1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can You Position (Tilt, Telescope) Your Steering Wheel Where You Want It?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by cycledrum, Mar 30, 2014.

?
  1. Yes, I can tilt and telescope the wheel where I want it w/o compromising seat position

35 vote(s)
    60.3%
  2. No, I cannot telescope the wheel close enough to me. I reach far or scoot closer than I would like.

16 vote(s)
    27.6%
  3. No, I cannot telescope the wheel far enough from me. I scoot farther back or deal with close reach

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, I cannot tilt the steering wheel down far enough

4 vote(s)
    6.9%
  5. No, I cannot tilt the steering wheel up high enough

3 vote(s)
    5.2%
  1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This poll is for Prius liftback / PiP only, not Prius v and c which are totally different interiors.

Without moving your driver's seat from where you want it, can you position your steering wheel where you want it to be?

Do you see any problem with the steering wheel adjustability? I especially want to hear from the over or well over 6 foot tall crowd.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    before i read your last sentence, i was already thinking, it would be interesting to know the height of each voter. i'm 5'-7" and voted yes.

3. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    6'-2" & I voted number two.

4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Ok, thanks. That would be good to know also.

I'm 6'2" tall and voted no, cannot telescope close enough to me.

Still my same conclusion since May of 2009, the release of the 3rd Gen 2010 Prius.

5. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    5'9" and I voted yes.

6. PriusNP

PriusNP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm 5'6. And yes it works

7. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm six foot even, normally proportioned legs & torso. I voted YES (1st position).

8. hybridbear

hybridbear Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I'm 6' 3" and I said no, the steering wheel is too low even in the highest position so I hit my legs on it getting in and out.

9. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    6'0" = Answer #2

There are not many TALL people in Japan, where these cars were designed (wink,wink)!

...but, fits my 5'4" wife perfectly (so she tells me).

10. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm not qualified to vote since I modified my tilt to be lower. I've had another member ask how to do this and I had to put a disclaimer on the notes. Toyota would NOT approve of what I did, but it is so much more comfortable to have the steering wheel tilted lower.
    The downside is a possible safety issue with the extended yoke bracket not being as sturdy on a frontal crash. Also, once lowered, the higher adjustment is gone so once it's low, that's pretty much where it stays.
    011 Finished foam side view.JPG

11. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

But, since Toyota takes liberty to ship and sell Prius' all over the world, could they not bring in some tall individuals to check the fit in the driver's seat? I've looked and estimate it would take a few ounces of metal to have a steering column that scopes an extra inch and from what I've seen, the room was / is available. It's only a slotted mechanism, very simple.

12. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)I'm 5'-8". I have the PIP advance with the electric seats. They're easily adjustable for a very comfortable position. At 5'-8", I drive with the seat further back than most my height. I drive with my arms almost fully extended to the steering wheel. That's Formula 1, not the cramped NASCAR style. My steering wheel is adjusted rearward several inches and all the way down. No complaints regarding the seat or steering wheel adjustments.

13. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I've heard that IF you have a forward collision while steering with locked elbows (arms fully extended as you are saying), you are likely to have much more injury as your locked arms are shoved straight up into your shoulders instead of bent arms and muscles absorbing the impact.

But, you are free to drive however you want.

Adjust the steering distance. Where adjustable, this should be adjusted with the steering wheel height, to as parallel to the back as possible. While gripping the wheel properly, our elbows should be bent at about 120 degrees. There should be a minimal clearance of 10" (and preferably 30cm) between the center of the steering hub and the base of the breastbone (sternum). It should also not be further away that 45cm.
    How to Adjust Seating to the Proper Position While Driving

--------------------------------
    "In driving a street car on a road course, whether the car is stock or fully race-prepared, neither of the above described seating positions is correct. The seat should not be "layed down" to make you look like a formula driver, and neither should sit as close as the NASCAR driver." ...

"the arms when fully extended should allow the wrists to rest at the top of the steering wheel. This allows the arms to be slightly bent at the elbow when fully extended for a turn. The purpose of this position is to prevent the arms from being overextended during turns (the shoulders should not need to lift from the seat back even to do a full arm crossover). Overextending the arms will cause them to tire quickly, and will cause the driver to lose sensitivity to the vibrations in the steering wheel."
    TurnFast! Race Driving Techniques for Heel Toe Downshift, Driving Line, Cornering, Braking, and More • Seating Position

-1- likes this.
  14. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    A saving of $1 on each of 1M cars is $1,000,000 of free PROFIT accumulated before a single car is sold.

FWIW, the same (or basically similar) tilt/telescoping mechanism is in our 2004 & 2009 Vibes, so we were "indoctrinated" to what the new Prius has.

15. BluetoothEdsel

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    5'6" but it just about telescopes enough. I did find that odd, since most cars' wheels can telescope much more than I need.

cycledrum likes this.
  16. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :) Thanks for the tips. Too old to change my driving and sitting style now.

cycledrum likes this.
  17. A617

A617 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    6'0" # 4, I always like my steering very low and the Prius just dosen't seem to be low enough for me

18. WolfpackBill

WolfpackBill Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm 5'8" and it took me a while to get comfortable. However, once I got everything adjusted, it was fine.

19. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm 5'10" and it took me three tries but finally got it where I like it. I also fiddled with the height of the seat adjustment. I raised it about three pumps from where it was. Now my hands are comfortable even when turning the wheel completely with both hands in the 10/2 positions. So far I haven't bumped it getting in and out of the Prius.
    Ron (dorunron)

20. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Can I get more votes in the poll, please.

Thanks.