1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Canadian pricing finally availlable !

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Richard P, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Alrighty.

2. TdotBlizzard

TdotBlizzard New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    All the news finally came out when I was away... but my Blizzard Pearl D Package arrived at the dealer last night and I get to pick it up tomorrow night.

My rep told me the "D" is looking awesome and they are all impressed with the leather.

3. TdotBlizzard

TdotBlizzard New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Oh and let's not talk about the price... the all-in price for the D is a wee bit high, especially because I don't really want the Radar cruise, auto-park or lane keep assist... I'll force myself to use them.

4. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I would love an EBH but have no where to plug it in. As far as the above quote goes ... look it the my MPG in my signature. If you don't have EBH you can still achieve some nice MPG:)

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol but note you don't have to force yourself to use LKA. It isn't available in Canada. Radar cruise is awesome. You guys have a lotta highways. I'm sure you can use it to its fullest.

6. Richard P

Richard P New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Lane keep assist ???

Are you sure it is included with the "D" package ?

I might be wrong but I did'nt see it anywhere in the packages available in Canada !

7. Richard P

Richard P New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Tideland Prius is faster than me !

8. Philosophe

Philosophe 2010 Prius owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Canadian dealers not dealing? -- Montreal experience...

I just went through a displeasing evening with a Toyota Dealer in the Montreal Area :mad:.

I had a Prius Premium (something like the Prius III in the US) reserved since the beginning of may and the car had just arrived on this Monday. Tonight I went through all the staffing and wanted to discussed the pricing before commiting myself. I started by asking 1000$ off, expecting to get between 750 and 500$ off. I felt like this was reasonable as this is on a 29610$CAN Premium Prius with around 1500$CAN of accessories (EBH, remote starter, iPod kit, etc.).

To my surprise, I was told that they don't do any kind of bargaining and that the MSRP is what they always follow. They had to acknowledge the fact that this is not a Toyota Canada policy (as writen on the online tool proposition). While talking with the car salesman, trying to understand, I learned that he is not allowed to discuss pricing with his clients and reticently went to see the sales director and came back with their final offer: 220$CAN worth of mats for free. I was clearly about to leave and asked if I could talk directly with the sales director (who was available) and his answer was that I wouldn't get any better deal from him.

Being also frustrated by the way they "plan" their contract, I decided to break the deal, get my deposit back and leave (When I made a reservation/deposit in may, before pricing was announced, they made me sign the official contract form, as a mean to reserve the car, telling me a final contract would be made if I was to buy it. I then had the presence of mind to write bellow my signature "for reservation only". On this Monday they completed the same contract with the missing info, without me signing it again (I thought it was simply a draft for them) and they tried to use it while talking to make me think I already signed a contract and that I should not try to "go back" on the pricing :mad:.)

Having checked the market in the area few days ago (called few dealers to see in how much time they could get me the same Prius), it doesn't seem like they were willing to break the deal with me simply because many are in line waiting but rather as if their real official policy was: no negotiation, always MSRP. Also, they never talked about the fact that some else would be willing to buy the car if I didn't.

Are their others with the same experience? Is this a Montreal area thing? What kind of deal have you got? :confused:

I made I deposit by phone to another dealer tonight and have an appointment with them on next Monday. I'm not sure what to expect now... :(

9. technoratic

technoratic Newbie Prius Owner :)

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Philosophe, that's rough man...you shouldn't sign anything with these guys...I put a deposit down for my base prius, I said didn't want to sign anything and made them write up an unsigned bill subject to me test driving and inspecting the car. Only then did I start negotiations on the msrp...as far as I'm concerned, the majority of car sales people and their managers are crooks....

10. moner

moner New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I also put a $1000 deposit down in March to reserve my car. Like Technoratic, my deposit was subject to test drive and inspection. Being that it's a brand new model, I never expected to be able to negotiate from MSRP. Instead I negotiated on my trade in (got an extra $1500 from their first offer) and got the 2 sets of mats thrown in. Maybe I'm naive , but I thought that was pretty good for the first day it was on sale in Canada. I don't know if paying cash helped out or not?

11. Philosophe

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My deposit was also subject to pricing (unavailable when I made the reservation) and a visual inspection.

I think I've read elsewhere on PriusChat about someone getting -500$ and free mats on a base Prius in Vancouver. I guess this set the starting point for me on pricing...

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't believe it was BC.

You'd be lucky to get $100 off a Toyota in B.C (new or not). They're simply not dealing. Heck, good luck asking for free accessories like all-weather mats. Other provinces are more willing to give all-weather mats or cargo nets or mudguards (if they're not standard on that Toyota model) and I've seen $500 off a new model but in B.C., they're not budging one bit.

We've bought 3 Toyotas from one dealer and their attitude has gone downhill since. We had plenty of gifts and tokens of appreciation when we bought the first two vehicles and it's the reason why we keep coming back to buy another Toyota from them. We've also given recommendations and had people buy from them. After 2005, their attitude is "if we don't sell it at MSRP to you, we'll sell it to the next guy who comes in" and unfortunately, it echoes throughout the other dealers in the area too so really there's no reason to buy from one over the other. A pity.

My friend bought a new Corolla here in Alberta and he's gotten a good deal out of it. The stuff he got would've made B.C. dealers faint.

13. Radon

Radon New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree totally not BC to the point I have mine ordered and they so much as said if I don't want it they will simply sell it to the next guy. I'm hoping to get a cup holder at least! :cheer2:

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  15. maledyris

maledyris New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ha, that's exactly what they said to me! No discounts, and I voiced some concern about putting down a deposit without even knowing what pricing would be like yet. They said not to worry, if I didn't like it, I could get the deposit back and someone down the line would buy the car.

16. Richard P

Richard P New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I made a 1000$ deposit in March for the car that I will pick up this afternoon. No negotiation was possible for the pricing when it came available. I tried to bargain some gift but I quickly felt that there was no "gift". I will have to pay for my mats !

I asked my dealer if there was any "TRD" (Toyota Racing Development) promotional stuff for my 16 years son ? He showed me the link on the web site and that he would be happy to ordered a cap or a T-shirt. I don't know yet if he will pay for it or not !

17. Philosophe

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hum... I guess I was rough on the dealer, not the other way around?! :p

I'll have to adapt myself to this new context when I go to a new dealer on next Monday (another Grey Premium Prius is reserved for me, deposit made by phone, should arrive in about 2 weeks).

I hope I can still get away with my free cargo mat and side mouldings... :rolleyes:

18. TdotBlizzard

TdotBlizzard New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I picked mine up last night and although haggling was on my mind, I knew that it was pretty much pointless. I reserved in March and counted the days... my dealer did throw in the all-weather mats, so that was nice.

If you want a deal, then buy a 2009. I asked about them and there are a bunch of incentives for them right now (of course, but still Toyota doesn't normally bargain).

so far SOOOOOOOOO good.

19. moner

moner New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it's pretty hard haggling with our dealers when they know how bad we want our cars. It's hard to seem aloof when we're calling them once a week, for months on end, with how about now, how about now? :D

Congratulations! Post up some pics when you get a chance. http://priuschat.com/forums/canadia...3977-canadian-2010-prius-owners-pictures.html

20. paranoidandroid

paranoidandroid New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow. Looks like I did pretty well. I got $200 off MSRP, all-weather mats, hood deflector, (used) center caps, and two coffee mugs.

BUT, I ordered a black base and they 'accidentally' got me a black premium.