1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Canadian Prius c fuel economy thread

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by wongnog, Apr 9, 2012.

1. litesong

litesong Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For Canadians that have any possible access to 100% ethanol-free gasoline, please go to pure-gas.org for the few addresses, details & a great zoomable map, showing the 5200 stations(10 in every 350) selling 100% pure gasoline. After switching our 3 cars to 100% pure gasoline, the 3 cars' mpg increased(of course, in Canada decrease is better) by 8%, 7-8% & 5%. All engines run smoother, quieter, & need less downshifting to ascend hills.
    Altho most(?) U.S. drivers don't have access to the 5000 stations selling 100% pure gasoline, Canadians DON'T EVEN HAVE 200 STATIONS. British Columbia & Ontario have the most stations selling 100% pure gasoline. If you have any stations within range, use 100% pure gasoline. Your engine will thank you by giving you a car with better performance.

2. UnSurreal

UnSurreal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the headsup litesong. Found a place in Waterloo - that's I'm going to start going too.

3. wongnog

wongnog Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Technology
    Interesting link, it looks like a lot Esso, petro Canada and shell stations in Ontario all sell ethanol free gas at the 91 grade. I always fill up with 87 grade because it's cheaper. Is the cost difference in the higher grade gas worth it? How much would it improve my fuel economy?

4. litesong

litesong Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Most of the time, buying higher octane gasoline for your lower octane designed gasoline engine is not worth it. Your 87 octane 100% ethanol-free designed engine gives its best performance with 87 octane 100% ethanol-free gasoline. This is not rocket science. But it is good 87 octane 100% ethanol-free gasoline designed science.

5. wongnog

wongnog Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Technology
    I understand that, but I only see 1 station in the GTA that offers 87 octane 100% ethanol-free gas.

6. litesong

litesong Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know where you live, but I see 3 stations selling 87 octane 100% ethanol-free gasoline in & around Toronto. You really must get all the ethanol out of your gas tank & use a series of tanks to see the delights of 100% ethanol-free gasoline. You & your engine will understand that 100% ethanol-free gasoline is well worth some inconvenience, time, distance & planning to guarantee you pump 100% pure gasoline into your tank.

7. wongnog

wongnog Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Technology
    I live in downtown Toronto. There is only 1 station within a 10km radius that sells 87 octane 100% ethanol free, and that's a Mega Gas. All others sell ethanol free in 91 octane.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    None in 89 octane? Some stations here keep the E10 to 87 only so 89 will be ethanol-free (though there's a pretty big price jump, nearly 10c at times)

9. hpauly

hpauly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Upgrade
    What station did you find in Waterloo selling pure gas and what was the octane
    thanks

10. litesong

litesong Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I see. pure-gas.org seems to have 2 mistakes. Two places located close to Toronto on the map really are in the wrong place, & both should be somewhere in the U.S.

11. UnSurreal

UnSurreal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    All octane's, I called them - but I haven't had a chance to fill up there yet.

(Waterloo - ESSO - 87 89 91 - Wagners Corner - 885 King St. North)

12. cmstlist

cmstlist Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If I'm reading the site correctly, there are no stations in the Greater Vancouver area that have ethanol-free gasoline any lower than 91 octane.

My fuel economy on a commute from East Van to Burnaby with a big up/down in it, over five days in which the first two had Eco Mode off and the remaining three had it on - came out to 4.3 L / 100 km.

13. vernon birdman

vernon birdman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I am getting an average of 4.1 on a little over 2100 kms in the 2 weeks that I have had it. I live in a area with a lot of mountain/uphill and, of course downhill driving. I drove down a mountain the other day and the engine didn't come on for at least 10 kms. !!!

What a great car...

Premium Package Silver Metallic

14. sjb110

sjb110 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    photo.JPG

That's ~84 mpg US...drive home was ~73 mpg US. That's including the usual 5-10 min warm up period.

15. vernon birdman

vernon birdman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I just returned from a 1243 km return trip from Vernon bc to Cranbrook bc. I drove the Crow's Nest highway. The trip average was 4.8. This is excellent considering that I was traveling through the mountains at speeds of 100 -110 kph

16. cmstlist

cmstlist Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    My commute from Clark/1st to south Burnaby was amazing today. I took Knight, Marine and North Fraser way... and managed to eke out 3.3 L / 100 km! Normally I'm up in the 4-4.3 range taking that route or any other. I think it was because today the traffic was "slow and go" but not often stopped. So sometimes I was stuck behind a truck at 40 km/h but I just continued to glide. This trip involves an uphill and down, although it is net a little bit down. What really surprised me was that by the top of the hill, I was around 5.1 for the trip - normally it's a lot higher going uphill. I credit the fact that I hit very few red lights and was moving in slow, steady traffic, such that I rarely had to gas it up quickly.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hills can be advantageous if you know how to use them (and I guess as long as the road network/design was properly built). 3.3L/100km is fantastic!

41st Ave from Cambie to Victoria has rolling hills. Unfortunately, the traffic lights are at the bottom of the hill but if the timing is right, you can take advantage of the terrain.

18. cmstlist

cmstlist Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The shortest distance-wise route is to take Kingsway to Boundary and down the hill, then continue onto North Fraser Way. The obstacles are:
    - Ongoing construction along Kingsway means frequent unpredictable stops and lane changes
    - Kingsway has many blind corners where I can't judge an upcoming red light until I'm too close to stop efficiently
    - More pedestrians and, worse, parallel parkers blocking the right lane of traffic
    - The Boundary hill is too steep to capture as much regeneration energy as possible, and most of the time I have to stop completely at the bottom of the hill
    - The same hill going up is quite taxing on the acceleration

Nonetheless perhaps I'll try Kingsway again when - if - the construction ends.

HUAWEI MediaPad ? 2

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I only take Boundary downhill lol. I prefer to take the more gentle routes uphill. If I do take that route, I usually go into EV Drive Mode (EV button) and try to burn some charge off.

20. cmstlist

cmstlist Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    On the way home I took North Fraser again, Marine, Argyle to 59th to Knight and then home (since there is no direct turn from WB Marine to NB Knight). I managed 3.8 L / 100 km with a slight net uphill. So today I averaged 3.55. Not bad! I found myself behind a gradually accelerating truck again so I decided to roll with it because it helped me keep my acceleration down. And unlike other times that I go easy on the accelerator, nobody wants to cut in front of me when I'm behind a truck, because they're going to pass the truck too :) Total drive time was about 28 minutes. On super-good traffic days I can rarely get down to 25 minutes with Kingsway, but then on the worst days it's more like 35 so it's a gamble.

59th is a little residential street and I know I shouldn't be using it to cut over, but it just happens to be the first turn with no stop sign. If I wait longer and make the next turn from Argyle I have to brake at the top of a hill and wait longer.