1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Canada Prius Prime trim level details

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by beamsley, Jan 6, 2023.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It was mentioned somewhere, plus the pack in cutaway photos seems too small to have air cooling.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i can't wait to see the details on that, a major change for toyota!

3. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    o_O The Rav4 Prime has liquid cooling.

But I wasn't being a completely clear before. I used liquid cooling to also include coolants that are liquid only part of the time; refrigerants.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A first in plug-in Prius.
    Still not clear , can you describe the coolant system details a little more?

5. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Haven't come across an indepth description, but sounds like cooling is accomplished by A/C cooling lines through the pack. The old Escape hybrids did this for their packs.

6. Christopher O'Brien

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Too bad the Prime's bigger battery plus its accoutrements like the cooling system mean that there isn't room for the rear AWD-e that the non-plug-in Gen 5 gets. I've asked Toyota Gazoo Racing in Germany (the folks that brought us the world champion GR010 WEC hypercar) to have a go at designing a smaller AWD-e to fit under (around?) the Prime's battery. I'm thinking that perhaps all the fancy (small, lightweight) technology put into the GR010's electric front axle could be adapted to the Prime's rear axle(s). No answer yet, but I dream. :)

7. nukem

nukem Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Does anyone have an idea when Toyota Canada will finally update their website with the new Prius info?

I know we're a sad second cousin for a lot of things but I'd expect that someone with a little bit of marketing savvy at Toyota Canada would be hyping the heck out of this. But noooo we're still showing the old Prius with not a word of something new.

Call me :(

moonmist and mountaineer like this.
  8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota Canada only updates the site when the vehicle goes on sale. It’s been their MO for decades so not expecting that to change.

9. nukem

nukem Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Spot on but sad.

Sigh, where is the Toyota much vaulted continuous improvement? Everyone in business knows that you have to market early and a lot.

All the Canadian website wants to do is send you to a dealer. Fine, but I want to research first before I get the sales pitch and told what I can't get that our cousins down south can get. :)

OK, enough bitching. I love the new design and while we argue about mpg between one model and the other, this is the first model of Prius that I would consider buying again. I really wasn't enamoured with the last generation as it looked too much like something from the transformer movies. But that's just me ...

10. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Is that why the Prime doesn't AWD, or could it be because of marketing or logistic reasons?

11. beamsley

beamsley Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium w/ Solar Cells
    From what I read somewhere, it's a packaging issue. They weren't able to fit both the Prime's battery and an electric motor in the rear. The HEV doesn't have the same space constraint since the battery isn't as large.

bisco likes this.
  12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you’re friendly with your dealer, they may let you in on the vehicle order form ahead of time. But that’s usually a month in advance at most.

13. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually it has to do with the Solar roof option. They have to fit a couple of pieces of equipment to deal with DC/DC conversion, temporary storage and its cooling system. Europe's Prius Prime (called Prius PHEV) had solar panels and needed the middle console to install a small NiMH battery for temporary storage as well as a DC/DC converter. One of the reasons the 2nd gen Prius Prime seated only 4 for the first 2 model years.

14. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Considering where the traction battery is, I'm guessing the new solar roof doesn't use an intermediate battery as a buffer.

15. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It'll have a combiner, DC/DC converter to traction battery. I'm assuming they integrated the ECU and cooling system with the DC/DC converter. Not sure about the exact packaging but don't forget they also have 120V 1500W outlet(s ?) that have to have DC/AC Inverters. They have to put them somewhere as well.

JoeBlack likes this.
  16. Christopher O'Brien

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If the absence of AWD-e on the Prime is not due solely to the bigger size of the Prime's battery but also due to a bunch of other stuff stuck under the back that drash has mentioned above, then maybe I'd be willing to do without some/all of that other stuff and whatever features they serve so I can have the AWD-e. At least Toyota should give us a choice rather than just a blanket "no". Does anyone know where to get a look at a technical analysis (or better a video) of the situation?

17. mountaineer

mountaineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    Anyone else notice how they've raised the price on the 2022 Prius Prime. When did that happen?

Earlier in 2022 wasn't the base model in the $33,000 range, the top trim around $40k. Now the base model is about $37k, and the top is $42,200. Will be interesting to see how this changes for the 2023.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nothing available yet, but in the end, whatever the reasons, we can't change toyotas mind

19. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No tech details yet. They still have a ban on 2023 Prius Prime details other than that released by Toyota. We don't know how much the Solar Roof outputs (the old one was 180 W), the exact battery cooling details, and only cursory picts of the layout. Another reason for not putting in a rear e-Axle is weight distribution. The 13.6 kWh battery is still a good chunk of weight sitting by the rear wheels. Final design details are probably still being finalized.
    005.jpeg
    Notice there are no picts of the gas tank (more added weight in the rear) or other necessary objects like the charging circuitry which we don't even know what the maximum AC charge is. Hopefully they make that 6.6 kW across all trims.

bisco likes this.
  20. Christopher O'Brien

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks, Drash. I guess we're just going to have to wait and see what turns up. Btw, where did you find that pic of the drive train?