1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Canadian Roll-Call

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by ECHELON, May 7, 2008.

1. ECHELON

ECHELON New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Let's get this forum rockin', eh! Many thanks to Tideland Prius for getting a section for us Crazy Canucks. So, who are the regulars? :welcome:

2. Buckland

Buckland New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Buck here from Cobourg Ontario, just moved from Ottawa, the second coldest capital city in the world!! It's a great place to be from.

Buck:canada:

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    TP checking in from the we(s)t coast... although I'm in Ontario now.

4. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You called -EH? ;)

Gabe here :canada: in GTA.

5. hiremichaelreid

hiremichaelreid New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I

Depends on how you measure or who you quote. Coldest Capital Cities says 7th. Ottawa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia says 7th or 3rd.

Mike in Aylmer, Quebec; next to the Gatineaus and across the river from Ottawa.

I think the price of gas could have a subtle effect on my house value. Many live here in cheaper houses than Ottawa, but commute to jobs in Ottawa across congested bridges.

I'm doing a commute across those bridges every working day. 30 km each way but it takes half an hour. If I went at peak traffic times it would take 45 minutes, most of the extra dealing with one lane being a bus lane and the bridges with a bus and carpool lane.

Hmm, I should lobby for letting hybrids into the special lanes ! :)

I've been noticing an increase in small cheap scooters and smartfortwo cars lately. Prius's are still relatively uncommon; I might see one every 2nd day.

My black Prius should arrive in 12 days, so until then I'm just a wanna-be getting about 12.5L/100km in my 4000 pound Stealth TT/AWD.

6. ebsmythe

ebsmythe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Just checking in. My wife and I each drive a 2007 Prius with Package 5 (both purchased in Indiana) and love them. We are in Port Perry which is about 40 miles north-east of Toronto.

7. JayGoldstein

JayGoldstein Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Jay in Winnipeg. Glad there's now a forum for us Canucks.

8. Agnes

Agnes New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hello, I'm new to Prius as of Monday and this is my first post. I live in Dundas, Ontario but will be relocating to Guelph this summer. Glad to make the connection with this group.

9. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Fibb here, desperate for a Plug-in conversion - can't stop thinking about it. Victoria, BC.

10. lesbleus

lesbleus New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hey brand new to this site. Moved to Vancouver, B.C. from NYC in January and bought a 2008 Prius. Love it but I must say it's not so good in snow or rain for that matter. At this point (3,200 km), I'm getting 6.4L/100km which seems to translate to 35mpg. Not so good but is this usual for a brand new Prius? Driving breakdown is 95% city, 5% hwy.

11. hiremichaelreid

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I

Thats about 44 Imperial (British/Canadian) MPG according to my calc or about 37 US MPG. What kind of city speeds do you reach and are you heavy right footed ? At 3k km's perhaps you are still breaking it in; and the summer mileage should be better.

I haven't got my Prius yet but I recall seeing Bridgestone tires ? I think the US OEM 16" tires are Bridgestone Turranza (sp?) and the reviews for those on Tirerack are awful for wear speed, rain and snow. I think these are cheap tires perhaps good for mileage testing, but not real good for driving on. They seem to be average for summer driving.

Based on what I've read, I'm thinking of upgrading to Continental Something-Contact as it's rated well on Tirerack and is the only top seller besides OEM they show for the Prius stock tire size on 16" wheels.

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Hello and welcome to PC and Canada!

It's ok in the snow and rain only when the tyres are new lol. I've upgraded mine to Nokian WRs and it's a world of difference. If you do want Nokians, go back to the US as it's cheaper to buy them there than at KalTire (the one I went to still offered lifetime rotations and stuff like that).

6.4 is alright. It gets better every summer. It also depends on which part of Vancouver you're in. Once you get to know the city better, you can plan more fuel efficient routes. It took me 3 summers before I got 3.9L/100km and it's 100% city driving with pulse & glide technique.

But before that, I was in the 5s and 6s. So enjoy the car (and the nice weather you guys are having) and let the car (and yourself) break-in as you learn how to maximise the car's potential.

May I suggest a read through the Knowledge Base for tips and tricks?

13. orenf

orenf New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Burnaby, BC

14. MSantos

MSantos EcoAccelerometry

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    Count one more from Winnipeg... actually, one owner with 3 Prius (used as company vehicles and occasional Costco runners). ;)

Cheers;

MSantos

15. sharsept

sharsept New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yeah Canada.
    Just bought my 2008 Seaside Pearl Prius on Wed. Love it so far. Can't wait for see how far I can get on a tank of gas. It just went up another 4 cents a litre yesterday here in Medicine Hat, AB. That makes it 1.29.9 per litre now.
    Just got finished filling out my rebate forms so I think I'll drive down to the post office and get them in the mail today. Anyone know how long it takes to get the rebate $$$'s back.

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats and welcome!

wow $1.299? nice. It's $1.25 here inToronto and $1.35 in Vancouver.

Hmm, not sure. I'm still waiting for my smart's EcoAuto rebate. I filed it at the end of April

17. hiremichaelreid

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Dealer tells me my Black base Prius is in the Toronto warehouse and should be ready here in Ottawa this week.

Original ETA was 11 days from ordering when the car was at port of Vancouver. A few days later it was on the train and they added 5 days for "wiggle room", which SHOULD have meant I'd have my car today at latest. I guess they needed more wiggle room. :(

I guess Toyota Canada can track the ordered vehicles as they cross the country. Salesman promised to keep me updated but I've been having to email him and wait a few days for responses.

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    well congrats on your purchase!!

Yeah no the train takes a while. When I shipped my car here, it arrived in Toronto within a week. But it wasn't until day 12 could I actually pick up the car.

19. hiremichaelreid

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Things are rollin' now.. :plane: (or flyin'?)

I just sold my old car tonight. I put it at the end of my driveway and had 2 potential buyers visit over the weekend. Second guy bought tonight, deal to close on Thursday because I don't have my Prius yet. BTW, 94 Dodge Stealth Turbo AWD/AWS 320+ HP, last fillup today with the last gas I'll ever put in the car: 17 MPG. I had this wonderful, but "oh so 90's fuel efficiency wise" car for 12 years now and we've treated each other pretty well.

And what do I get tonight but an email from the dealer: :D

We are expecting your Prius here tomorrow, Tuesday. Assuming it arrives tomorrow, it will be ready for delivery to you on Thursday afternoon.
    As soon as it has arrived and we have touched it I will give you a call.

Woohoo ! The stars appear to be in alignment.

I'm also shifting all of my insurance over to RBC from La Capitale and expect to save over $1k a year; about $1300 instead of $2400.

I'm still a bit miffed about the slipped ETAs though. First ETA was May 20, then May 25, then May 27, now May 29. So 12 days turns into 21 if I'm lucky from here on in.

That's muich better than some of the crazy wait times US residents are getting, AND I got $1k off of MSRP. I'm convinced Toyota is limiting shipments to countries, like the US, where they aren't making as much money. Eg. $21K US MSRP for base Prius compared to $29.5k minimum in Canada, although it seems to be a package 2+ equivalent...

Anyway, Woohoo ! :)

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats!! wow. AWS? One of the rare cars to offer that.

$1k off? nice. I do not know.. US always seems to have waiting lists. We get our cars a lot faster. I waited a month and a bit for mine to be factory built at a time when US buyers were waiting 6 months +.