1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can you recommend a great vacation spot?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by JMD, Feb 5, 2013.

1. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Looking for a suggestion for a minimum 5 + day vacation for 2. Air, hotel and taxes under $2,500 US. This will be a summer departure anytime from July to September. Themes enjoy resorts near beaches. Great places to eat. Willing to take a few day trips. Open to travel outside of The USA. Must be safe, clean, new, tropical, and fun.

Please make a Recommendation and if you can provide the name of the resort.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    do you golf? we had a great time at pebble beach.

JMD likes this.
  3. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks, I go to the Bay Area Central Coast a lot. I would go but the wifey wants something far away. Don't golf much. Was never that good at it. Definitely some wealth in Carmel and Pebble Beach though.

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can hook up with Marriott or Hilton for one of their deals if you have some points...also we have done the sales job where you have to attend a sales session, but you get some free days. We did Aruba and Hilton Head that way and we liked both places. But you are in CA so I don't know if you want to go East.

JMD likes this.
  5. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Funny just said I never been to Hilton Head.

6. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Can't speak for the airfare today but one unknown overseas spot that completely blew me away was Muscat, Oman. Very cosmopolitan in a good way, a center of Arabian, Persian, African East Coast and Indian trade routes for centuries, cool people, a decent government that works (hence we never hear of it in the news), actual forests and rivers in the interior, a souk and an outdoor fish market to die for, amazing handicrafts all over the place, the true "Heart of Araby". Would go back there today in a heartbeat for an exotic honeymoon etc. I was there on business that one time.

Another hidden pearl is Malta, a former British/Italian/French/Spanish/Crusader/Roman/Carthaginian colony, although it can be full of Europeans seeking sun & fun. The only nation with a base Arabic language that is written in Latin - hence the incomprehensible-sounding village names written in Latin alphabet on its map. It's culturally as rich & varied as a Brooklyn that is overlaid with a Smithsonian Museum's worth of historical bric-a-brac at every single corner. A foodie's paradise. Might be hard to get to without a lot of air travel segments.

xs650 and JMD like this.
  7. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Just returned from Hilton Head, so another vote for it. While golf is king there on the island, the resorts are deluxe (eight Marriotts alone) and the beaches are great. There's plenty to see in the area too. Several National Wildlife Refuges dot the landscape along the coast. If you like to tour old cities, historic Charleston or Savannah are very scenic, within 50 to 100 miles away and excellent restaurants are abundant. Temps can get steamy in the summer, though. In the middle of January, it was dead slow, tourist wise, which is how we like it.

JMD likes this.
  8. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for your post, I have been to 47 countries but never considered either on of those. You got my attention.

9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you go to Hilton Head, I think you want to be in or near Sea Pines area, they have bike paths and its great. The Marriott Ocean Club is close to Sea Pines and other hotels too. If you can so Sept the price is right and its warm.
    Invariably tho a Hurriance breaks out when I go on a shore vacation.

JMD likes this.
  10. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Med cruise but may be hard to find on your budget. Sights, history, shopping, eats it has it all and you only have to unpack/pack once while visiting multiple locations! Have fun!

JMD likes this.
  11. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank You, I will be on my pick list for sure. Back in 2009 spent a week in Florida Key West and Miami Beach and had a great time. Never been to Hilton Head but coming from the West Coast it will be different.

12. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I did a 10 day round trip Cruise to Hawaii from Los Angeles years ago. I had a good time but would not do that long again. A co-worked did a European one and said it was great.

13. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions.

14. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  15. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    St Johns. Rent a villa and it is great. You must fly to St. Thomas, then take a ferry over to St. Johns, there is no direct way of getting there. This makes it very touristy and quiet. It is also very very small, so it is quiet and the beaches are nice. You can take boat tours to lots of islands or just sit on the beach. Snorkelling is great.

[​IMG]

If you want something more "resorty", Azul Beach in Cancun, Mexico is very good. All inclusive 5-star resort.

JMD likes this.