1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cannot find answer - 2 questions

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by mosezgo, Apr 10, 2011.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think he's being sarcastic.

Yes, please answer the questions. We can at least tell you to check this or that, don't do this or that or that your mileage is normal for your commute.

Fuzzy1 is absolutely correct. There is no promise that you will get EPA estimated mileage. Since your expectation seems completely based upon EPA estimates, please read http://priuschat.com/forums/other-c...uth-about-epa-city-highway-mpg-estimates.html and compare their procedure to your driving. Even the EPA says http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/why_differ.shtml.

FWIW, CR got Most fuel-efficient cars.

Since you mention late Feb, although you seem to have warmer weather now, you did have bouts of colder weather per History : Weather Underground and fairly low lower bound temps. Please see http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...ileage-in-mid-west-winters-2.html#post1216266 about why mileage drops in cold temps.

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The MID is ~7% optimistic. Inflate the tires, block the grill, & cut your speed. If I only got 50mpg I'd be pissed. I'm disappointed I haven't seen 60mpg.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Agreed about the above but re: blocking the grille, I'd only do it in colder weather.

If the OP is in Tulsa, OK, then I'd strongly advise against grille blocking given the weather conditions and forecasts I see at Tulsa Weather Forecast and Conditions and 10 Day Weather Forecast for Tulsa, OK (74103) - weather.com. It's currently 78 F and the projected high temps for the next 10 days are almost all above 70 F and in two cases, above 80 F.

4. mainerinexile

mainerinexile No longer in exile!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My Prius displayed mpg is pretty consistently 2mpg optimistic compared to calculated mpg.

5. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  6. krelborne

krelborne New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  7. Teakwood

Teakwood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    While I do recommend inflating the tires to 38/40 PSI and know that cold weather driving can reduce MPG by 5-10%, overall just drive the bloody thing.
    If you cannot deal with the subtleties of the Prius and are still unhappy in 6-8 months, then trade it for a different brand. No blame - just leave the aggravation behind.

8. TheSpoils

TheSpoils Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    II