1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CAN-View Software Updates

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by efusco, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Dmaximum

Dmaximum Junior Member

Palm Beach FLorida 2006 package#4 Silver Mica
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eflier @ Mar 31 2006, 08:17 PM) [snapback]233175[/snapback]</div>

Norm,

Thanks for entertaining the possibility for 06 Canview systems. I can only speak for myself, if the canview system worked on 06 models and cost an additional 40% because of needed hardware I would not hesitate to get one. For now I am waiting and hoping .....if anyone else is interested in Norm getting this going please post your comments ......

Regards
    DmAx

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dmaximum @ May 4 2006, 06:51 AM) [snapback]249646[/snapback]</div>
    Norm this seems like the Nav mod thing. I would imagine that there are those who will pay the premium to get CAN View. Only question is are these people enough to justify the cost of getting the parts and upgrades? I would imagine a dollar figure will settle the question.

3. unruhly

unruhly New Member

I'm very interested in getting this going. However, I know I'd be dissapointed with lowering the image quality using a composite signal. It's just too noisy for displaying text IMO.

Norm, feel free to PM me. I have a background in computer electronics and a 2006 Prius that we could *gulp* maybe use as a test bed. :unsure:

4. eflier

eflier Silver Business Sponsor

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(unruhly @ May 5 2006, 06:19 AM) [snapback]250164[/snapback]</div>
    If we rule out the composite video input that leaves the new single wire digital input for any 2006 MFD access.
    With the format unknown, you need a 2006 Prius with NAV to provide that signal for analysis and then put a scope/logic analyser on it and try to determine if it looks like anything 'standard' like MPEG for which chips might be available.

That experiment is the next logical step. Other engineers have suggested they would look into it on theri own 2006's but I have had no feedback yet.

Feel free to volunteer!

5. unruhly

unruhly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eflier @ May 6 2006, 03:18 PM) [snapback]250790[/snapback]</div>
    Dangit! I guess I've got my hand in the air, but it surely isn't very high. I'm worried about messin' up my car. :unsure:
    I do have an 06 with NAV. However, I don't have access to any test equipment and I know nothing about digital video signals. Good time to learn huh? If I had to guess, I would say they are using MPEG-2. Have you seen the cabling that the video is going over? Is it coax or twisted pair? I'm reviewing the wiring diagrams now, but if you have any ideas for other ways of determining the video stream, I'm all ears. Otherwise I'll have to see about renting some test equipment.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just installed the latest updates....honestly, I'd put it off and didn't expect to see much different, but had nothing better to do and recent discussion reminded me... so I put it in.

WOW do I love that EV screen! So much data and the way the power is graphed at the bottom is pretty slick...took me a few minutes to figure it out but I like it a lot now.

7. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

the "Trip" screen of the up-date today is really cool, worth the time to try it out. Nice to have the throttle graph on it as well.

8. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    The trip screen looks cool and very practical, very nice improvement to CANview. I have to try it to give my full comments. ;)

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ May 12 2006, 11:11 PM) [snapback]254567[/snapback]</div>
    Whoa! Where's that? I didn't see a 'trip screen'....

BTW, Norm, I found another little bug. When I hit the "audio" button when CAN-View has been up in auto-start mode if I hit 'audio' again it goes to the "I agree" screen but the screen is inactive (ie the soft key doesn't work). Do I have something set up wrong? I can only get back to CAN-View by hitting the INFO button twice.

Ok, I just went out and looked and I find not trip screen of any kind...someone help me out here.

Oh, had to reload the download page and scroll all the way to the bottom....looks like I'll HAVE to install that today. Thanks again Norm for your responsiveness.

10. eflier

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 13 2006, 01:43 PM) [snapback]254845[/snapback]</div>
    not a bug actually. Under the video set-up screen if you have "video 1 (or 2) toggles with AUDIO: YES" then hitting AUDIO will bring up which of those 2 video screens you have highlighted. 2 happens to be the NAV so you see the NAV screen but the NAV isn't on-line until you press MAP so the soft button doesn't work. So either select 1 (for camera/DVD) or press NO and SAVE and the AUDIO will no longer show you any external video screens.

