1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can you install a governor on a 2010 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Victor E. Sasson, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Victor E. Sasson

Victor E. Sasson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My son recently got a speeding ticket of nearly triple digits in our 2010 Prius. This is a continuing problem: speeding and driving fast in the car he borrows from my wife, but this is his first ticket. Still, I'd love to install a governor to limit the car to 75 mph. Is that possible?

2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I wouldn’t modify the car in any way as it is not the problem. It’s the driver that is putting other lives endanger that should be corrected instead.

3. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I think you might do better getting alerts from a teen-tracker like this one

RMB likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Interesting app.

Still, I think I'd just confiscate the keys for a goodly while.

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Fairly certain they have phone apps you can get that come with device that plugs into OBD2 port so parents can monitor their kid's driving in real time. But if I had a kid who got a triple digit speeding ticket in a car that he borrowed from my wife he would't be borrowing her car anymore. And it's not just the speeding ticket, it's the fact that if that's the only thing he got caught for, think of all the other kind of stupid he's probably doing with that car as well.

Pluggo and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At least he isn't Al Gore's son, who got ticketed for fully triple digits with chemical enhancement, in an older/slower generation Prius. The whole nation got to hear about that one.

Speed is already limited electronically by the ECUs (internal computers). Does anyone know if Techstream or Carista have an ability to lower the setpoint?

7. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    As in forever. Driving is a privilege, and he has abused that privilege. The shoe leather express should give him a fresh perspective.

8. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wouldn't it just be easier, and cheaper to NOT let him drive YOUR cars??????

#8 ASRDogman, Aug 14, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    milkman44 and Grit like this.
  9. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    MOST male children are/were guilty of violating traffic laws. Take the keys for a time you determine adequate, make HIM pay the fine and make HIM pay the jack on insurance rates.

Pluggo and Grit like this.
  10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That was the old days. Today, things are more equal opportunity.

11. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :rolleyes: He was discussing his Son...so I stayed on topic.

12. smokiejoe

smokiejoe Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hmm, now where was that Fuel Economy Curve posted months back. What was the Gas Mileage at 100mph. I believe there is some drop off. ;)

bisco and dig4dirt like this.
  13. Stangar

Stangar Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    2010 traveling at close to 100 mph? Give him a few more opportunities like that and you won't have to worry about him going any speed. He'll either crash it or the engine will blow. Pray that no one gets hurt.

ASRDogman likes this.
  14. mpg_numbers_guy

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Easier solution - confiscate the keys and make him get his own car and insurance.

Problem solved. Or if not, then it's not your problem anymore.

15. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As others have said, if he wants to drive fast do it in his own car. My first car barely got to 90mph and the whole thing shook like crazy and sounded like it was trying to attempt a take-off. Frankly it was embarrassing enough that I didn't use the speed unless I really wanted to. I paid for my own car, registration, and insurance working part time essentially flipping burgers as a HS kid.

I don't know where in the country you are, but limiting it to 75mph is somewhat dangerous if you decide to drive out West like Colorado, Utah, or Texas specifically. The speed limit is 75mph to 85mph in places. Which means traffic truly does move at triple digit speeds often. My Gen-2 travels on a part of the interstate system often where I am cruising in the right lane at 90mph and being passed continuously. When I want to drive in the passing lane, I am usually going 100mph+. Normal flow of traffic. We have constructions zones that are lowered to 75mph... Temporary concrete barriers a few inches from the end of the lane, poor road markings, bumps, etc.

Driving fast is definitely a teen thing, but it's not necessarily bad. If you want a more creative solution, try for track days. Sometimes you just have some energy you want to get out and it comes out on the commute to school and back. But if you can wait for the weekend where your cool dad takes you to a race track and really lets you rip the tires to pieces, you can expel the energy in a constructive way.

Learning to drive professionally is also key. High speed driving is not necessarily bad. But being so easily able to do it with no training, can be very bad. If he has the need for speed and nothing will help, the best thing is to teach him how to drive properly while driving fast. Race track driving with professional instruction is key. Go to an obstacle course and slip-skid-pad for training too. High speed maneuvering is not like low speed driving.

marvingloria2011 likes this.
  16. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Just because everybody else is going triple digits doesn’t mean you have to. I’ve driven those states frequently and have never needed to exceed 80 mph, and usually cruise at 75 mph in the right lane, even with an 80 or 85 mph speed limit. No impeding traffic flow, no drama, no problems.

Ed Beaty, ASRDogman, mikey_t and 2 others like this.
  17. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The problem is, he lacks self discipline. Which is the parents responsability to teach him.
    Personally, I would not let him drive. He won't hurt himself, they rarely do, they hurt innocent people.
    His mommy should drive him where he needs to go. So his friend can see him, and make fun of him.
    That will teach him. :)
    Or he can walk or ride a bicycle.

#17 ASRDogman, Aug 23, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    kc5dlo, Ed Beaty and Grit like this.
  18. 04priusnow

04priusnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Time to buy him his own 2020 Corvette. He will be the coolest kid in school with babes all over him. Plus its built for speed and if you go with the ZR1 package 200mph is doable. Tickets wont stick to that ride.

Pixel 3a XL ?

jb in NE likes this.
  19. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three

Does what you want for some cars, sadly not a Prius.

i pulled out to pass a Combine doing about 45 MPH , and discovered it was 5 of them in convoy. I was doing 95 MPH by the time I got back in my lane.

[​IMG]
    If you are thinking "Why would that be so slow?" notice that it steers with the rear wheels.
    [​IMG]

I also vote for a OBDII logger, I will be interesting to hear his excuses.

20. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    He's well past that point. Regardless of any excuses, he should be hoofing it. Abuse the driving privilege, lose the privilege.

#20 jb in NE, Aug 25, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    ASRDogman and Ed Beaty like this.