1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cannot open the trunk after jump starting

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Pinkbeetle, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Pinkbeetle

Pinkbeetle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I bought a 2008 Prius yesterday, this is my first hybrid experience. Today I parked the car as I was waiting for a friend, I thought the engine was working but turns out I switched it off. Long story short, the battery died, I called a friend who has a jump starter and we were able to start the car. The problem is the trunk won't open anymore. To jump-start the car we had to open the rear door and get to the battery from there.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Replace the 12V battery, as the hatch release depends upon power from the battery.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if the trunk won't open with the car running, the battery probably isn't charged up enough to activate the mechanism.
    you either need to replace the 12v, or try charging yours and see if it holds.

4. bat4255

bat4255 2017 Prius v #2 and 2008 Gen II #2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Did you try jumping from under the hood?

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Pink read the owners manual there’s a few things in there you need to know.

#1 is all battery jump starting should be done from the front battery jump points under the hood. It’s there so you don’t need to dig into the back hatch to get to the battery. Super hassle and real easy to incorrectly
    Hook up the jump cables. You reverse polarity jump start a Prius your looking at very big $$$$$.

#2. Stop jump starting your Prius.

If you bought the car from a dealer you need to replace the 12 volt battery ASAP because it’s a used car that sat on the lot for a while the 12 volt battery probably has gone dead many times and they just jump start the battery and give the car to you. Based on how many posts I have seen on this over the years describing your exact scenario.

Seen so many totaled Prius over the years with incorrect jump start. It’s unlike any car.

05PreeUs and Kal Of The Rathi like this.
  6. Pinkbeetle

Pinkbeetle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm taking the car to the shop to figure it out, will come back with an update later today.

7. Phildo

Phildo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    If the hatch release button doesn't work then cycle the locks (ie press the central locking button on the driver's door trim).

The hatch release button should then work.

It's an odd Prius quirk that I've come across.

05PreeUs likes this.
  8. Pinkbeetle

Pinkbeetle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The problem has been solved, took the car to the shop, they hooked it up to the computer with an OBD scanner and reset it, managed to open the trunk, thanks for the help everyone