1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cannot figure out what is wrong....electrical issue...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by NickBaker9, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In the future, you might want to use lmgtfy.com

usnavystgc likes this.
  2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I prefer secure Google. No tracking no cookies.

Google

3. NickBaker9

NickBaker9 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    IV
    OK, sorry I haven't gotten back to you guys. So I installed the yellowtop and havn't had an issue yet. I actually drove to elarnaid's house (Bernie) and got it myself. Install wasn't hard at all, except the one bolt holding down the battery was WAAAAYYY tight. But after getting that off, install was a snap. Very happy with the whole process. The battery was stupid expensive, but hey, it works and no more issues...I hope. I'm in New Orleans till tomorrow and I'll have left the car not moving for 4 days when I get home. That will be the big test! Thanks for all your help and sorry I didn't listen to this sooner! Oh, and I got a $5 gift card from Autozone for letting them recycle the battery. Not too shabby.

Attached Files:

John Hatchett likes this.
  4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    To help reduce parasitic drain, esp. when you're away, I'd disable SKS via the button under the steering column. That's what I do when I'm going to be away for awhile.

Make sure you get the correct one, if you've got two. The other is the TPMS reset button.

5. CaptainKirkatv

CaptainKirkatv New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Newbie here. Been reviewing the posts on the 12v battery readings. Mine are similar to a post I saw on here, "I can't find it again after searching" however I do remember seeing Patrick Wong reply in that thread. Anyways the guy stated that he replaced his battery with a new ONE but I noticed his readings were exactly the same in his posts before and after replacement. So from his readings nothing changed after the new install.

These are my "supposedly NEW" battery readings 12.5v, Acc 11.8v, 14.1v running. Dash lights come on 50% of the time on 1st try.

I just got this car for my college student son. The dash lights do not come on regularly. I can eventually get them back after cycling thru power on/off , switch lights on/off key in key out ETC.
    Previous owner said he just spent 200 on new battery 6 months ago. The battery does look new but I'm getting a voltage drop below 12 in acc mode. The months, dates, years were not punched out on battery so I can't confirm age of battery in the car.
    Don't want to spend 200 on new battery and end up with no resolution to dash display issue.

Any advice ?

#65 CaptainKirkatv, Aug 16, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2018
  6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No dash lights is very common issue with a G2 prius.

use search forums button up top and search

combo meter

Combo meter is the dash board meter assy. It goes bad and starts going blank/dead. You can buy a repaired one on eBay for $100 and members repair it here. Youtubes on how to take dash apart.

And you have a bad 12 volt battery.

7. CaptainKirkatv

CaptainKirkatv New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I can get the dash lights to return by powering up and down and turning light on off and opening the drivers door. Sometimes it will restore dash on 1st try sometime after 6 or more trys. Earlier today the power off button wouldnt shut off the car, car was in part mode. Kept pressing power button after a few tries the ICE came back on, it then shut down normaly.

Battery appears to be borderline based on thread responses. But previous owner claimed to installed new battery 6 months ago. Again it looks new but I can't tell if it is or not