1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can you access the 2020 Prime's cameras from home ?

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by GKL, Jan 31, 2020.

Tags:
  1. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I found a podcast about the latest news about EVs and hybrids in general, not specifically the Prius Prime though I had heard an episode where they talked about the Prius Prime in the past.

Recently I heard an episode which included a comment about being able to access a car's cameras from your home if you had Alexa at home and a Fire TV or Echo Show and the car has Alexa.

I was wondering if it would work with the 2020 Prius Prime which has Alexa, it would be neat to see from home what your car "sees" with it's cameras ! Anyone try this yet ?

Listen to the episode at the link below from about the 5:50 minute mark to hear a comment about accessing a car's cameras from your home if the car has Alexa in it also -

07 Jan 2020 | Musk Force One Heads To China For Model 3 Handovers EV News Daily - Electric Car podcast

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    From a security stand point, you want your infotainment software completely separate from the software that operates your car.

I sincerely hope Toyota is wise enough not to let the operational software be compromised by an out side network.

(If outside forces alter the infotainment system, it almost has to be an improvement)

So please, no cell access to the software than controls the driving. no internet access, no wireless CAN bus. It is bad enough that they will be able to alter the heating and GPS destination!

Bluetooth is such short range, that the risk there is not as great.

GKL likes this.
  3. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks for the input, but I remember reading that with the old Entune program I think they allowed you to access your car as far as remotely turning on the heat or A/C from your home using Alexa if I remember reading correctly. I don't think it would be done thru Bluetooth, but maybe thru your secure data connection as far as the camera access.

4. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If you have learned anything from the internet, there are NO secure data connections. Ever. If you want it secure, do not allow access.

So I do not want any access to parts that you use to operate the car. Update those at the dealer, with a hard wired connection.

GKL likes this.
  5. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I can appreciate wanting to be careful, nothing wrong with that, but it seems there are wireless connections involved in high tech cars nowadays, like the built-in "sos" feature that notifies whatever operator if it senses the car was in a crash, and the cars with the already built-in Alexa connects to the internet. So if you want to be truly disconnected there might be several systems you might need to disconnect in order to have a regular "non-tech" car.

I also believe in being careful, but I still want to enjoy the benefits of the advanced tech they build into the cars nowadays.

6. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  7. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Security issues asides, AFAIK there is no way to connect to the forward camera in PRIME from anything from home or even inside of the car wireless or wired. The camera is exclusively used for the TSS-P (PCS, LDA, DRCC, AHB) system, I have no reason to believe Toyota will allow easy hacking into the system from your home.

8. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Alexa is built-in on some models of Toyota and connects to the internet, but just wondering as I really don't know, but has there been any actual reported incidents of any customers complaining about their Toyota being hacked ?

#8 GKL, Feb 1, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  9. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Maybe it would just be the back up camera then ? I'm not sure if this ability applies to all cars with Alexa ability or just specific brands/models, the reason I asked to begin with is according to the comment in the podcast on my original post it sounds like being able to access the cameras from home was not done as a hack but simply something Alexa was able to do.

I probably need to go to that podcast web site and email the host and ask if he meant any cars with Alexa or if he was referring to just specific brands/models.

10. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If OP is asking about the back-up camera, there may be a way to hack. It may not be easy or worth trying, but the fact aftermarket head unit can be wired to the OEM backup camera makes me think it is possible. That said, being able to access the camera from home, the car must be supplying the power to the camera and whatever the rigs to send the signal to home. This makes me think it is not worth the effort, for letting 12V battery drain on Prius is the last thing you want.

11. GSK

GSK Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The Alexa in the Prius Prime is not the Alexa that you may be expecting based on some of these comments. It has no link to any home Alexa device, for example (as far as I can tell anyway)

12. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It is like you are willfully not listening. Having Alexa for your infotainment is fine. Letting it control any part of driving is a death sentence. Keep them separate, don't let hackers control the driving remotely.

13. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Definitely not referring to doing any hacking, the podcast comment mentioned in the first post makes it sound like something Alexa can do without any hacking.

14. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I've seen commercials advertising Alexa in cars where it shows a person driving and asking Alexa in their car to turn on lights in their home.

15. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I was not meaning to infer allowing Alexa to control driving, but from commercials I've seen it shows Alexa in the car connecting with Alexa in your home to do non-driving functions.

16. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you have used any Alexa enabled devices, you will know what Alexa is and what it can do and its limitations. It is just voice control UI, not much. It can be connected via the internet to give specific commands Amazon calls "skills" to IoT smart devices, but Prime's backup camera is not one of them at least not in my 2017 PRIME Premium. I highly doubt that has changed in the 2020 model.

17. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Okay thanks, maybe the comment made by the host of that podcast was only meaning to refer to accessing the cameras of specific models of cars with Alexa other than Primes and not all cars with Alexa.

18. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you just want a dash camera accessible from anywhere, there are tons of aftermarket cameras available for that purpose. The biggest problem with those cameras is that if you hardwire it with a car for power, you will be risking draining 12V battery.

19. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks, but it's not a big deal or anything I was originally trying to find before I heard that episode of that podcast, the thread was simply an inquiry to see if any Prius owners had been able to do what the host in that podcast mentioned. If not, that's fine, I was simply curious after hearing the comment in that podcast.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm getting GKL AND GSK confused (n)

Salamander_King likes this.