1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can you set the map to point of view orientation?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by scm2000, Aug 19, 2017.

1. scm2000

scm2000 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    im finding it useless to look at a north up map display.
    once on route it doesnt matter because you have the voice prompt.

but when you have to navigate on your own to the route start, even if you get there you dont easilly know which way to turn to get on the route unless you already know how to get to your destination

real car navigators have a point of view orientation to the map. you only need to roll forward a bit and the map orients. then navigation left and right are on your left and right.

ive been through all the menus cant find a setting for map orientation

Mark57 likes this.
  2. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It's on the map itself, top left corner. The icon pressed once will change to "other" view. I do the same thing, but since I never use factory installed GPS devices, I don't recall the exact appearance of the icon.

Mark57 and scm2000 like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i come from the map era. north was always up, no matter which direction you were traveling. so i'm used to it.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  4. Captmiddy

Captmiddy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I tend to change my mind on a regular basis which way I want my maps to work. Some days it is North is Up some days it is Up is direction of travel. I think it comes down to wanting to know which way North is at times. So when I was in my Camry, we had a compass on the rearview mirror so up on the map was often set to direction of travel. In the Prius to get the compass requires changing the multi-display to compass mode, so I use the direction I am travelling on the map to tell me which way North is from the direction I am moving across the map. I know that I could stare at the map long enough to figure out where the mini-compass is on the display and see which direction I am traveling but that requires my eyes of the road a little longer.

Probably just a weird thing. At any rate, you can change to direction of travel as mentioned by pressing the orientation icon on the display.

KrPtNk likes this.
  5. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It kind of does matter......sometimes.
    With all of my other GPS units, particularly the one in my Fusion, the voice instructions sometimes are totally WRONG but the route shown on the map is always right.
    I haven't use the one in the new C enough to know if it does that or not but strongly suspect that it will sometimes.

6. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I forgot about the compass view. Is that available on the main display with Entune nav?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.