1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can you disable the horn entirely without affecting other functions?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by priuslyfe, Aug 27, 2023.

1. priuslyfe

priuslyfe Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Would like to turn off my horn. Rather than remove it I would like to disable it so it isn't usable.

there are two horns in front of the radiator. should I disable both or which is the main horn?

thanks.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why would you not want to have a horn? That's insane! Have you ever driven without a horn? Back in High School in the 80's I had a broken horn in the car I was driving... It almost got me killed multiple times.

I remember one time I got behind a giant UPS truck on a steep hill and he was lost and couldn't see me in his mirrors and started backing up really fast and I didn't have a horn so I started screaming and he didn't hear me. Finally he stopped and I started to get out of my car to let him know I was there and he started backing up again and I had to jump in and floor it again. Almost lost the whole front end of the car and it was my sister's car not mine.

There's so many moments when driving around idiots that you will die if you don't have a horn!

xliderider and priuslyfe like this.
  3. priuslyfe

priuslyfe Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

my car alarm keeps going off in the middle of the night (horn). I've looked at all the other priuschat threads about how to fix an errant alarm and have checked all the typical symptoms. I live very close to my neighbors and this can't keep happening.

there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to why its going off and I can't be negligent about lettiing this happen. I rarely use the horn while driving so it seems like a suitable solution.

4. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    You should probably fix your alarm and/or put a camera on your car.

Your alarm could be going-off, because someone is testing it to see if they can steal your CAT. If the alarm goes off; they just keep walking - otherwise they jack it up and your CAT and sensor is gone....

Just saying........

PS. The answer to your question is unplug both horns behind your grill.....

priuslyfe likes this.
  5. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In the short term, just disconnect the 12v battery at night... You could even wire in a simple switch on the negative terminal wire. But in the long run you have to figure out why this is happening. It could be the button on your key fob malfunctioning and putting the fobs in a metal box or far enough away from the car could diagnose it. Or it could be some prankster that's messing with you?

priuslyfe likes this.
  6. priuslyfe

priuslyfe Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

QUESTION: Does lifting or rocking the car trigger the alarm?

I don't know for sure. But nothing else is touched in my car and I've left the doors unlocked. Doesn't go off at any other time except in middle of the night which would suggest theft or someone messing with the car though. Its either happened very rarely or I've happened to sleep through the alarm horn going off.

Also last night at 4am I saw that as i turned off the alarm via starting the car my neighbors house-lights were on so he definitely heard it and likely awoke because of it.

7. priuslyfe

priuslyfe Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  8. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's no motion sensor in Gen2 alarm... In my 2007 it's not really even an alarm, just a panic button on the FOB. which is why I suggested making sure your FOB can't talk to your car at night.

priuslyfe likes this.
  9. priuslyfe

priuslyfe Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How can my keyfob communicate from roughly 30yds away inside of the house. That said,, I've switched my main keyFOB to my spare and took the battery out of my main. Hopefully this fixes it. Also batteries are at most 2 weeks old as I bought the necessary batter for a guitar tuner as well.

moreover, WHY does it only go off if at all in the middle-of-the-night? my feeling is that it may be some animal crawling on the car.

btw: does leaving the windows open OR car unlocked or any other simple function solve the issue?

10. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is a built in alarm system which can be enabled or disabled using Techstream. From the factory this system does not have a tilt sensor but if the car was bought used a previous owner might have installed one. (It is wired to one of the door open lines, pulling its voltage low if it detects a tilt, just like opening the door pulls it low.) Easy enough to test; turn off the car, lock it, wait 5 minutes or so, then quickly jack up one corner of the car. Shake the car if you think a motion sensor might have been installed. The factory system only goes off if a locked door is opened (like the window was open and somebody reached in). I believe that in some countries there was an option for a broken glass sensor, but I don't recall if that was available in the US. I don't suggest smashing a window to see if there is a broken glass sensor!

priuslyfe likes this.
  11. priuslyfe

priuslyfe Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I have a Autel AP200 code reader. supposed to be pretty good. can it disarm the alarm as well via code reader?

12. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The Autel is pretty good, but I don't think it can access the "customization" menu. That said, I don't remember seeing any option to disable the alarm (I could be wrong).

As far as your alarm going off, my first thought is that you have a glitchy latch switch - often it's the tailgate, but could be the hood or one of the doors.

You might look through BCM data and see if it has anything about alarm event trigger. Or see if one of the door - hood - tailgate ajar switches is activating when it shouldn't. Monitor the data (carefully) while driving. Does the red tailgate light on the dash ever flicker on?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

priuslyfe likes this.
  13. priuslyfe

priuslyfe Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

Thank you. Does nighttime have anything to do with it? (i.e. some random sensor powered by solar) This has only happened once before that i can recall but both times in the dead of night. Took me about 10 horn blasts to even get up and check that it was my car. I have a feeling I've slept through other times the alarm went off though.

I am going to unplug the 12V battery tonight because my neighbors have to work tomorrow morning and can't have that happen again.....really starting to think someone did try to break in and then ran off.

I have tried to have the same conditions all day parked under a tree (its also windy out that made me consider maybe a branch fell on the windshield triggering the alarm last night)....yet no alarm all day.

14. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the hatch sensor is iffy it might be going off if cats walk on the hatch. I don't think there is a hood sensor, but I might be wrong.

Try parking the car, lock it, wait a half an hour, then go and shake all the doors, hatch, and hood (just in case). Hard. If it doesn't go off then it probably isn't a problem with a door/hatch sensor.

priuslyfe likes this.
  15. priuslyfe

priuslyfe Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

thank you. havent' tried the failsafe breaking into my own car method but will give it a try. hopefully I still have a decent COVID mask to wear for full-effect.

16. lexidium

lexidium Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I unlock mine and then press lock every time I get out.
    If I press lock twice, The alarm goes off at the drop of a hat.

17. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Be sure the mechanic key exists/works, unless you're leaving the vehicle unlocked.

18. Fodor362

Fodor362 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Stumbled across this thread while researching horn replacements. In my Gen III Prius, I had an alarm triggering periodically and it seemed to happen only at night and typically a few nights in a row. Ended up finding the culprit to be an empty energy drink can that had the lid tightened back on and laying on the front passenger floor, specifically one of the tall Monster drinks w/ a cap on it. As temps dropped at night - it would cause the can to make a metallic ping noise which in turn was triggering the glass break sensor.

Pioneerscot and SFO like this.
  19. Pioneerscot

Pioneerscot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was onto the same thought process for the OP, but my thought was, a door or rear hatch that was slightly damaged , or even just needing adjustment, and as the temp at night changed the door or hatch would change shape or shift slightly