1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

can you turn heat/ac off

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by nancytheprius, Nov 4, 2021.

1. nancytheprius

nancytheprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    IMG_3063.jpg

this is dumb but is it possible for the off button to stay highlighted? mine never has and air will constantly come out. seems like the off button just keeps whatever setting i had and puts it on low. not sure if that’s normal or not

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    In this picture You are off the only air that's coming through your vents is because you're in the fresh air mode and whatever temperature not including the air conditioner that you were set on when you shut the air off is blowing out the vents This pertains to heat so in other words if you shut the system off at 75°, and leave it in the fresh air mode heat will be slowly coming out the vents while you're going forward if you put it in the recirc mode very little heat will come out because outside fresh air is not being forced through the vents and the fan is off The air conditioner has nothing to do with this picture what you are experienced is Toyota flow through ventilation system which has nothing to do with the fan it is just naturally occurring as the car moves forward notice when you're stopped no air is coming through the vents with the HVAC system settings staying the same as this picture

SM-A715F ?

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You could also stop it and put it at the feet position third button over I guess and you won't feel that flow through air coming towards your face or out the forward facing vents it will be directed down at your feet that might help you if you're getting too hot or you don't like the air

SM-A715F ?

4. nancytheprius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    IMG_3064.jpg
    so i have to press this to not feel any air? i just don’t like the light that pops up on the dash which might be dumb of me haha

5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Absolutely correct. :)

6. nancytheprius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    maybe that’ll help with the dust too then. thanks!

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The off button should stay illuminated as long as you do not press any other control buttons.

What happens if you press the A/C on/off control on the steering wheel?

Steering Wheeel Controls.png

8. nancytheprius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    just tried and it switches between the recirculate and AC auto. no matter what my off button wont stay illuminated. can i see a picture of yours staying off?

9. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Well then maybe mine's not working right when mine you turn the air system off let's say it said it's 75 just for the heck of it I hit the off button it shows the last position of the vents that I was on the fan stops it's in fresh air mode air keeps coming does it in my Corollas if I take it and put it in recirc mode not nearly the amount of air is coming out the vents when the car is moving forward in the fans off and the buttons off I don't think in either of my cars the '04 or the '09 the off button illuminates and turns off the foot or the defrost vents and all of that And if it's not then my car's been broken since I've got it but the heat the air and the auto air work wonderfully and it'll freeze you out the car and heat you the same way so maybe my hybrid battery is causing all of these goofy things that are going on in the car so by what people are saying when I put this hybrid battery in my car should be restored to like new condition and automatically I think not

SM-A715F ?

nancytheprius likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there is always some fresh air coming in, as required by law

11. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Look in your owner's manual it'll talk about the Toyota flow through ventilation system it's built into every Toyota since 1973 it naturally occurs there's events in the back of the car there's vents in the front of the car as the car moves forward air is made to slowly come through the vents whether they're aimed at the feet or up at the defrost or at your face air flows through light a cigarette or a piece of incense and hold it up as you drive forward watch the smoke go back to the rear quarters these events in the rear quarter behind the trim that you look at have rubber flaps on them that open up automatically is the cars moving forward and air is moving you'll see your cigarette smoke or your incense smoke go to the back of the car and go out these vents naturally I'm telling you that's what it's really called

SM-A715F ?

12. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I stand corrected, and I'm glad you pressed me for a photo because I see that the OFF button only illuminates while it is pressed. You can be assured the climate control is off, though, by noting that the A/C button is greyed out and the temperature disappears when the system is off. In addition, if you use AUTO, the bar at the top of the button greys out. See the images below:

On: Prius MDF Type B A:C On.JPG

Off:
    Prius MDF Type B A:C Off.JPG

If your issue is you feel air blowing at you, you need to adjust the center and side vents so they aim straight back past your shoulders. When using climate control the aim is to cool/heat the cabin, not the occupants directly so vents should never normally be directed directly at the occupant(s).

If you do not wish to see the recirc light on the dash turn it off with the steering wheel control or the screen while the climate control is on, then turn the climate off.

#12 dolj, Nov 5, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2021