1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CAN-View Software Updates

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by efusco, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I like to have the custom graph screen on start-up so in order to have my trip start fresh, I'll clear the trip, and switch to my Graph 2 and SAVE. This takes less than 2 seconds so it has little effect on the Trip time. If you push Save at any time, that will also save the trip information regardless of what screen you're on. It'd be nice to just have the Trip reset upon start-up or have an option for it.

I noticed the average fuel economy on the trip screen is affected when the car is not in motion and the ICE is off.

I like to have the custom graph screen on start-up so in order to have my trip start fresh, I'll clear the trip, and switch to my Graph 2 and SAVE. This takes less than 2 seconds so it has little effect on the Trip time. If you push Save at any time, that will also save the trip information regardless of what screen you're on. It'd be nice to just have the Trip reset upon start-up or have an option for it.

I noticed the average fuel economy on the trip screen is affected when the car is not in motion and the ICE is off.

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Looks like there is a new software update on the CAN View site. I am going to download it later today and install.

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I had a look and it's for the "plug in guys" mainly relay controls.

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ May 29 2006, 05:08 PM) [snapback]262512[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, Boo Hoo. I was hoping for a ICE on (or off) % in the trip monitor.

5. timster

timster Junior Member

Hi all,

I've got a 2004 model with factory NAV and the Coastal Nav mod (that auto-pushes the Nav warning & hits the "override" button for me), and I would like to keep this mod. But I would also like to buy the CanView (version 3)!

It seems that both of these mods are connected in nearly the same place, and they both send different inputs to the Multi-screen.

So here's my obvious question: Does the CanView (ver 3) work OK in this configuration, or will there be cabling and/or usage problems?

If it will work (I hope so), does the ver 3 automatically support standard VGA input from a PC/laptop, or does it still require a converter (if so, what do I need)?

Thanks a bunch,
    Tim

6. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(timster @ Jun 9 2006, 03:53 PM) [snapback]268905[/snapback]</div>
    I have seen a post that it works but I have not yet done the experment. As for the second question yes you need a converter go to Eifler's site and look here http://www.hybridinterfaces.ca/extvid.html. I am using it for a backup camera.

BTW should this be moved to Technical Forum, now that things are reorganized around here?

7. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ Jun 9 2006, 06:49 PM) [snapback]268959[/snapback]</div>
    My guess it that maybe it should be moved.

8. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eflier @ Mar 31 2006, 08:17 PM) [snapback]233175[/snapback]</div>
    I would definitely be interested in the CAN-View for the 2006.

9. BobSoNH

BobSoNH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eflier @ Mar 31 2006, 08:17 PM) [snapback]233175[/snapback]</div>
    I'm definitely interested also. I'll probably get ScanView when the next version is ready, but what I really want is CAN-view!

10. psibill

psibill Junior Member

I can't find an email address on their website (can-view) to ask questions, like, why have a separate display for the '06 Prius and not just integrate to the existing display?

I know it says something about the '06 MFD not being RGB, and digital, but why should that be a problem?

Thanks.

11. eflier

eflier Silver Business Sponsor

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill-psi @ Jul 5 2006, 05:06 PM) [snapback]281695[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Bill, you could compare RGB with what a computer monitor uses and composite NTSC with what a TV uses (or at least used to use...) RGB allows much sharper images and it was available with the 2004/2005 MFD so thats what I used. The 2006 has removed that input. It has composite NTSC (for the camera) but its just not good enough for legible text.
    It also has a new pure digital input, used by the new NAV. If I could make a circuit to talk to that, I could indeed integrate to the existing 2006 display. But its all down to economics. Spending the time to do the reverse engineering for that and then making a custom digital chip to match the Toyota signal would make sense if there were potentially thousands of orders. But the reality is there is just me alone doing this as a hobby and the number of people interested in a CAN-view or a scan-gauge for their 2006 Prius is just a few dozen at most.

I am focussing more on CAN-view for controlling plug-in conversions and for this application the display is not really necessary, so a separate display for those few who want it and for technicians setting up a conversion makes more sense.

So while a digital 2006 CANview might be a neat project to do, I just don't have the resources to do it. Sorry!

12. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eflier @ Jul 5 2006, 07:33 PM) [snapback]281767[/snapback]</div>
    With the right video circuitry you can do amazing things with composite... Back in the day, the Commodore 64 and Atari 800 computers output legible 40 column text in composite. More recently, the Amiga line of computers offered high-quality composite output and with some creative anti-aliasing you could get really good results.

