1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cannot Decide - please input your 2$

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by mudmanrv, May 21, 2012.

1. jabecker

jabecker driver of Prii since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I suggest you load your family, drums, and sound gear up in your wife's van and take it down to the dealer. Try loading all of it into a Prius and a V and see where it fits better -- or at all.

Now consider how much of the time you would be needing to haul either your family or the other stuff, vs how much of the time you will be commuting alone.

Drive both cars and see which you like better. Drive them for the weekend if you can. I don't think that the seats show their true colors in a 15 minute drive. The Gen 2 seats were way more comfy than Gen 3, in my opinion. I'm glad to have the power seats on my 4.

I also really like having auto headlights, auto-dimming mirror, and HUD.

But those were the things that were important to me. Your mileage may vary.

2. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    With Prius (V and III) it's the uncomfortable (for many) seats. Same seats in both cars but the Prius III/4 offers power seats which fix the problem.

You are driving 100 miles a day so that would be a make or break issue you'd need to resolve. Tell the dealer you want to drive it to work and back. If it is comfortable for you, get the cheapest Prius out there and get a Garmin GPS and you are saving big bucks coming and going. If the seats are uncomfortable, then you know you need to spend big bucks going in to get the PriusIII/4 but you'll still save them going with higher mpg of the Prius III over the Prius V.

3. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Me too! Change my vote to a Prius Liftback. You've got the van to take care of the full crew. You won't be happy with the Prius V because if you get 40 mpg with it, you'll wonder if you could have gotten 55 mpg with the liftback.

4. Absolutly Red Hot

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I bought the level one Prius C and commute by myself. On weekends I have the Honda Odd Van. I now find all five family members in the prius on weekends. You just cannot beat the 50 plus MPG. The Van gets to rest up alot. I even went to Home Depot and put my 8 foot boards in the back of the Prius running between the seats and into the passenger floor area, Closed the hatch and said "who needs a Mom Van!" On a single family income I would look at used gen 2 and drive the wheels off it. Best of luck.

5. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Compared to a Blazer either the V or the standard would more than double your MPGs! Since the van is the people mover most of the time, go with the liftback. Try the 3 to see if standard seats are comfy enough, you can get nice leather installed either through the dealer or aftermarket covers to save some $.

6. mudmanrv

mudmanrv Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I did a search on the ol' blazer ... and edmunds had all the cargo detail still available. The V is actually about 1.5 inches longer in the wheelbase - though about 1.5 inches shorter overall ... and the cargo space behind the seats - while up - is almost identical.

Believe me, I have ran the numbers on fuel savings over an over. worst case scenario - I buy the V, I'm still double mileage - if I opt for a gen3 3/4 i get almost 2.5 times... but in reality .. it's like $380 a year difference. I think it worked out to about $31 a month difference. sure, one could argue that adds up over time, but compared to the almost $500/mth i spend now - i'm leaps and bounds ahead.

The dealer I've been working with right now, doesn't offer an overnight driver... not sure if that's their policy or what... but you are correct, 10-15 minutes in the seat isn't long enough.

I know they have a v3 there - like I want. they dealer traded anticipating my purchase. the car has 102 miles on it - since they drove it from the trade dealer. kinda bummed about that - would like to have next to 0 but - it is what it is. they have a std. 4 on the lot but no 3, and i'd have to look at the options on it - the sunroof and hud are nice - but puts it out of budget for me. my goal was to be at 26k purchase price of car - +tax so out the door for 28k... i'll see how close i can get.

7. BreitrthnU

BreitrthnU Can you smell the premix?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was in the same position as you. I have a 6mnth old and plan on having another soon too. I wanted the space but the mileage hit was pretty big to me. The wife hates cloth and hated the fact that the V doesnt come with power seats. We ended up getting the hatch 4. More mileage, leather, and power seats and Im a big guy due to the seat angle we are able to put the baby seat rear facing in the center. Theres not much space on the two rear window seats but since you have kids Id say go for the hatch. I plan on trading in the camry once the wagon gets power seats. I love driving the prius either way getting good mileage is a new video game that no one knows I play.

