1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can you play A2DP and charge an iPod Touch via USB at the same time??

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by web1b, Aug 2, 2010.

1. web1b

web1b Active Member

If you charge your iPod Touch using the USB port can you stream online music or other audio apps (Pandora/Stitcher etc.) via stereo bluetooth or does using USB lock you into only playing music via the iPod interface?
    I'm wondering if I would have to bypass the USB port and buy a cigarette lighter charger or can I just use the Apple USB cable at all times.

2. lonewolf69

lonewolf69 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was just playing with this for the last two days with my iphone 3G. BT and USB I can switch back and forth between the two and IMHO the USB sounds better...

I had my friend sit in the car with me during lunch time and she switch the audio back and forth between USB and BT all the while, the iphone was being charged, and to me, the USB had more dynamic range deeper bass and crystal clear high end while the BT sounded a bit "THIN" compressed...

Prius 2010 IV solar/nav using iphone 3G YMMV so take my experience with a grain of salt... Not sure if how this will work with II or III without NAV and only USB connection kit though...

Good Luck!

3. web1b

web1b Active Member

I'm sure USB sounds better, but you can't play streaming internet radio through USB.

4. lonewolf69

lonewolf69 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Correct, I've only been able to play my MP3 that I've stored on my iphone so far. Both BT and USB are playing MP3, are you stating that you can listen to internet radio streaming via BT (Pandora??!?) I'm going to try that right now... Thanks for the tip...

5. lonewolf69

lonewolf69 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Update: streaming works on both BT & USB and continues to charge the iphone 3G! I was about to play a few games of Field Runners, Ice Hockey, and Sentinel... Pandora, AOL Radio and You Tube (Audio) played nicely over BT & USB video of course will on the iphone but the sound through the JBL 8 speakers were fantastic!!!

Again, FACTORY installed NAV with Prius IV 2010 and iphone 3G. Not sure how other iphones will compare but I don't think this would be an issue...

Additional notes:
    iphone disclaimer is intermittently displayed when initially connected to the USB dock. States this is NOT a compatible DOCK and you may run into issues. This is the same message that appears when I DOCK my iphone at the APPLE store with some of the clock/docking stations/ istations and my SONY dock to home stereo. Full controls work Play Pause, skip forward skip backward via BT or USB

S L O W - With USB streaming enabled the 3G's tiny processor and OS4.01 can't seem to keep up and it is S L O W... Those of us who have switched and upgraded 3G or 3GS over to OS 4.01 will understand and appreciate (NOT!!!) how much slower the unit will get with the streaming enabled. Was it unusable? No, BUT it was unbearably slower than without the streaming...

On a final note about the charging: 30% of playing around with the unit docked in the Prius, my iphone's charge jumped from 20% (Red low power warning) up to about 40%...

Hope this helps, please let me know if you have any additional questions?

6. web1b

web1b Active Member

I just got my new 8gb iPod Touch. Bluetooth streaming is not reliable. Whenever I connect via Bluetooth, locally stored music starts playing automatically and conflicts with the podcatcher audio app (rssplayer) I want to use.

Often Bluetooth audio starts playing at about one quarter speed and is useless. Switching off Bluetooth streaming restores normal playback.
    Very annoying.

I think I'll get an aux cable and stop trying to make a2dp work since I need to plug in to keep the battery charged anyway and the iPod doesn't support controlling tracks over Bluetooth.

I haven't upgraded to ios4 since that causes more problems for 8gb iPod Touch players. I'll wait for 4.1 or 4.2 to see if bugs are fixed.