1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Canada 2012 PHV Pre-Order Details

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by 13Plug, Jul 26, 2012.

1. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well I put down my deposit today to preorder a 2012 PHV Prius here in Canada. There are no rebates in my province, so I went for the base model. $35,700 + $1,595 Freight/PDI. I opted for Sea Glass Pearl to replace my 08 Barcelona Red Prius.

As for the order process, there are very limited cars being made available in Canada in 2012. The pre-order deadline is tomorrow, July 27. Dealers can't order any cars unless they're sold (& have a deposit). If you order after that date, you go into the order demand list for a 2013 model for delivery in Q1 2013. The pre-orders will "approved" by mid-August, at which time us Canadians will find out if we'll get delivery in Q4 2012. As part of the preorder process, the dealer needs to submit information on the model desired, and there is a spot for whether the person ordering is a current Prius owner. I think it's safe to assume that if you're a Prius owner you have a better chance of getting approved for a preorder car.

The only differences I've noticed so far between the US & Canadian 2012 PHV:
    - No mention of HomeLink in the Canada guide (although Electrochromic Rear View mirror is standard on all models)
    - No Entune in Canada
    - Two trim levels in Canada, Base & Technology Package
    - Canada has option of Alpine White as a colour choice, other 5 US colours also available. This leads me to think that Alpine White must be a popular Prius colour in Canada.
    - HUD heads-up display not available in Canada

Techonology package option ($5,235) includes:
    - JBL audio
    - 8 speakers
    - AVN premium navigation
    - Precollision system
    - 8-way power adjustable drivers seat
    - Softex leather seating surfaces
    - Dynamic radar cruise control
    - LED headlamps
    - Auto leveling headlamp system
    - Headlamp washers
    - Fog lamps

If you have any questions just ask, as I have the order guide here...

2. TdotBlizzard

TdotBlizzard New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My dealer only got the info this week (I've been asking regularly), so I think the order deadline is a little later that July 27th - at least I hope so!

Really thinking hard about this one... seems a little early to trade in my 2010 (got it mid 09) but it might take a while to get here too. I did just check for pics on Sea Glass Pearl - looks really nice!

3. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well my dealer received that info on Monday/Tuesday last week and the initial preorder "deadline" was July 27. Pre-orders are still accepted after that date but won't be part of the initial allocation. Who did you talk to at the dealership? I phoned and asked for the new car sales manager who had the info, the salesman didn't have the info yet as far as I could tell.

4. TdotBlizzard

TdotBlizzard New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I concede that you are likely right and my sales guy just wasn't in the loop despite my repeated requests. The spec sheet does say July 17th.

Tricky situation then with what to do with your more detailed info... I don't really want to pre-order now if it won't be here until next year but of course my dealer will only say "get your order in" without any discussion of the chance of seeing it in 2012.

Crappy, it's a little extra fun to be in the initial lot like I was for the Gen3. Although it seems over the top to do it for every car.

5. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I hear ya. I put down $1,000 and there's no guarantee I'll get a PHV. At least the work sheet I signed said that if I don't get in during the initial allocation, they will refund my deposit on August 30. It was unclear whether my order would stay in the system though, it sounded like if I don't get an initial car, my order would go in for a 2013 model year instead, for delivery in Q1 2013.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info Swanny!

The other thing is that we don't get LED DRLs for the regular 2012 models. I don't know if they made it over to the PHV or whether they were left out as well (again, makes no sense since DRLs are required here, so why not take advantage of the LED version offered by Toyota?).

We never had Alpine White offered for the Gen 3 but I have a hunch as to why it was offered.

7. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Did you have some influence? The difference in certain things between the US and Canadian versions are mind boggling.

8. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hmmm.... just noticed that the 2012 PHV Canada order guide states "Colour-Keyed Door Handles" as standard equipment. I'm still wondering if the PHV comes with HomeLink or not (no mention of it in the order guide).

