1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can you recommend a dealer with good inventory or custom orders in the Long Island area?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by priusmouse, Sep 14, 2022.

1. priusmouse

priusmouse Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I’m looking to buy a Prius new but so far the dealers I called near me on Long Island said they had NO inventory or very limited selection with long long waits.

But there are lots of dealers on Long Island and the broader NY area.

Can anyone recommend a good dealer in the area with either good inventory or custom orders in the NY area?

I’d like to get this new prius asap!

2. HopefulGasSipper

HopefulGasSipper Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Try expanding your range. Depending on your time and patience level you can expand that quite far...

There's a dealer in the Midwest that you could order from, take a one-way flight out there for $200 and drive home with the car of your choice...

Dealerships who move more units improve their ordering priority, dealerships on expensive land want to hit a grand slam every at bat.

Jerry Johnson at Midwest Toyota in Hutchinson Kansas is one such guy who'll accommodate out of state sales smoothly.

Me. I never buy in my home county because there's two bigger, richer counties north of me. More inventory, more competition, better prices along with selection.

#2 HopefulGasSipper, Sep 15, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2022
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there's no such thing as inventory these days. all you can do is keep calling and asking. some might take orders, but you won't get one asap unfortunately. times we live in

4. HopefulGasSipper

HopefulGasSipper Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Locally, San Diego County, they have no inventory. I know of three dealerships with maybe six, seven cars parked on the lot, all sold waiting for pickup.

Toyota of Orange, over 200 new vehicles at the time of my post. Big dealership, richer neighborhood, part of a 3-state family of Toyota dealerships.

Dealerships that move a lot of units get a lot of units. It's Darwinism in the automotive world, the big dealerships get priority on everything. It incentivizes dealerships to make more deals, aggressively advertise and take care of their customers after the sale. Dealerships that are adding 5% surcharges on the stickers because they wanted to maintain their income typically lose sales, therefore they lose inventory.