1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cannot access vehicle--dead battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by John Caffaro, Jun 16, 2012.

1. John Caffaro

John Caffaro New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    How about removing the emergency key from the key fob and putting it on the key hole on the driver's door?

If you have SKS, you should've disabled SKS via the button under the dash to help prevent the 12 volt from being drained, although the parasitic loss may still have been too great.

Be ABSOLUTELY positive you're using the correct polarity when jumping. There are jumping terminals under the hood. See the manual. A reversed polarity can blow the inverter which has a 4-digit price tag.

Since you've killed your 12 volt, you should probably replace it now as it's old anyway.

Although it won't save you any money, many here prefer New Optima 12v Yellow Top D51 battery with Pencil Posts | PriusChat over an OEM Toyota replacement.

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    When charging the battery do not charge at more than 4amps. Charging time will vary depending on charge current but as a guide, At 4amps charge for 12HRS At 2amps charge for 24HRS.

If you need to fit a new battery it is worth noting that the OEM battery has more capacity than the Optima, but the Optima will stand more punishment "deep discharges" than the OEM battery.

If you travel allot and leave the car for extended periods put the battery on a battery tender charger, or disconnect the negative cable in the back of the car from the battery to the body.

John.

4. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I just replaced my OEM battery today with a Yellow Top Optima I bought from Advance Auto. Don't forget to use the online coupon and the manufactures rebate too.

5. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Original battery?

6. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Yes. The original battery in my 2005 Gen2 was showing 12.47 volts at full charge. I have had three incidents where the ignition was left on too long causing a no start condition. The latest one was last week when I was having window tinting installed. The installer left the ignition on so that he could roll the windows up an down. After an hour the system went dead and we had to jump start it.

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That'll do it. The Prius 12V battery was never intended for that sort of operation. If you are still running your original battery, especially if it's been flattened multiple times, you are way overdue for a new battery.

Tom

8. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I "was" way overdue. :)