1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cannot get into my Prius, smart key not working consistently

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Sugarbear69, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Sugarbear69

Sugarbear69 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A little over a year ago I was T-boned. Replaced driver side doors (both) from salvage yard. SKS worked until yesterday. Got into my unlocked car for errands and it would not start without inserting fob into dash. At first stop, could not lock car. Second leg Fob again would not start car without being inserted into dash, again could not lock car at second destination. Got in to go home (brain on autopilot, thinking of plumbing problems) and car STARTED with Fob in my pocket. When I got home I realized where the key was, and with a few seconds of contemplation decided to see if I could lock the doors too. Should have spent a few seconds more and thought to roll window down too.
    1. I am now locked out of my car, and of course, the actual key doesn't work in the ONLY keyhole in the car. Tried my wife's Fob, no luck. HELP!?! IDEAS?
    2. Going forward, any advice on how difficult it is to change locks on the door (I still have the windowless, stoved in original)?
    BTW - Always worried what would happen in an accident, and my Prius impressed me! Pick-up truck lifted my left side off the ground when he hit me, yet the door still worked even though the window shattered on impact.
    3. Any advice on how I can check SRS since it did not deploy?

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Spray the lock and key with graphite and use pliers on the key

Check the fob battery, but it may be the 12v.
    Once your in, put a jump pack or smart charger on the jump point under the hood