1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CAN-View Software Updates

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by efusco, Feb 9, 2006.

1. eflier

eflier Silver Business Sponsor

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 15 2006, 08:16 AM) [snapback]255668[/snapback]</div>
    Have you tried the CLEAR on the trip screen followed by an immediate SAVE?
    I called it clear rather than the usual reset to distinguish the 2 functions as you might want to reset all other data but not the trip and vice versa. So doing a normal RESET and save does not clear any trip screen numbers; it will start start the next trip with whatever you last saved.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eflier @ May 15 2006, 11:35 PM) [snapback]256125[/snapback]</div>
    You know, I may have accidently done that. I'd switched to where the trip screen came up upon start up and had done the save right early and it seems like now it's maintaining the rolling trip log and coming up at zero time. I bet that's was my problem.

Also, Norm, what, exactly do the different colors of the throttle graph represent. I realize green is very light pedal pressure, yellow is a very narrow band b/w green and red, and red is moderate to hard pedal pressure. But why have the color change, esp. what purpose does the yellow serve? Is this something the PHEV guys are using for battery management to avoid kicking out of EV mode or something?

Finally, the AMPS read out doesn't seem to be the same in this version as the old. In particular I noticed that while sitting at a stop light when I usually have a -1.5 drain going that it was reading zero...lending me to think it isn't as sensitive as previously.

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

on the setup screen did you press the .A box to "no" which will now toggle the decimal point to 10 amps in 1 amp digits? That might be the problem but Norm will probably shoot me down on that too.

4. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ May 16 2006, 02:59 PM) [snapback]256449[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe...I wondered what that box did....I'll check it later.

5. Frank Hudon

flash it again Evan as Norm has updated it again today. This makes it even better as far as I'm concerened. Now we can toggle from the text screens thru to the trip just by pushing the back icon.

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ May 16 2006, 09:34 PM) [snapback]256613[/snapback]</div>
    Sweet...though I won't be able to do the flash until next week. My wife's got the car this week while I'm away fishing. And that is a good feature as I needed the Text screen but enjoy watching the Trip....now if only we could get that ICE-on %....

Also, Norm, in one of the incarnations it would be nice to have the ICE RPM on the TRIP screen so you can see when it's really off...or some sort of indicator.

BTW, can someone explain to me what the green/yellow/red colors for the throttle graph mean?

7. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Norm, When ever I stop and turn the car off the trip screen, now my start up, reads 33 Min and what ever seconds were left when I cleared the screen on stopping. It does not matter how long I stop an hour, 5 Min what ever 33 min. I will down load the newest update tomorrow.

8. Frank Hudon

Henry see post 142 on how to clear and save so you don't get the cummulative readout.

9. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ May 16 2006, 11:03 PM) [snapback]256707[/snapback]</div>
    I guess what I am saying it is not cumulative it is always 33 Min no matter how long I stop... 5 Min or 4 hours it is 33 min?

10. Frank Hudon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ May 16 2006, 11:13 PM) [snapback]256711[/snapback]</div>
    hit the clear button and then save if you don't do that it just keeps going from your last shut down.

11. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 16 2006, 11:20 PM) [snapback]256628[/snapback]</div>
    I still am on old code, but the throttle graph colors are to show where the engine will start. With good temperatures and a good battery charge stealth is green, Yellow is a warning you are about to start the engine and red is where the engine starts up.
    When you press the EV mode button the switch point moves over because you can use more throttle with engine off.

With lower temps or battery charge I find the engine starts can move down maybe 20% from where the yellow starts.

12. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I got this from Norm on the same subject:

Hi Henry, multiple code test with Mike to get the autostart to work. Now I need to figure out how short a delay I can get away with
    and still have autostart work with NAV.

I added a third text screen which you use the 'cycle' button to reach from either of the first 2 text screens. Just combines some fixed X2 size parameters with the
    throttle bar, all of which is still undergoing changes as the pHEV guys try to make their minds up.
    I haven't publicised the new throttle bar as they have already changed it on me once already.
    But from left to centre is the throttle, marked in yellow and red at 25/27.5% for stealth and changing to 45/50% for EV.
    right backwards to centre is the battery voltage as suposedly the next important item that will cause you to drop out of EV mode.
    When its finished and they stop making me do changes, I may add a battery myself, but not yet, can't afford to make expensive mistakes.
    At that point I will describe things properly on the web site.
    Norm

That was a month ago heaven knows what it is now! I think the PHEV guys should give us all batteries to beta test. What say you! Sign Yeah for yes!

13. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ Apr 15 2006, 08:35 PM) [snapback]240387[/snapback]</div>
    I looked through the messages after this message, but I must've missed the answer. What does the graph on the other side of the screen measure?

14. eflier

eflier Silver Business Sponsor

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ May 18 2006, 08:43 PM) [snapback]257859[/snapback]</div>
    it shows pack voltage scaled to go yellow then red near the centre at 180 volts.
    Pack voltage dropping below 180v is supposedly the 2nd most likely cause of dropping out of EV mode, so
    combined with accelerator position increasing towards the centre and voltage decreasing towards the centre, you have the 2 main culprits. There are others but it would just get way too messy and confusing.
    OK its confusing anyway....

15. Presto

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ah yes.. it seems so obvious now. I like that additiional pack voltage bar. The new trip function is also awesome. It's nice to know what my avg FE is for a given trip.

16. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have the Nav option on and I tried the Costal E Tech EV mode on start up and it did not work. I am going to turn it off and see what happens?

17. Presto

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The metric fuel economy is great! The trip screen is a very nice feature as I've been interested in acquiring session information for quite a while. I also liked having the battery temp on the graph screen that's in the latest May updates.

18. Frank Hudon

was out for a drive today and had the trip screen on and noticed that the speed was only within 1-2 km of the speedo on the dash. Question.. do others see this as well and now the question is the Speedo information buffered and then displayed as the CAN-view reads from the CAN and displays what it says.

19. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, noticed the same, figured that either the speedo display of the car doesn't sample as often or is buffered to prevent dramatic jumps. Might be nice if the Cruise control was tied to the more sensitive readings to keep it a bit tighter control.

20. Frank Hudon

actually had the cruise on at 111 Km per hour and it really keeps it at 111 up slight hills and down. At least tighter than the Volvo V70 that decided to be a rear bumper ornament. He'd close in on the down grade and loose on the up hills and we both pulled off at the same off ramp him 2 car lengths in front of me after he got mad and passed me. Oh ya the off ramp was 14 KMs from where he got in behind me.