1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Canadian Prius Prime infos

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Flaming, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Flaming

Flaming Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    Hello new owner here ,
    i just got my Blizzard pearl Prime last week. It's the top trim called Thecnology (QC)

i watched a lot of reviews and video on the internet about this car and while using the car for the past days i discovered many things that the Canadian version doesn't have. So if there are other Canadian buyers here, it is better to be informed before buying :)

-No Entune support ( cannot use a smartphone with entune app to monitor your car. App not available in google play store for Canada )
    -No Apps menu ,you get the Info(teal) , Phone(green) and destination(blue) only .. no Apps suite icon(purple)
    -No speed limit pop-up indicator
    -No weather app informations in the infotainment. ( unless it's broadcasted by the radios stations , it's just a scolling text under the frequency)
    -No traffic informations in the infotainment.
    -No Predictive efficient drive in the navigation infotainment.
    -No warning buzzer or warning light for the rear seal belts.

About the problems I've read here , i don't seem to have the paint peeling issue in the front bumper. I noticed that the rear hatch glass is misaligned. You have to really look at it to notice it , Must be within Toyota '' specs '' because we talk about one millimeter or two so no big deal. I tested thoroughly to see if there was water infiltration .. and nop ... all good.

If anyone here has specific questions, I will be pleased to answer for the Thecnology model. For now i can't tell if the Canadian Base model get the Smart lock port charger , thats the only question i asked to my dealer and they had no idea.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  2. Gaëtan Lafrance

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    Bonjour,

J'ai contacté Toyota canada , et, effectivement, ce que vous rapportez est malheureusement vrai. Faut espérer que Android auto prenne le relève bientôt!

I hope Android auto will work with Prime.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No Android Auto or AppleCarPlay

4. Gaëtan Lafrance

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    Bad"

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota claims it's for privacy purposes (i.e. they rather not give/sell your data to a 3rd party like Google or Apple and would rather have control over your information). Take that as you will.

The optimist will say that it's better for the company that is providing the service to be in charge of safekeeping your data rather that selling it to a 3rd party (then you start getting ads in your gmail or google searches based on where you've been)

The pessimist will say that Toyota doesn't want to relinquish control over the entertainment system to a 3rd party (otherwise all the money spent on Entune is wasted)

6. Gaëtan Lafrance

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    But in USA you have Entune for privicy?
    Bizarre!

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm an optimist by nature, and a pessimist by choice.

Gaëtan Lafrance likes this.
  8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes Entune is Toyota's proprietary system. So any data that Entune collects, stays with Toyota.

It's not privacy as in your car isn't connected. It's privacy as in "we're collecting it anyway so we're choosing to keep it within our vaults rather than hand it over to Google or Apple".

Any car with Entune 3.0 now will be connected (DCM - Data Connection Module). It's no different from Ford (where you can lock/unlock your car with a smartphone) or Lexus Enform (if you own a Lexus within the last 10 years with Lexus Enform, it already has DCM).

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    or, we'll hand it over to the highest bidder, not give it away for free.:cool:

10. Flaming

Flaming Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    I can understand why Entune Apps is not available in Canada. Maybe because of some kind of deals between Toyota and cellular providers. or some apps that simply dont cover the Canadian territory.

I just dont get it why (PED) Predictive efficient drive is not available .... as far as i can understand , the car just record your habits and teach you how to drive more efficiently .. it's like if the car add automatic POI in the navigation to help you .. I dont really care that much about Entune but PED is really a feature that I would have liked to have. I guess it's a trade-off .. i get a heated steering and a battery heater but no PED and Entune :)

Gaëtan Lafrance likes this.
  11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Cellular network coverage is the main reason. Sure it'll be fine for those in Montreal, GTA and Vancouver but even as recent as 5 years ago, coverage was pretty poor in the prairies (3G... no LTE and there are dead zones within Banff and Jasper National Park with no cellular coverage so don't break down!)

Also, data plans are expensive in Canada so a 1hr+ commute x twice a day x 5 days a week x 4 weeks streaming audio can eat up into a small data plan.

The 2018 Camry (in dealerships now) is the first car with Entune in Canada and comes with Entune 3.0. Other cars will follow so maybe we'll get it in the Prime by the redesign (or hopefully sooner but I doubt it).

Entune 3.0 includes DCM and thus includes...

• Safety Connect (stolen vehicle locator, emergency SOS services, automatic collision notification, enhanced roadside assistance). 3-year subscription
    • Destination Assist (for models with embedded navigation) - access to a live operator for navigation purposes (6 month subscription)
    • Entune App Suite (traffic incidents, weather, Slacker radio, Yelp, sports, fuel prices, stocks, NPR1 radio) (no subscription)

Yeah I don't know why PED isn't included. I don't know if it requires a cellular connection (it shouldn't.. it should be GPS-based)

La Camry 2018 (à votre concession maintenant) est le premier modèle de Toyota au Canada avec Entune 3.0; D'autres modèles suivront.

Entune 3.0 inclu MCD (module de communication de données)

• Safety Connect (localisation de véhicule volé, touche d'assistance d'urgence (SOS), notification automatique de collision et assistance routière améliorée). Abonnement de 3 ans
    • Assistance destinations (accès d'un operatoeur en direct). Abonnement de 6 mois
    • Entune App Suite (incidents de la circulation, méteo, radio Slacker, Yelp, sports, prix de l'essence, bourse et radio NPR One). Aucun abonnement requis

Gaëtan Lafrance and Flaming like this.