup video have problems. Blank screen on the Nav, which then shows up on backup with the proper selection of video 1 or 2 on the setup screen. But without touchscreen function. And has no backup video. ?? Try the Nav and see if you have a similar problem. I also tried reversing video on setup and same problem.

Arnie :unsure:

14. eflier

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(arniesalsared @ Apr 1 2006, 10:08 AM) [snapback]233432[/snapback]</div>
    I hate to say this Arnie, but my Pioneer AVIC-88 works fine with the new code. What you describe is exactly what you would see if the Pioneer was plugged in the camera socket and the camera in the NAV socket.
    The 2 SCART sockets make look identical but only the one away from the MFD connector has the touch screen function which works with the Pioneer.

15. arniesalsared

arniesalsared Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eflier @ Apr 1 2006, 11:22 PM) [snapback]233652[/snapback]</div>

I hate to say this Norm, but one should never doubt the master! Master! :rolleyes:
    Had carfully marked them--backwards of course. Now the camera doesn't work, must be another cockpit error.
    Incidently, the kit came in about two days this time. Took 6 minutes and 30 seconds to solder in after my fruitless search for the non exsistant (in my version) colored wires. Also a bit of a learning curve to get the port configured properly in my CMOS setup afterwards.

Thanks again.

16. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Norm, is it there any way where we can measure current flow from the aux battery onto CANview? I had a disaster’s situation!! and want to prevent future one's alike. ;)

17. eflier

I'll try to update a few items here.
    1) I don't believe the current from the 12v auxiliary battery is monitored so there is no way to display it on CAN-view.

2) On the Bluetooth battle, I've posted new IE code CIapr156.hex which should fix the issue of what the last screen was but in this form it defeats beeps for the 1st 2 minutes and I hope after feedback that this can be reduced to just the first few seconds. There will be a 'standard' IE code release once this is resolved.

3) In the continuing effort to add PHEV capability, the amps measurement has been changed to more closely reflect real power contribution. It is now digitally filtered to match what a Fluke ammeter displays and so may show on hard acceleration more than the 125 amps max you are used to. But it is genuine. I have serially logged drives including hard acceleration from 0-60mph and with a starting SOC of 65% I can see currents of 140 amps for the first few seconds. This made me open up my newly acquired spare 2005 battery pack to see what its limits actually are. The ultimate limit is the 400V 125 amp slow blow PEC fuse, which is rated in their catalogue at room temperature to handle 137 amps for 4 hours without blowing, and second long pulses of 200 amps, so its not an issue.

4) The other observation is that the inverter servo loop controls this maximum discharge current to an average of about 125 amps over the 11 second 0-60 sprint (when the 'discharge limit' =125 amps) and also controld the charge current to an average of about 105 amps (when the 'charge limit'=105 amps). I leave to others to figure out why the 'discharge limit' collapes at high SOC when logically it should be the 'charge limit'. I am beginning to wonder if these are not separate charge/discharge limits at all, but perhaps short term/long term limits of both charge and discharge

5) you may notice new icons on the text screens for internal battery voltage and internal battery resistance, which are being used in PHEV calculations. This is still in the tweaking phase but for those interested for now to get a new reading for battery resistance, you need to have a steady state discharge of at least 40 amps followed by a steady charge of at least 10 amps. I see variations from .35 ohms from cold to 0.22 ohms hot. The end result allows an internal battery voltage display that doesn't follow the wild swings we are used to seeing from 170 to 270 volts during extreme charge/discharge cycles.

18. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eflier @ Apr 15 2006, 10:28 AM) [snapback]240204[/snapback]</div>
    I noticed all of that and it is not in the second screen. What is with the thottle display and 58%? Is this like the 5% solution. Watson get me the needle? Let us know what is going on? Also where do we sign up to beta test the PHEV? :lol: I would like it to be known that I have beta tested software including MS Word, Excel and Chart, on the Mac, among others. I am committed to pursuing each and every bug to its death. I will find time to drive to Canada, California or any other "C" state to have the extra battery installed!

OK I figured out the % thing it is my SOC and I see the throttle graph but what is the one on the right going left doing? I really like having the SOC there so I can remove that from my Page one for graphs. That effectively lets me have another graphic item.

19. eflier

After a great deal of code exchange (thanks Mike) the autostart problem with NAV has been resolved. Its all in the IE chip, and the fix involves a short delay after the Toyota logo disappears before trying to start CAN-view.
    The new IE code is at the bottom of the download page labelled 'CImike5'

This delay is not necessary if you don't have factory NAV, so for those people, just keep the old IE code you have and you won't get this start-up delay.

20. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    wtg Mike and Norm!!