1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can we create a comparison of PHEV kits?

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by adric22, Jul 30, 2010.

1. kiettyyyy

kiettyyyy Plug-In Supply Engineer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Pure EV range * PlugINSolutions 10Kwh system

That's right. No one here will tell you how the "firmware update" will make the kit perform better.

It's similar to how you guys don't quite publish/release/reveal how the 70 mph engine off software works.

Unfortunately, the cells have not been changed. I just changed how often the PHEV pack is used to increase range.

Just FYI, the 4.0 firmware has officially been released. Plug-In Supply users can now contact their dealer for more information!

1 person likes this.
  2. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Re: Pure EV range * PlugINSolutions 10Kwh system

Personally, as long as you are putting the advertised range, along with the real-world expected range (which you were, last I checked) then I'd prefer that. As a consumer of many electronics devices it is very frustrating how manufacturers will really stretch the numbers on things. And even though I'd love to see every Prius on the road outfitted with a plug-in kit of some kind, I'd also want each of those drivers to have a proper expectation of what that kit will really do. And I don't mind when a manufacturer says "UP TO" some number.. that is fine, as long as it can be proven that a scenario exists where that figure can actually be achieved in the real world. But they should also provide an a figure that reflects real-world experiences as well.

3. Mesuge

Mesuge New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a bit unfortunate that both Andrew and Kiet can't agree on some standard metrics here, which could serve as very universal yardstick for all these various kits. Especially nowadays when it's relatively easy to apply gps/elevation/speed data into dry/computer model, which follows particular vehicle platform.

It seems to me that Kiet is pushing the best case scenario, while Andrew is on the over cautious side. Specifically, the internal resistance of the latest gen Calb/Sky/Thundersky is not as high as mentioned by several%, plus their nameplate/specsheet capacity rating is actually a bit higher in meassurable reality by several%. Also if you throw the test vehicle in 40-45mph avg. speeds on flat terrain (no intervening traffic) and good weather, the PIS numbers are more or less correct.

However, undertake the the similar comparison in winter, lot of stop and go traffic, few hills, avg. speeds rather positioned and attacking the upper 50-60mph zone. And it's obvious the Prius platform with ~10kWh pack (before 70-80% DOD derating) can't even hit 30mi range! It's just basic physics, lets acknowledge that.

The true is somewhere in the middle..

=> conclusion, the PHEV clearly shines in the blended mode, for EVmode simply have to accept severe range derating (from official numbers) with current batt. technology when the right conditions are not there (weather, avg. speeds, traffic, slope, ..) but I'd not worry about it, just accelerate to speed on ICE power and continue in EV mode, if the avg. speeds are to high on your route, change the route, otherwise use the blended mode and reserve EV mode for those very slow zones or bumper-2-bumper events.

Oh, look around, it's just the same story as Volt and Leaf, and shortly before Tesla got into hands of public, you can easily derate the official specs numbers by more than factor of 50% in less than favorable conditions. So addon PHEVs can't be some exception. This might come as a shocking news for latecomers lurking for "green" automotive options, but that has been rather old story in the EV world..

2 people like this.