1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can you use an older Prius Plug In charger with the new Prius Prime?

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by FN 2187, Apr 19, 2017.

1. FN 2187

FN 2187 New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I have a new Prius Prime and wanted to get another charger (one being sold on Craigslist for $125.00)to keep with the car in addition to the one I have at home in my garage. Do the older "Plug In" chargers work with the new "Primes"? The part numbers are different and the new part number (G9060-471930) indicate that they replace the old part number (G9060-47190). The voltage is the same and the amperage output is the same on both chargers. A little help would be appreciated as well as knowledgeable responses (please no guessing). I just joined Prius Chat so this is my first experience so please be kind.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I think there are new safety features (overheat protections?) in the new cables but no functional differences. Go for it.

3. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    As far as the charger in the car is concerned, any J1772 EVSE should work. Lots of people use Nissan Leaf EVSEs with Prius plug-ins (both generations). Just like you can use any public charging station that provides a J1772 plug, regardless of network (ChargePoint, Blink, whatever). Nice thing about public standards. Tesla is the only model that uses a different standard, and they provide a J1772 adapter.

4. jburke313

jburke313 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I bought a used factory cord from a 2014 PiP, on Craigslist, for exactly the scenario you are describing ($150.00). Same part number as you listed above. The first time I plugged it in it did not work. I noticed an orange gasket in the used one that was not in the new one that came with my new Prime, so I removed it and voila - it works fine. I use the old PiP every day at home, and keep the new one in my car for plugging in at work, etc. Go for it!

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  6. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    If you go-for-it, my suggestion is to use the 'PiP' one at home and the 'Prime' one on the road. As Jimbo noted, there is an extra safety feature in the new one that can detect abnormal temp. rise in the wall outlet/plug pair and react to it, good measure when connecting to an unknown outlet.

7. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What is the Length of the Prime Charger Cord?
    I'm thinking of buying a Prime this weekend and forgot to check the length of the cord at the dealer.
    Have to see how far it would be from a plug. Can someone just point me to how long (inches or feet) the cord is?
    Thanks!

8. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have been regularly using a very heavy duty 25 foot extension cord with my 2012 Prius plug in and now my Prime plugin. Ambient temperatures as high as 90 degrees. I've had no problem with this setup as long as I plug directly into a wall outlet. My usual setup is plugging into a family member, or client's garage.
    At my home, I use an L2 charger which fully charges my Prime in under 2 hours.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Arctic_White likes this.
  9. Captmiddy

Captmiddy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If using an extension cord the big recommendation is to ensure it is rated for the proper amperage. I think it was 8gauge that is where the proper amperage starts to be supported. Typical is 12 I think. Lower gauge is better.

The Prime cord itself is about 20 feet, but the big block and such make it feel shorter from my experience. I also have mine hooked up to a high end extension cord at the moment. I will be disconnecting it and putting in my ChargePoint 240V charger soon I hope. Then I will just keep the Toyota cable with the extension cord in my car for times when I am travelling and can find an outlet to use. Not sure many hotels are fans of people plugging their cars in.

10. avongil

avongil Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    on the 2019 we just got it is the same length as the old style 12 amp charger that came in the Plug in Prius. About 22 feet plus the length of the charger and pig tail.

I took the old and the new ones apart today to see which one was easier to mount in an enclosure without cutting up. You could lengthen the cord but it wont be a quick job check out the pictures.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/y1HYB4EReQUejrx67