OK, Toyota hurry up and ship out some Canadian versions so we can get the facts straight! ;)

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No I did not. What I was hinting at is the Asian population. Considering that our Prius c orange colour was renamed from "Habanero" in the US to "Mandarin Orange" and that flat white was offered (certain Asian cultures love white), that's what I think they were planning when they offered Alpine White.

Oh and Homelink will be included. The auto-dimming mirror should have it (no reason to order a separate non-Homelink unit).

10. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Oh you must be in BC based on your comments LOL. I'd like to see a Mandarin Orange PHV, I like orange :)

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL. You just insulted the entire GTA region ;)

12. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Toyota.ca has all the PHV details and specs posted now.

I just realized that Canadian "plugin" Prius comes with body coloured door handles. That seems odd since other countries all seem to come with the fake aluminum look. I want US-style handles, boo.

No HUD, no HomeLink, higher base price, body colour door handles, no provincial rebate, unknown wait period..... Maybe I should go buy one from the US and drive it back.... Or buy a CMax plugin instead.... :(

13. timriley

timriley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I put my preorder in today too. Ugh, I really hope the lack of HUD is a mistake and that the final shipped product will have it. I've test driven the plugin in the US and the HUD is a really nice feature to have.

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought the pics shown had silver door handles?

15. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How much you wanna bet it was because they copied it from the standard Prius page and forgot to change it?

I don't know who they hire but I've caught many mistakes on there (like missing items in the Packages page or non-existent feature that the car doesn't have).

Sometimes, there's redundant information.

17. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I hope so.

18. freedom45

freedom45 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I was reading recently that the reason we Canadians pay the same Prius PiP at 35,700$/CDN that is sold in the USA for 32,000$ is because among other fees, import duty of 6.1% on cars made outside of Canada, plus addtional transportation fees of 2.5%...... That is a difference of 3,700$ (+12.1% more than the US equivalent) :(

If I am not mistaken, the Canadian dollar is trading higher now than the US dollar !!

If this is the case... So much for FREE TRADE agreement with the US.... :mad:

Can anyone confirm this information ? and why we Canadians are paying so much more for the same car...

Thanks,
    Dan

19. timriley

timriley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    In case this is useful for anyone else, I recently did a price analysis on what it would cost to bring up a Prius PHEV (with Tech package) from California vs. buying in Alberta (I have a home in San Diego and Calgary, so the option is there):

Purchasing from Calgary (no PST/HST offsets the lack of provincial plug-in rebate I guess):

$40,935 + $1565freight/del + $100excise/ac +$20tirelevy + $2131GST = $44,751.00

Purchasing from San Diego (keeping just long enough to collect federal and state rebates, based on an out-the-door cash quote I got from a dealer last month) and then driving it to Calgary:

$44,058.54 out-the-door cash price quote ($40,510 + $3139.53statesalestax + $341California license/registration etc) + 6.1%importduty (non-NA made) + 5% GST + $100excise/ac + $205RIV fee = $49,595
    - California plugin rebate of $1500, - USfed rebate of $2500 = $45,254

So it would cost about $503 more to buy from California and import into Canada, assuming $CDN=$USD and that RIV won't require any costly modifications of the car. Trying to weight the extra cost vs benefit of getting HUD (the lack of which is a big downer for me), vs having to put up with stupid Fahrenheit all the time (on our Gen2 Prius it is impossible to change the F to C - do not know if that has changed yet but it's annoying) vs getting the car now in California vs waiting the estimated 90-120 days I was given by the local Calgary dealer. I ended up preordering from Calgary...

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota Canada can't assume that the dollar will always be above the USD. It has to use a baseline average, not an extreme and probably would err on the side of caution so that TMC makes some money too (unless all profits go to TCI? I don't know the specifics of their internal affairs).

NAFTA means free trade among north america countries (i.e. Canada and the US) but it also includes Mexico. The Prius is built in Japan and that's why there's a the 6.1% import tax. If it was built in the US, then there wouldn't be the tax.

That was something of consideration that people importing Camry Hybrids back in 2007 and 2008 before TCI adjusted the prices was that if they got a JDM built TCH, they got taxed 6.1% and if they got a USDM built TCH, you didn't get taxed.