1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cancelled xm but got it back

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by reustis, Nov 29, 2010.

1. reustis

reustis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I let the 3 months lapse and now got it back.

But now I cannot get xm to work on steering wheel buttons. How can I reprogram the buttons to work? Also, I can only get one xm feed instead of the two I had when the car was new.

Forgot to mention, this is Prius III w/out navigation.

Thank you.

2. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That sounds like a problem with the radio, not XM. I never renewed my XM (bought the last day of July) and I was scanning through Modes the other day, and still had XM reception on the channels I had originally programmed. I never listen to XM, so I don't know if you have to be tuned in to XM for them to turn off the service or not, just thought it was odd it was still there. You're Dealership would have started the service, they may be able to help with the steering wheel controls, but I still think that is a function of the radio and would have nothing to do with XM.

3. Spenumatsa

Spenumatsa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    XM is offering 60 channels free from Nov 18th to Dec 1st. That is why you, me and others are getting the radio broadcast for free.

4. reustis

reustis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I realize it is a radio problem....just don't know how to get it to work on steering wheel again......when I let the xm run out the steering wheel buttons stopped going to xm altogether......

5. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Are the steering controls working for the regular radio, CD, Aux, etc? If so, then you have me stumped as to why they're not working with just XM, if it's not working with any, then I'd say it's either a wiring problem with the steering controls or a problem with the radio, and you should bring it to your dealership and have it fixed under warranty.

6. reustis

reustis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    The buttons are working for all the rest, just not for the xm......thanks.......will be going in soon for 15,000 mile checkup...so I will get it taken care of then.....

I was hoping someone would know? I tried pushing and holding the xm and waiting, hold xm and push other buttons.....so far nothing.

7. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That is an interesting problem, please keep us posted as to the outcome. I just received an offer of 12 months for $77 in the mail today. I may go for it just because we have some trips coming up... I will definitely watch to see what happens with my steering wheel controls...

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Periodically I get junk mail offers for 5 months for $20(?). I don't pay attention to these as they go straight into the garbage.

9. reustis

reustis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I tried all sorts of combinations on drive home yesterday with no help.

I will keep you informed.....may be a week before I go to the dealer.

I may call them and ask them for assistance.

thanks for the help

10. reustis

reustis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Does anyone know how to get to the battery in the back of the car? Maybe if I unhook and let it reset everything it will work?

11. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have not gone there yet, but it is detailed in the owner's manual. I know it's under the rear floor and you may have to remove a panel to get access. I remember reading about it in the manual, but can't recall the exact process. Didn't seem to difficult though...

12. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    In the right rear corner of the cargo area, there is a small section of the floor that lifts up. The 12V battery is right under this section. The negative (-) wire goes from the battery to the chassis right at the battery. Disconnect this negative lead at the chassis for about 10 to 15 minutes to let everything discharge and then reconnect.

Plan to lose your radio presets, among a few other things. Search this forum for a complete list of items that you will lose when you disconnect the 12V battery, though before disconnecting.

13. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    As pointed out above you will lose a few settings but nothing serious, here is what I discovered: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...v-battery-no-change-customizable-options.html

Check your Owner's Manual page 436 for battery location.

Unhooking the battery to reset everything won't hurt and may fix the problem. Interestingly I have 3 sets of 6 settings for XM vice the two you mentioned, must be a difference in the audio systems.

14. jim256

jim256 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What sequence do you get when you push the Mode button on the wheel? Mine switches with each push of mode--FM1, FM2, AM, SAT1,SAT2,SAT3.

15. reustis

reustis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II

I get the same sequence as you do.....

I tried unhooking the battery yesterday.....didn't leave unhooked long enough.....when it stops snowing here I will do again and leave for the 10-15 minutes and see what happens....obviously nothing much happened for the 5 minutes I left it unhooked....

thanks for all the help

16. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I suspect the 5 minutes you had it unhooked was good enough to do a reset. You could also try an XM Rapid Refresh from their web sight. https://home.xmradio.com/retailrefresh_view.action

17. reustis

reustis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II

sorry, your link does not work....although it could be because I am at work and radio stations are blocked....I will try when I get home tonite....

again thanks

18. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Is your XM working at all anymore? Their free-broadcast trial time is now over.

I'm wondering whether you had an issue at all with your radio. All your other "bands" were working. Satellite radio is somewhat finicky, in my experience. Maybe you weren't getting a great signal, or maybe your radio didn't properly "initialize" to the free-service's authorization.

19. reustis

reustis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I bought a new full year subscription......

20. reustis

reustis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Well now this is probably the problem.......on ride home....xm wasn't working.....called XM because my wife had been on the phone with them for a long time last friday......they totally lost///misplaced....whatever the order and didn't get me hooked up....then while talking to them about the order she did last friday they were the rudest people in the world....so I told my wife to ask for the supervisor......10 minutes more on hold :mad: and no one picked up....wife called back....immediately asked for supervisor.....after 5 minutes more on hold :mad: she gave up.....

they have pissed me off......:mad:

thanks for all the chats.....If I ever get it hooked up I will let u know what happens....

Merry Christmas to all :)