1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Canada Prius Prime trim level details

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by beamsley, Jan 6, 2023.

1. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota Global - World Premiere of All-New Prius in Japan | Toyota | Global Newsroom | Toyota Motor Corporation Official Global Website

Toyota Europe usually has the most technical details of everything Toyota but just outside and inside shots of the Prius PHEV (in their world) so far.

2. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    • This model is equipped with two 100 VAC / 1,500 W accessory power outlets; one at the back of the center console and one in the cargo space. Users can select the BEV external power supply mode, which uses power from the battery only without having to start the engine, or the HEV external power supply mode, which recharges the battery from the engine if the remaining power is too low. It also comes with an external electric power supply attachment as standard so that external power supply is possible with the door windows closed to prevent rain and insects from getting in the car when in use.
    Thanks @drash I really like this new accessory
    2023PriusWindowaccessory.jpg
    Now I wouldn't have to wrap a 3 wire flat extension cord in duck, gorilla, duct tape and feed it under the rear door to get electric access into the car. Plus it looks like it's made to get electric out of the car now.

• The new Prius also comes with a panoramic view moonroof which can be fully opened to create a sense of freedom within the cabin. PHEV models are equipped with a second-generation solar charging system that achieves a more efficient conversion of solar energy into electricity. This generates power equivalent to driving up to 1,250 km per year*4*6. Electric power generated while parked is used to charge the drive battery, with the system not only supplying electricity for driving but for air conditioning and other functions as well. Electric power generated during driving is used to supplement the auxiliary battery system.
    *1 December 1997 to September 2022 (present).
    *2 Based on total cumulative global sales of 4.99 million Prius and Prius PHEV models as of March 2022 according to calculations by Toyota.
    *3 A service that packages automobile insurance, periodic maintenance, automobile taxes, repair expenses, registration expenses and taxes, mandatory inspection fees (in cases of the five- and seven-year plans), and other costs for a fixed monthly fee.
    *4 Development targets based on internal measurements.
    *5 Compared to the previous model Prius (1.8-liter HEV).
    *6 Drive battery charging capacity and BEV driving distance are calculated based on the Japan Photovoltaic Energy Association Labeling Guidelines (FY2016).

If we don't get the 100 volt (120 volt) accessory here, at least we should be able to get the window insert for the extension cord shipped from Japan.

#42 vvillovv, Jan 14, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
  3. Sue Case

Sue Case Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Don't want to over react but something tells me there will be "idiots" out there that might get off damaging/ cracking car glass roofs. Sun roofs are some what inconspicuous but an all glass roof really stands out. Only time will tell but I hope car insurance rates don't start to move higher due to replacement cost of all glass roofs.

4. Christopher O'Brien

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  5. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Try this one: All-new Toyota Prius Plug-in Hybrid

Lots more pictures of the outside and inside. They mention that it gets 69 km EV range and the solar roof option provides up to 8 km EV range per day. Take that with a grain of salt as these are unofficial WLTP estimates.

6. Christopher O'Brien

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks again, drash. I went to Toyota Canada's newsroom and there was a good amount of info there too, but I guess they're reluctant to overload mere customers with too much info on the ordinary website.

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Europe isn't getting the Prius without the plug. They have the Corolla sedan, hatchback, and wagon. All with hybrid option. With the added import tax, the Prius can't compete.

8. Christopher O'Brien

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Actually I couldn't find any mention of the PHEV (as they call it), but anyway, Europe will only get the PHEV, you say? Makes sense, though, given that my Toyota salesman told me that the hybrid Corolla is very like a Prius underneath the skin. Europe gets the Corolla Touring Sport (see below), a Corolla "station wagon" as we'd call it, or an "estate" or "shooting brake" as the English would call it. A nice-looking and very practical machine, particularly as a hybrid, but I don't see AWD-e as an option. Why the Touring Sport isn't available over here is a mystery, although I suppose we can blame it on the fickle, trend-fixated, SUV-mad North American car-buying public.
    Screen Shot 2023-01-15 at 7.09.35 PM.png

#48 Christopher O'Brien, Jan 15, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's a sharp looking car.

10. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Pretty sure Toyota doesn't use the E; Prius PHV.

Not just the public fixated on SUVs. A car maker isn't going to release a wagon if it meant losing SUV sales. Instead, they release another SUV.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's the North American market's allergy to anything named "station wagon".

