1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Canadian vs. American Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by enigma88, Jun 9, 2012.

1. enigma88

enigma88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello there!

I'm new to the forums and I'm contemplating buying a 2011 Prius. During my research, I have been using websites like Edmunds and Motor Trend to look up the specifications of the Prius. However, I live in Canada and to my surprise, it looks like the Canadian and American models are different? The one I'm most concerned about is: the American Prius has a cargo space of 21 cubic feet where the Canadian model only has 15.5 cubic feet (according to the Toyota Canada website).
    Where did the 6 cubic feet go? And why would Toyota make 2 different versions of the Prius for countries that are so close together?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Have a great weekend!

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This seems more likely to be an editing error, or a difference in how the space is computed, than a difference in the actual cars.

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The cars are identical other than option packaging. It's probably different standards of measurement. We also require the child seat attachment points, which I don't think are required in the US (that may have changed now).

Each country's transport department has different requirements and the vehicles are equipped to ensure those are met. If you tried to import a US Prius you'd find out what the differences are that impact those regulations.

4. enigma88

enigma88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Hi David!

Thank you for replying to my question about "Canadian vs. American" cars. For a second I thought: "Not only were we paying more than the Americans but getting smaller cars as well". =P

I noticed that you are from Edmonton, I'm from Alberta too! If you don't mind me asking...can you let me know how much you paid for your Sea Glass Prius (with Technology package)? I'm looking into buying a Prius and was wondering if I'm getting good quotes/offers.

Also, I might end up buying a 2011 base model (no display screen/backup camera but only 400km)...I offered $23,100, but not sure if that is too high. It will come with tinted windows, hood deflector, side body mouldings and window visors. I was wondering if I could have your opinion on this.

P.S. I tried to send you a private conversation but didn't know how...

Thank you for your time.
    Henry

5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I think you will find the Prius is finally competitive in Canada. Prices dropped here but went up in the US. The "fully loaded" Prius (Technology Package) is listed at $34,080. I didn't find any dealer who would come down on that. I did find the -final- deal was about $2000 less out of Edmonton in Wetaskiwin.

The 2011s were "on sale" when I was shopping last month, but I wanted the 2012. I don't know what's a good deal on the 2011s.

6. Buzzhead

Buzzhead Non-Interference w/ devel of pre-Warp civs

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The Canadian Prii are more polite!;)

7. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I like the bluetooth option because it allows for for hands free cell phone operation.

If your Canadian dealer sells and installs the Toyota 400W engine block heater (EHB) - consider it though it is not standard or not an already installed option. Prewarming up a Prius with for 30 minutes to 90 minutes before a cold start when the outside temperature is less than 40 degrees Fahrenheit should increase a Prius trip MPG atleast 10 mpg.

Toyota Prius' exterior paint chips and scratch easily. Toyota Prius' exterior metallic paint colors like Blue Ribbon are difficult to repaint if it gets scuff or scratch -- often a touch up wont work well and often repainting will require doing the entire panel or the entire car to get it *right* which makes for a more expensive paint job - flat white and black exterior paint colors are the easiest to repaint - I suggest either white/blizzard pearl or their black only because its easier to repaint and touchup. The bottom airdam of the front bumper tends to get scuffed up a bit because of uneven curbs and driveways.

For colder and wetter regions ... consider WeatherTech rubber floormats and cargo mats to protect the carpet.

Prius MPG is premised on the use of low rolling resistant (LRR) tires - if you are buying a previously owned Prius check to see if the tires are the original tires that came with the car or if they put on new tires - if the tires are not LRR - they should be swapped out for LRR tires type.

hope this helps