1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Canada Prius Prime trim level details

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by beamsley, Jan 6, 2023.

1. beamsley

beamsley Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium w/ Solar Cells
    Feels like my birthday. This is the one colour I wanted it in!!!

2. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    self: living in North Dakota
    quickly googles: "how to import a vehicle from Canada"
    ;)

Tideland Prius likes this.
  3. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I’ll be there too, already have my ticket. :) It’s Feb 17-26, I am sure they will have both the HEV and Prime models, and I am hoping they will offer test drives like they have done in the past, but not optimistic this time around… :unsure:

I will be specifically checking out the backseat headroom (with one teenage son, and another almost a teenager… and I am 6’2”…), but can take any other measurements needed if still unanswered at that time. :)

4. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did I mention you guys suck! WTH, Europe and Canada gets Yellow, but not the US?

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It's appeasement for not getting the Prius LE.

I understand some differences between Canada and US offerings. Got different regulations like daylight running lights, and different climate, but why paint choices? Keeping yellow touch up paint in Canada essentially means its available to America. Did someone have one too many nips of the sake, and spill the supply for the US?

drash and Tideland Prius like this.
  6. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Ooohhh… I may have another colour choice at the top of my list then! ;)

I don’t have a “trophy wife” either (she would be highly offended at that description :ROFLMAO:), but I don’t see why that should get in the way of getting a new Prius, a ‘sensible’ car, after all. :cool:

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Possibly difference in dealer ordering system?

or maybe to make it cheaper for cab companies to order it if it already is yellow lol

drash and Sarge like this.
  8. beamsley

beamsley Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium w/ Solar Cells
    I'm guessing they aren't expecting to sell a lot of yellow ones, the colour was probably made to appeal in certain markets. Canada is a much much smaller market than the US, so maybe we fit the bill. It isn't the first time I've seen a manufacturer offer certain colours to Canada and not the US (coindicentally also yellow).

Canadian dealers also can make custom factory orders, I know a few people who have done this and will be doing the same myself.

Edit - I just confirmed with my dealer this afternoon that yellow is in fact an option on XSE Premium and updated my order for it.

#108 beamsley, Jan 30, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
    Tideland Prius, Sarge and mountaineer like this.
  9. Nntw

Nntw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all:

A watershed moment: my first post in this forum.

Any references to the TPMS for the 2023 Prius? I know it's not mandatory in Canada, and some Toyotas have it (Venza) and other don't (RAV4, regardless of trim)

Not sure this was answered, but what I've read is no spare, tire repair kit only.

10. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Or accidentally get in a private ride like @beamsley .;)

11. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Haven’t looked it up or confirmed it, but would be extremely surprised if it didn’t come with TPMS, particularly since there is no spare tire… a key preventive step to reducing risk of tire failure is monitoring air pressures closely to avoid driving on an under inflated tire (leading to blowout, etc), and TPMS supports that. (y)

12. mountaineer

mountaineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    Like choosing 17" wheels on the XSE premium?

13. beamsley

beamsley Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium w/ Solar Cells
    Not that, just being able to pick your own colours, trim, and options instead of waiting for a random allocation at a dealership. Basically if it's an option you can spec in the configurator, you can have it made to your liking. The only downside is you may have to wait a bit longer than just buying one off the lot. That being said, I doubt there will be many sitting on lots considering the expected production numbers.

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Did just did that in 2010; it had a build date 15 months previous. All dusty, dead bird lying beside it.

Not likely to be the norm again, any time soon.

15. Nntw

Nntw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Very good point… TPMS is not mandatory in Canada, though, but your logic is impeccable.

Sarge likes this.
  16. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    When I put my deposit on a Prius Prime last year, it involved filling out an order form for trim, colour, options etc, and putting a deposit. However, the sales guy told me that allocations were random anyway, and they just go down the list offering the vehicle to each person who put a deposit in priority order. He is apparently one of the top sales guys at the dealership and seemed to know what he was talking about, but who knows…

I put my deposit down in May 2022 and when I was there for routine maintenance in November I think he told me I am in the #2 position, but I have no idea when one will ever be allocated… I am guessing July/August at the very earliest, but wouldn’t surprise me if it were end of year or even next spring... (Toyota always gives the early ones to Quebec, like the US does with Cali) o_O Once the Prime details are official I will go see him again and see if any paperwork needs to be updated.

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Used to be able to do it. But then when we "ordered" our 2016 Prius, it wasn't like that. It was more like the US where we were waiting for allocation for the next one to arrive. I thought it was weird since we did "order" our 2002 Camry and 2005 Prius.

18. beamsley

beamsley Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium w/ Solar Cells
    That's too bad. Oh well, it is what it is I guess, at least I can get my preferred colour. My dealer updated me last week to indicate there were no build dates as of yet, which is not surprising since pricing isn't out yet.

19. beamsley

beamsley Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium w/ Solar Cells
    Interesting. I also filled an order form for a 2023 Prime with my preferred options/colour but I wasn't required to put a deposit down since pricing wasn't out at that point (November 2022). She said I would put my deposit down once pricing was available to finalize the order. I guess dealerships handle that differently.

I wonder if that's #2 position at your dealer or all of Canada. I'm hoping it's sometime this summer, but you never know in this weird supply chain constrained world.

20. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    To be clear, I put a deposit for a 2022 with the expectation it would end up being a 2023...;) My sales guy said it would transfer to the new model anyway. Nice if you didn’t need to put a deposit, however without any money down it is basically just a “wish list”, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they allocated cars to whoever they want (employees, friends, etc), and they don’t really know if you are serious… I am sure that list is long if there is no “skin in the game”…. If you put money behind it, there is a bit more leverage (as nobody wants to lose a semi-committed sale or deposit you have put down…).(y)

Re: wait list, I am sure he was talking about just that dealership. I am sure there are others waiting much longer than me. Also, I don’t put a lot of credibility in that number anyway, as the prior time he told me really couldn’t tell me, so he very well could have just been saying that to make me happy. :cautious: Whatever, not losing any sleep over it, the wait just gives me more time to save a larger down payment… :cool:

#120 Sarge, Feb 1, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2023