Please note the trip screen is subject to a possible 2% error from machine to machine (depends on the chip oscillator) but it will at least be consistent, so the trip records can be compared from day to day.
    This is still a work in progress...

11. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eflier @ May 13 2006, 08:09 PM) [snapback]255003[/snapback]</div>
    Is a % run time for the ICE a possibility or a pipe dream? I also noticed we lost the break indicator for the graphing screens?

12. eflier

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ May 14 2006, 09:24 AM) [snapback]255210[/snapback]</div>
    I am working all hours to catch up with the PHEV aspects of this, but a % ICE run display seems a suitable thing to add when I'm finally caught up.

The standard CAN-view code ran out of any more flash ROM for changes which is why I had to start a different version for all the PHEV changes. The restraints imposed by all the options in the standard version were making further changes impossible

To make room, I've removed several features, that from customer comments are low on the want list, so yes, several items are now missing. My emails tell me basically to add or at least keep things on the numeric/text screens and that graph screens they could care less about so thats where I stole most space from (and will continue to do so as more space is needed) The Track screen and AVC dump are already gone.

Eventually I can remove all references to PHEV from the standard version which will give me room to put some of the new features in. But not any time soon.
    Thats why you now have to choose between versions.

As a totally unrelated aside, one customer with a version 3 noted that he didn't need to remove his CAN-view from the car to re-program, he could just power it from the Prius in accessory 1 mode and leave all the cables connected.

13. Frank Hudon

maybe it's time to consider doing what other software compaies do. Make the change to drop the graph screens but keep the code listed on your down load page for those that decide to keep the graph screens, those that want the updated features load the latest code and drop the graphs. If the space for new features isn't avaliable then give your customers the option of keeping the graphs and loose the new features. Best of both worlds sometimes have trade offs.

14. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Norm,
    I've only had about 3-4 start ups with the new code, but the trip screen always seems to start with 1 minute 49 seconds on the trip timer!?

15. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eflier @ May 14 2006, 10:55 AM) [snapback]255241[/snapback]</div>
    I may need a V3! I hate pulling the thing taking it apart and programing. I understand and totally support the PHEV project even if I may never get one because of cost, and of course death, mine when my wife finds out how much it costs! I would guess that in the end there may need to be two software versions one for the PHEV and one for the rest of us. I am sure that I will have a PHEV at some point on the way to who knows where! Thanks for considering the % run thing. I think it might just make me a better driver!

16. Frank Hudon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 14 2006, 02:36 PM) [snapback]255369[/snapback]</div>
    just checked her car and no it starts at 0, did you clear and restart it to see if it wasn't counting in appended mode?

17. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ May 14 2006, 07:18 PM) [snapback]255434[/snapback]</div>
    Huh? I did do a clear and when I do that it starts at zero, but when I restart the car after a shutdown everything is reset to zero except the timer...I'll check again tonight as I'm just leaving for work now. I don't know what appended mode is.

18. Frank Hudon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 14 2006, 09:11 PM) [snapback]255521[/snapback]</div>
    if you don't clear it, it starts the next trip by adding on to the last one. Norm's currently working on some parts of this. Get ready to flash it again.

19. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ May 15 2006, 12:05 AM) [snapback]255545[/snapback]</div>

Hmmm, that's not the way mine's behaving at all. It's resetting everything to zero every restart of the car, not adding to the previous (wish it did), but the timer is definately starting at 1min 39sec every time...odd.

20. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, a little more info.
    Last night's start up with the TEXT 1 Screen on auto-start. I almost immediately switched to the TRIP screen and sure enough it was at 1 min 43 seconds (I'm pretty sure it starts at 1min 39 sec.) already but everything else was cleared/zeroed.

Before I parked at work I did a SAVE on the TRIP screen before shut-down. At start up today the TRIP screen came up, of course, but it had not erased the old data and it started at the same time as I had stopped driving last night.

So, I'm thinking that this has something to do with starting up in something other than the TRIP screen.