1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cannot generate a 0 on speedometer at attempt to drive

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Tombukt2, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Had inverter apart unplugged moved to core support to change ABS pump assy after reassembly I have dash all lit up but cannot generate a 0 in display and car cannot move at all . So what keep me from. 0 in display.? I do not see anything undone . Car drove fine at dis assembly . Just had to use two feet on brake pedal to stop other than that . Car about perfect. Now car down Toyota cannot even shed light . Bout time to go full electric and keep my corolla 94 7AF 1.8. Cannot kill er . Like new 550K miles

bisco likes this.
  2. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Can you post a picture of what your dash is doing? Have you scanned all modules on the car for codes? How is the 12V battery doing?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

SFO likes this.
  3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Seems like I've read this a couple times over the last couple years. Seems to get resolved when an unconnected connector gets found under or behind the inverter.

PriusCamper and SFO like this.
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    man im looking all over the place. i had to Slam the Orange slide switch in several times this removed red triangle that i had after reassembly.im generally not one leaving things unplugged. all dash lights on cept red triangle. all ambers relate to Abs.. CHK ENG IS CAT CODE..it never changes .. wen car taken down it drove at 45 mpg daily required two feet to operate brakes.. ambers had been on a month. my 09 the brake ambers have been on 7 months all working perfectly. pedal modulates as required.. driven over 100 miles daily ..Wella

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    12v is strong very new agm..its on a maintainer whilst not driven just because. ive alot of powersports equip here . alot of maintainers here on property. full summer here im on bikes as much as possible.. so prius just sits on battery tender..

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe it's time to read the trouble codes

7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Only code is the cat below threshold . And two ABS codes under ABS not the reg codes. That’s all of em theses codes I’ve been driving with for 9 months at approx 46 mpg daily. Why I’ve not been to worried. Just the other week the brake pedal went solid as in no power 1956 4 wheel drum brakes hard two feet on pedal to stop . No abs noises at all . Everything else spot on driving great.. took apart diving vehicle to replace abs pump and accumulator and now cannot generate the 0.. all gs look connected .

8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I find it interesting now I have about five running generation twos everything on every car works immaculately except for one or two have the speedometer problem capacitors failing whatever it is I have a real problem believing that all of these displays that I have in this box about nine of them are all bad just because different Toyota Prius most of these are 08 and '09 were taken out of cars many which I disassembled and that the time they were disassembled the displays were working flawlessly generally hadn't shut off or acted up so far I was generally driving or owned the cars before they were dismantled this far I mean I find this really hard to believe but I'll bite. On my '09 that has been discussed on this forum for 3 years now I never had a code for the CM monitor in my life but the display in my gold 09 used to turn off and on almost daily this is at entrance of the car it never shuts off while driving. Well after playing around with that car for numerous months and months and months changing displays - tops you name it nothing just whenever I start the car at any random time foot on the break at the start button If I don't see the check engine light which is the first thing that should practically come on on the dash I immediately turned the power button off again this happens within Jesus the 10th of a second that's how fast I see this I'm looking at the check engine light while I'm pushing the button not looking at the button. Then when I turn it off because I don't see the check engine light and immediately reapply the brake and hit the power button the display lights up no issue this has been working like this for 3 years now now about once a month I'll get in the car push the power button won't see the check engine light and do the same process this has been like I say going on for about 3 years. I got another '08 loaded car with GPS when I bought that car I got it set up and drove it home with no display but yet on this car I have a tech code whatever it is for the CM monitor display lost communication It's in the system I've never seen that code in my life. So I take one of my other displays put it in this car it works for about a week The car is rarely used we're doing something with the battery We just figured we'd fix the display so when the battery straight we're ready to go after getting the battery all sorted out which was not much we just changed the hybrid battery and rebuilt the other one we took out now the display is gone off in this newer car when I move the ground wire by loosening it against the body frame and it makes the a little electrical snapping noise the door open light comes back on on the dash I see that because my hatch is up and I'm messing with the ground now I tighten the ground and now when that door open light works the CM monitor will light up the minute you push the power button this works for 24 hours 3 days who knows and then all of a sudden I'll come open the door my red key will flash but the door open light doesn't show I know that if the door open light is not on when I open the door CM monitor is not going to light. So I quickly moved the ground The wrench is laying right there next to the ground strap in the trunk spare tire well I just keep it there now till I sort this out boom it's on again this does not reset my mileage or my gas gauge. Like it does if you disconnect the whole battery for I don't know 20 seconds or whatever it is. So like I say it there's something going on there that doesn't make any sense and I am shocked that in 20 years somebody really hasn't figured this out I'm going to read the pinouts for this business a few posts up but I find this very hard to believe but then again that's just me.