1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can View

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by hdrygas, Nov 21, 2005.

1. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Dave how about a private showing of the Can View. I want to drool. After Thanksgiving? What do you say?

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    sounds good. we should get a meeting going and compare our ipod groupings. the thing i am excited about is that the current version of CANVIEW has the method to get even more data out of it. now gotta be able to look at a rolling menagerie of hexidecimal code and make sense of that, but we have all kinds of programmers here so im more than content to have them figure it out and get the update when it comes down the pipe.

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I can read hex with a pen paper and a table or calculator to covert but it takes time a lot of time, I reserve that for important stuff like hacking games.

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Dave I am back!

5. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    welcome back!!

glad you made it through the pass ok.

ssssooo wanna see the CANVIEW now that there may be a option to get one even if you have NAV?

well i do give a guy a ride home couple times a week, he lives off Mullen and Marvin so i can stop by then. would be around 7:30 ish. is that ok. if not, we can meet for coffee somewhere maybe this saturday?

6. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    OK it happened and I am in love with the CAN View. I love the Hex display what a challenge! The data is great. Everyone needs a CAN View.

7. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Don't even worry about the hex. Eventually you don't even see the code anymore, you only see the Matrix.

Nate

8. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

ain't that baby sweet? I just wish I got to use the 2k4 more so I can make more sense of the data compared to the 2k3. Love seeing the regen amperage and voltage. The 2k4 battery useage is much more agressive than on the Classic. Also the fuel useage compared to the RPM is very informative. You actually get to see the ICE spinning and using no fuel. And the ICE temp display is what has been needed all along. Now you can shut down the airflow thru the front of the car and not sit in the drivers seat sweating about if your frying things under the hood. I like the "formatted screen" for total information at trip end. Hit menu and go to the formatted screen and have a close look at what all happened. If the Nav version was available right now Norm would be awake 18 hours a day building them. I jsut wish someone with nav would visit him and let him start to find all the memory locations of all the button pushing on the nav. Best value in a "display of data" available right now in my opinion. Even the base version only takes an hour to install and still gives all the data on the MFD.

9. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Did you see my post on the Audio and Electronics about the red pill? The Matrix was my first thought when I saw the Hex display.

10. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the info the CANVIEW provides is definitely an eye opener... i am amazed at how much current is generated even with the slightest touch of the brakes.

coasting, you might get 3-5 amps, but even the lightest touch on the brakes will jump it up to 10-20... a HUGE increase. many times i can just barely feel the drag on the car and still a 300-400% increase... wild...

11. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Dave I forgot to ask how are you using CanView? Do you use any of the standard displays? I watch the ScanGage but also the Energy Monitor to see when I am in glide mode. How are you using the CanView to improving your driving.

12. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    im usually just on the user screen since i can decide which 5 things to look at. and it all really depends on what i am doing.

at lower speeds i would have the RPM's on since that is the best way to determine if im in EV mode.

also i just posted a blog on my CANVIEW gas gauge and so had that on in place of the Watts measurement so i could track the tank reading past the blinking bar on the Prius gas gauge.

best thing i like is the AMPs that allow me to check the charge rate effects of various things like the defrost, headlights, and the differences in the regen rate when coasting and braking.

am also tracking the change in the ICE temps. the rate at which the engine warms up is faster than i thought, but as i mentioned to you, i noticed that at street level speeds and cold (cold for us anyways...) temps in the lower 30's it struggles to warm up.

as i mentioned, i still notice that the best i can get is only 170-175º give or take a few degrees when driving 35 mph because of the cooldowns when hitting EV mode for those 30-90 second bursts. on the freeway, i jump immediately to about 190 +/- a few and pretty much stay right there. cant help but feel that 190º on the streets would boost my mileage a little...

13. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Keep everyone posted about what you learn. I have great curiosity about what is happening when I do the brakes!

14. D0li0

D0li0 New Member

Say, I just wanted to pop in and say that I'm in Seattle, Wa and also have a CAN-View installed and would be happy to show it off to anyone in this area... I'm also heading to the Quad-Cities, Illinois in a week and might be able to get together with anyone there or on the way...

L8r
    Ryan

15. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Are there any Colorado CAN-Views out there? I'm really interested in getting one and probably will soon. I'd love to see it in action first. DaveinOlyWA et. al keep us posted. Very interesting thread. BTW, do you feel like this is a quantum leap in driver/veh interaction beyond normal Prius driving? It seems like with all of the monitoring that it's like the difference between flying a plane and a helicopter. The data gleaned seems worth it though.

16. _echo

_echo Junior Member

Just finished a half install this weekend, and can view is probably the coolest piece of hardware out there for the Prius, heck for ANY car.

Has anyone out there managed to coax windows to output 15.75Khz/60Hz on a VGA port? If this is done, you don't need a scan converter (less wire mess, and a MUCH cleaner signal.) I'm curently looking at powerstrip, but it dosen't seem to want to go that low. I know I can force X to do this with some video cards, so this might be a better option.

One of the things I'm looking to do is to run mapping software for the PC (at $79, _including_ GPS receiver) it's a LOT cheaper than any other GPS solution out there. Even if you upgraded it every year for 10 years, it is still cheaper than the typical car navigation system..

Winamp in the car would be another nice feature to have.

17. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Soon to be me. I'm up in Longmont, I work in Louisville. I've got all the nice tools and I used to be a Certified Toyota Master Tech, so my garage is a good place to do the install.

I'll let you know when I get my CAN view.

Nate

18. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sweet. I'm in Westminster.

19. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I put in an order for the CAN View for the Nav car. Just a few more things to work out at it will be a reality! I volunteered as a guinea pig for the new connector as well. I am looking forward to it.

20. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

ok Henry Let me know when your going over there and I'll go out and give you two a hand to do the install. I'd like to have a look at the system when it's all up and running as I've never seen a factory Nav system. And I need a flash anyhow. Let me know:)