8. ralleia

ralleia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If there's a plan to put any car seat in the center, then it should be tried out first.

In all the latest Toyotas that I've tried (haven't tried any other manufacturer but I'd hazard it's the same) the latch connections were only provided for the left and the right read seats, not the center.

9. Sweet Turtle

Sweet Turtle New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Carseats don't need LATCH, although it is easier. Is your baby in an infant carrier or a convertible carseat? I'd venture to say she's in an infant carrier. Once she sizes out of that and is in a rear facing (recommended till 2 yrs old) convertible, I doubt it will fit in that middle section. She'll probably need to be behind the passenger seat. We have our daughter in a rear facing convertible and it fits just find behind my 5'10" husband although he does have to move the seat up a bit. He's still comfortable. This is in a Prius 4. So... my vote is the III.

10. Sweet Turtle

Sweet Turtle New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Although, you're going to love either of them! I have a 100 mile commute everyday and I was driving a Pathfinder. I filled up with gas every 3 days. That's about $70 every 3 days. Ugh. It COST me $20 a day just to get to work. Awful. Now I fill up about every 5 days and it cost me like $35. HUGE difference! HUGE! We can spend $35 on lunch (the adult kind with drinks and actual food)!!!

11. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    My wive works, her commute is just a hair more than yours; she does 30,000 miles/year.

We got the standard Prius gen-3.

She loves it. When we go on trips we love it.

We recently drove cross-country, 4100 miles round trip with four large adults and luggage, for a wedding [our eldest son's]. The trip was great! Big people fit nicely. There is room for car seats too.

I suggest that you buy a stripped down Prius hatchback.

You will love it. :)

12. mudmanrv

mudmanrv Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    that almost exactly where i am. i can go mon-thur. on one tank ... 18 gallon tank about 65 to fill on empty. i do that twice a week... its anywhere between 450-500 a month... there was a time when my wife was working - with her commute almost the same... we were up to 700 a month in gas.

either car will help - though i do have to finance- so the saving wont be right away, however the 450 payment will be only about 200 extra out of pocket with the fuel saving offset. that will be easier to swallow.

now if i can just decide.

the rear seats on the pri3 look more comfortable not having the hinge hard plastic areas that the v has... important to me is leg room, and space for stroller or a couple suitcases if we go overnight somewhere... or lawn chairs for the fireworks, etc. i think the reg. prius would do that- if not we always have the van ...

13. hmcgregor

hmcgregor New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We are in a similar position, though one less kid.

We found that two kids and luggage did just fine in either of our 2005 and 2007 Priuses.

We just purchased a PiP basic, and found it works well too, we have a 5 year old, and a 2 year old (rear facing) both in car seats. Just did a trip Tucson to Disneyland with the PiP without issues.

I would recommend the Gen 3 package 4 over the V, if you pack well, it works great, and it sounds like the van would be used for larger stuff anyway even if you had the Prius V.

The Gen 3 has more space then our PiP due to the extra battery area in the PiP.

We use the Sunshine kids car seats, and you can even put 3 across (though your 11 year old is either out of car seats entirely or in a booster), and don't see any problems when another child is added to the mix with our PiP.

If you have to take everything with you on a trip, you will take the van anyway, and not the Prius V.

14. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have three kids, ages. 10, 10 and 12, and the three fit in the back of our Prius hatchback just fine. In your case, you've got a carseat to deal with, and they vary tremendously in size; I'd try to find a moderately narrow one and take it to the dealer and put that seat in along with your older kids.

However, under no circumstances should you or anyone buy a new car with a wife and three kids in the dealership. They'll get your kids all excited, then jerk you around at the last minute with some added expense, and they'll basically wear you down because the kid will be crying and your wife will want to get out of there... It's the classic car salesman ripoff scenario. No matter what he promises you, go back to buy the car alone, willing to give up and go to another dealer.