Look at how many SUVs are marketed as "crossovers" because they can't call it station wagons and they're not as tall as SUVs. (GLA, Q3, Ioniq5, EV6, CH-R).

This is why we get the Corolla Cross rather than the Corolla Touring Sport. The Touring Sport looks much more stylish than the Corolla Cross (Which has taillights that look like it came from the late 90s/early 00s). But hey, if they can bring that over AND charge people more for the SUV look AND people are willing to pay for it, who's marketing to disagree?

12. Christopher O'Brien

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Calling it an "estate" car or better yet, a "shooting brake" e.g. the Aston Martin Vanquish Zagato Shooting Brake below, might get people thinking beyond the SUV thing.
    Screen Shot 2023-01-16 at 1.38.42 PM.png

Prashanta and Tideland Prius like this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I’d buy one in a heartbeat, but I don’t represent the typical American car buyer

Prashanta likes this.
  14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For sure. (and one reason we didn't get the XF Shooting Brake or the CLA Shooting Brake either - those two were stylish).

Well if the "crossover" term being applied to more wagon-like cars is any indication, there might be a very, very, slight softening on the SUV thing as more late millennials and early Gen Zs start getting their cars. The whole "i don't want what my parents drove" moved from minivans to SUVs and now it'll be SUVs to whatever they decide on (whether it's back to minvans or wagons or maybe just car sharing lol).

VW said they would bring the ID.7 Tourer over (Space Vizzion Concept) so we'll see if that comes to fruition. If so, that'll be the first true EV wagon.

(Honestly, I call my EV6 a sport wagon and the EPA agrees - it labels the EV6 as a compact station wagon).

15. Christopher O'Brien

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Let the compact station wagon era dawn! :)

16. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can relate, i own the previous Auris Hybrid TS, 2018, it's a very smart car, 4,6 mt long as the Prius 2023, huge 530 lt trunk, and if the Corolla TS was available in a PHEV version, i would'nt have considered the Prius 2023.
    The Corolla EU (like the old Auris) is made in UK and has never been available or announced in the e-AWD version (or PHEV).

Yes, i can confirm in EU we will only get the Prius PHEV, solar roof optional, according to Toyota Europe.
    The same enhanced powertrain with the 2.0 of the new Prius lt is already in the Corolla 2023 hybrid, prototype for the moment tested by journalists, but not yet for available for sale, it should be available soon in jan-feb. That's why we will not get the Prius HEV, i guess, too much overlap.

New Toyota Corolla prototype review | Auto Express

That's my Auris TS 2018

1673948197213.jpg

Tideland Prius and drash like this.
  17. Christopher O'Brien

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Nice looking machine. We had the non-hybrid Auris here in Canada for awhile, but it was called the Corolla iM. It's amazing how many different models there are with just a single manufacturer, and how much they change/morph/appear/disappear over time. I assume the marketing folks have a plan for it all, but sometimes one has to wonder.

Maxwell61 likes this.
  18. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Prius would be imported while all the Corollas are EU local assembled. I think the Prius sales were generally lower to start with, because of the import taxes, and there is more selection among the Corolla hybrids.
    The iM was intended for Scion. It arrived for the last year of the brand. Became the Corolla iM after. Then was replaced with the new Corolla hatchback.

Maxwell61 likes this.
  19. Christopher O'Brien

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Getting back to trim levels for Canada, one thing that bothered me about getting my 2013 Plug-in was that I had no upholstery choice other than the Softex faux leather which might be fine on the steering wheel and some other surfaces, but is bad for seating material as it doesn't breathe worth a damn, and so in the summer I get sweaty/sticky on my back and my legs stick to the seat when I wear shorts. If again I'm given no choice but Softex, is there such a thing as perforated Softex? A better solution might be if there is an option for front seats that are cooled i.e. tied into the ventilation system with air actually being blown through the seat. I remember seeing that option available in Japan for previous Gens, so maybe that will make it over here for Gen 5. What I'd really like to do is have a conversation with people at Toyota Canada about such things (choice!!) but I've found that dealing directly with anybody at TCHQ is extremely difficult.

20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've managed to at least get through to them, and get a human response, here:

[email protected]

I recently let them know I was disappointed the 2023's coming here will:

1. Not have a spare
    2. No choice, all with AWD
    3. No choice, all with 19" rims
    4. No choice, all with pleather
    5. No choice, all with sunroof

They got back to me, said my comments are "noted and passed on", and that they appreciate them, that's part of how they make decisions.

Louis19 likes this.