1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can you recommend me a good bike rack?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by busyrosy, Jul 2, 2007.

1. busyrosy

busyrosy New Member

Recently, my fiance and I got bikes. We've been riding it a few times, especially when we go to places like Monterey for our short-ish day trips. So far, we've been "OKAY" with loading the bikes in the car - I just fold the back seat, and then stack two bikes with a cargo mat in between. On our last trip though, the I didn't place the cargo mat properly, and my bike rubbed against his bike's gears, and got scratched :(

Can you recommend a good bike rack? I'm not comfortable with the types that go up on the car roof - I'm not strong enough to lift a bike that high, and the fiance is clumsy (he'll probably drop it and scratch the car).

2. iDonna

iDonna Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(busyrosy @ Jul 2 2007, 12:34 PM) [snapback]471549[/snapback]</div>

If you want to take the hitch route... I bought a 2" hitch from Coastal. You may want to search the forum for info/experiences on hitches. So far, I'm happy with mine.

I then purchased a Thule 2 bike rack -- the Roadway model -- SRP was $195. I liked the Roadway model over the Parkway model because the RW had a lever that allowed me to lower the bike rack really easy so I could shove (let's say) two 6' bookcases from Pier One into the hatch without a hassle. :)

I'm really happy with both items.

I don't like the bike racks that you have to strap onto the trunk. They just don't make me feel like my bike investment is safe. Besides, if I had to futz with one of those every time I wanted to toss my bike on the car, I most likely wouldn't use my bike as often as I do now.

hope this helps.

-Donna

PS: The NJ PriusChat group is helping to fight MS in the September MS Bike Tour. Create your own team, join ours, support us, whatever floats your boat. :D

3. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yakima, roof mount. Available from Recreational Equipment, Inc. www.rei.com. Easy to put on and take off. Round Yakima bars make for more secure adjustments (compared to square bar types). Rack can be used for different types of mounts: road, mountain or tandem bicycles; as well as skis, kayks, canoes and luggage.