For new cars, the best way to shop is:
    1) Get qualified for a loan from a credit union at an interest rate you know. Toyota Financial Services is an excellent outfit to work with, but the only way to know you're paying the lowest rate is to pre-qualify. Car salesmen profit from the lazy.
    2) Shop for the car price over the Internet by emailing the fleet manager at every dealership within 300 miles. Take the lowest price to your closest dealer to match and if he doesn't, go with the guy with the best price. The sales and service departments are separate
    3) If you want extended warranty, do not buy it from the dealer with the car. There are dealers on PriusChat who can sell you the genuine Toyota warranty at a much lower price, without sales tax, any time before 3 years/36,000 miles

15. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I like "v" a whole lot in theory, but it is more expensive given your budget concerns.
    You can get a whale of a lot in a Prius with a roof rack and roof top box.
    I always have a minivan too but Prius with roof rack substituted quite well when my minivan was too old to trust for long trips.

16. SoCalBPrius

SoCalBPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Lot of good suggestions here, I'll confuse u some more, lol. If I were in your situation, I would buy the V wagon simply because of your family size & the extra cargo space which you'll definitely need. I know u have the larger vehicle for the weekends but trust me, you'll be looking to drive the prius more & more even on weekends & that extra room will be a huge difference IMHO. As for the mpg, yes you're not getting as much as the hatchback but compared to what you're used to & the reality that 40-45 mpg is still darn good, you'll be whisling dixie:D. In the end, it's your decision so weigh in what's most important to u & decide.

17. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    As I said, I'm happy with the roominess of the hatchback, especially since we have a minivan when needed.

I got 48 MPG actual on my 2010. Let's take that for 100,000 miles at $4/gallon: $8,333

Now let's drive that same 100,000 at 40 MPG: $10,000

So the 100k cost difference is $1,666. But the 100k fuel cost of a 20 MPG car: $20,000

18. mudmanrv

mudmanrv Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'm pre-approved already for 66 months at 2.49% ... from my credit union. I did have a chicago dealer e-quote me from tru-car.com and came in at 27165 for a v3 ... my local dealer hit me originally about 300 below sticker (msrp) ... a bargain discount how can i not resist....lol

I hit him with the e-quote and let it slide for a week. they had dealer traded one in the color i was looking for - which now has a 100 miles on it... i told him i may want to order to have near 0 miles since how far a drive a year my warranty will be up. it went another few days, and what do you know - i get an e-mail that the sales manager is wanting to deal on this dealer trade car.

it's now been a week since - that e-mail ... when i can get over there again we'll see what happens.

it's 20 minutes from my work - but in the opposite direction of my house ... so getting over there for a test drive or wheelin n dealing is kinda tough - been working through e-mail mostly. i have a feeling they won't make money on this car ... except for difference in cost and invoice. thats' my goal anyway.

19. mudmanrv

mudmanrv Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    you acheived your goal - still confused...lol. :D
    Maybe you can shed some light on the real world milage.
    i currently - drive 40-50 miles one way ... state road highway ... and typically run up to 60 hit the cruise and only kick it off when i come in town or up on someone slower... i'm trying to get an idea if i will get 36mpg or 46 mpg... or wherever in between... fuelly has good numbers, but they don't tell you average speed or driving conditions. i myself avg 45-46mph according to my car - because i only make one or two stops on the way for a stoplight or slow to 45 for a small town slow spot in the road...

if i'm only going to get 36-40 highway, then i would certainly want go to for the pri3 or 4 and get the 50mpg.

20. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Short answer: Yes, you'll get 48-52 MPG.

Long answer: It depends how you drive, particularly:
    1) Top Cruising Speed: 55 or 60 very good; 65-70 reduces mileage noticeably

2) Acceleration: Slowly and gradually accelerating, using the HSI, helps mileage tremendously. If you expect to stomp on the accelerator, you might not get 48-52 MPG.

3) Deceleration: Prius regenerative brakes use the transmission. Instead of engine braking, this force is transferred to the motors, which become generators. The more gradually you brake, the more energy you'll conserve. But if you just slam on the brakes, of course, you'll lose this mileage benefit.

It's just like riding a bicycle, really. When you bike, you know that sprinting wears you out, that stopping wasted energy, that gradually accelerating is a lot asker, that downhill is where you speed up to build energy and you go uphill slowly. Same with a car, energy is energy.