1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Canadian Roll-Call

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by ECHELON, May 7, 2008.

1. Lloyd9

Lloyd9 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ScanGuage from the web, imported ScanGaugeII - Trip Computers + Digital Gauges + Scan Tool so you'll pay customs. Shark fin VG Shark Fin Antenna - Home from Richmond. Recieved fin Friday, yet to be installed. (discount, paid cash)
    PriusChat store will ship to Canada, but you have to ask and only some products.
    (yes avoid 3 road like the plague)

2. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Montreal.

My pet peeve right now is that the Prius is now allowed free or reduced pricing in municipal parking lots, and be free for parking meters.

I tell everyone municipal employee I meet, that Ontario / Toronto has this now.

Also, I'm 2.5 years away from PHEV + Stealth Button on my 2006 classic silver.

Ya, I read/write French *better* than the average French-only residents. Spanish is next!

3. chrisky

chrisky Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    Hello everyone. New to this forum. We live in Mount Hope, Ontario which is on the border between Hamilton & Ancaster. We own a 2006 Barcelona Red Prius. Absolutely love it. The car also has a backup camera.
    Agnes, we also purchased the car from Ancaster Toyota. They were very good and accommodating.

4. orenf

orenf New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    LLoyd - you're getting the Federal rebate on a US-imported car? That's supposedly impossible and against ecoAUTO rules - can you confirm? (see Questoin 14 here - Questions and Answers - ecoAUTO Program - Tranpsort Canada)

5. Lloyd9

Lloyd9 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I actually (on paper) bought the car from a BC Registered Auto-Dealer/Broker. As far as Trans Can is concerned, the car was purchased in Canada and I paid the GST/PST. The broker registered the car in BC before the sale as new, which is was. The broker deducted the PST Rebate at time of sale.
    Still waiting to see if the make a stink about it.
    i'll re-post when/if I get it.

6. Shawn

Shawn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I bought the 2006 car about mid May 08 at Oakville Motors. I actually searched for this car on driving.ca and autotrader.ca for several months. It is very difficult to find and purchase a used Prius at a decent price.
    I seem to get better mileage driving on cruise control on the highway. It must be because of the constantly changes grades and speeds in Ottawa. I go from 40 kms to 60kms to 50 kms and 100 kms on my route to work. I think that the Prius has made me a better driver already although I never was lead footed or in a hurry.

7. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi Shawn,

Congrats on your Prius and welcome. I believe CTV had a consumer segment on Oakville Motors importing cars from the US and reselling it. Was this the case for your Prius?

8. hiremichaelreid

hiremichaelreid New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I

Yeah, I was wondering about this. The wording says it must be new and purchased from a Canadian "dealer", but they didn't define dealer as far as I know and I was wondering if a broker would qualify.

One "broker" I contacted said they would register it to US resident and then it would be sold to me as used. BUT, I think if broker was a "dealer" and I could register as "new" then Fed rebate should be available.

9. orenf

orenf New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'll reserve judgment until someone confirms they had actually received the rebate for an imported vehicle, but:

(a) The vehicle is registered with the provincial authority, has nothing to do with the dealer. You buy it new in the US, from a US Toyota dealer, you never register it in the US (you get a temp. permit to drive it out of the country), you import it ,and you register it for the first time ever in your province. That's the easy part - that's how we all did it.

(b) BUT the Bill of Sale, and the MSO (Manufacturer's Statement of Origin) originate in the US, and bear the details of the US dealer who had originally imported the vehicle.

Note that if you the car was ever registered in the US - if you buy it used - you won't qualify for the federal rebate AND you'll lose BC PST refund (no clue about Ontario).

Both Federal refund and BC PST refund clearly state that the vehicle must be new = must never have been registered anywhere. The problem is that the Federal rebate also states that US-imported vehicles are excluded, even if they were never registered (the criteria has to do with the dealer who sold the vehicle, not whether or not is was registered).

Still, I'll be very happy to learn that someone imported a new vehicle from the US and was able to receive the federal rebate.

10. Ozzyprv

Ozzyprv New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Greetings from Red Deer, Alberta.

Everything ok with my Prius so far. The only thing that drives me nuts is the gasoline gauge!. One of the best examples of non-linear measurements out there....

11. Shawn

Shawn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Although I would not be surprised by Oakville Motors trying to pass off the car as Canadian when it was a US import, the car was purchased by someone in Toronto. I check the V.I.N. and Toyota Canada to verify what I was being told. Shopping used doe shave some risks, but my purchase was a well calculated risk.

12. JRMurray

JRMurray Magnetic Gray is the only way!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    For those of us who live in the Lower Mainland ...

If you see a magnetic gray metallic '08 Prius with T-CHA as its plate ... it's me! Wave and say hi! :)

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol.. nice plate! I'll be back in a month lol. If you see a guy in a smart waving at you, that'll be me lol.

14. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello. How did I miss this?

I gave up waving at Prius around here years ago - my arms got tired. But I'll definitely wave back! Yeah, the car's silver, and the plate says HYO.

15. Nevis

Nevis Nevis

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I'm in Blakeney just north of Almonte just west of Ottawa and we got our Barcelona red 09 on saturday from Mendes. If you want to hear it, I have a caveat emptor about TGLT.

16. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  17. canadianprius

canadianprius Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am here in Calgary - I would welcome any other Calgary/Alberta contacts.

18. Lloyd9

Lloyd9 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did the US Import have the Odometer in KM or Miles?
    I have a US import, the Speedometer can swap between Miles and KM's, but the Odometer and MPG are Miles.
    If it was modified, i'd like to know how to do it.
    thx

19. Radon

Radon New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Heya from Vancouver.

Smart car driver here atm but I'm thinking a Prius convert with the 2010 this spring. I've been lurking and reading these forums for quite a while but hadn't registered till I saw Toyota post they where coming to Toronto with the 2010. I had to post in the hope they'd visit the wet coast.

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They will.

You drive a 450 or 451?