(I'm a 2006 owner, so I'm trying to plant ideas in your head! :) )

From the pictures I've seen of the CAN-view interface, I think I have seen the character generator output chip you are using in action before. It doesn't have the best signal quality, but if it has an input for an external video sync generator or genlock, it will output a fine signal with a proper sync fed to it. It might be worth looking into.

Also, as a last resort, you could turn off the chroma signal. All of the resolution problems in NTSC composite video stem from color encoding. Go to grayscale, and everything becomes much, much more sharp. Do you know if the 2006 MFD will accept a composite signal with no chroma?

- Bob R.

13. eflier

Time for an update that has nothing to do with plug-ins or relays. The software to add the PHEV relay code used up so much space that in order to add the EV and trip screens, some items had to be discarded. Which CAN-view owners without relays have put up with in order to get the trip screens.

Well, I have now done a separate version with all the relay code removed which let me put back in 4 of the graphs which had been removed. It also gave me room to add a new screen which some have asked for. This code is now available for download at www.hybridinterfaces.ca/downloads.html. You need both the CAN code SCjul146.hex and the video code SVjul146.hex but the IE code hasn't changed.
    On the EV parameters screen, there is a new small button at the bottom marked'M/G'
    [attachmentid=4150]
    Pressing this brings up a new screen which records miles per US gallon in steps of 1 mile instead of the 5 minutes the MFD does. (The values are from a bench simulator, not from my Prius)
    [attachmentid=4148]
    You can accomodate extremes by touching the SCALE button which cycles through 5 different vertical scales and then does a numeric table so you can see actual MPG figures:
    [attachmentid=4149]
    CLEAR starts everything off again from scratch without clearing collected data on other screens.

For those few who do not live in the USA, if you had selected degrees Celsius instead of Fahrenheit at the general set-up page, you would see everything in litres, kms and L/100km
    This feature is NOT available in the version of code for plug-ins.
    I've driven it for a couple of days but Frank Hudon has already found 1 bug (now corrected)
    Enjoy!

14. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eflier @ Jul 14 2006, 04:24 PM) [snapback]286463[/snapback]</div>
    Looks great and I am across the country!! I will get to it on Monday. Rats!

15. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Way to go! I guess that the mpg / mile display is one of the most requested up grades. Why not a sub menu of the trip display, rather than the EV display? I guess I would have placed it on the trip display. FWIW Is there any hope for a % ICE on unit? I know that the mpg/mile display has greater demand but I think there are more than a few "hyper-milers" or aspiring hyper-milers that would like that information to improve our driving skills! Ken has one why not me?

16. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

Just tried it!

Love the new displays. And add my vote for a % ice on readout on the trip screen.

I do see quite a difference in mpg average between the Toyota display and the trip display. The can view seems to be overly optimistic on the mpg.

The new EV text screen is super. I wiill see if I can adjust to using it for my main screen. Has a bit more than I need, but covers everything important in one place.

Any chance the trip graph could be upgraded to read in 5 or 10 increments, and maybe have a few horizontal grid lines?
    Be easier to read. Scaling at 64 or 128 etc seems hard to decipher.
    Just one scale at 0-100 mpg would do great for all my driving esp with maybe 10 or 20 mpg grid lines.

17. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ICE-on % would be very nice....my number one request for the next upgrade.

Norm, any way to make the CAN-View available via the INFO button on the steering wheel...ie. where it would cycle through Energy->Consumption->CAN-View->Energy->etc....??

I'll updload the new software on Thursday.

18. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jul 18 2006, 06:44 AM) [snapback]288096[/snapback]</div>
    I think there was a reason for not being able to get access from the steering wheel buttons but it was posted a long time ago and I can not find it. I am sure Norm will enlighten us. BTW thanks for the up date I really like the mile read out and go back and forth between that and the timed MPG built in. It is very interesting to see the differences and to compare the route with the terrain. It is a great addition.

19. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I like it and I like it very much ( and more after the graph fix from left to right , these DAM bugs), another great improvement to a very usefull Prius accesory. The consumption History pages is a nice thing to have but I'm seing the Trip page cycling thru the "M/G+" button, is that normal?
    As Evan commented: "ICE-on % would be very nice....my number one request for the next upgrade"
    I sign-up for it to ;)

20. eflier

well seeing as you all ganged up on me, I've added an "ICE %" on display to the trip screen
    (Posted codes SCjul216 and SVjul216)
    I've also cleaned up a few bugs in the MPG calculations.
    The ICE timer runs whenever it 'thinks' the ICE is doing work. By which I mean if its consuming fuel, the
    counter runs, but if its merely spinning at 950rpm at highway speed without using fuel, then that doesn't count.

I'm not clear how useful such a % ICE on figure is because it says nothing about how hard the ICE is working, but that's your problem!
    Norm
    That's it, vacation time.