1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cannot program a new fob for 2007 Prius because four have been programmed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Rongkun Zheng, Dec 6, 2021.

1. Rongkun Zheng

Rongkun Zheng New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Recently bought a new fob. I successfully programmed the it for start/stop, but failed in programming the lock/unlock door (car did not respond at all when I pressed and held lock+unlock buttons). I checked and found that four fobs have been programmed. It there a way to add a new fob without going to dealers? thanks a lot in advance!

2. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Techstream
    Do you have access to it?

3. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This will give you some guidance on techstream and key fobs even though it’s not Gen 2

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The maximum of fobs in a Gen 2 five, so too many fobs might not be the problem.

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You have to wipe and re-seed the FOBS that you still have. An electronic locksmith can do this... There's also a service in Europe that for ~$30-ish will do some math based on your VIn# and give you a code to authorize Toyota Techstream software to do that wipe and reseed.

6. Rongkun Zheng

Rongkun Zheng New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Thanks!

7. Rongkun Zheng

Rongkun Zheng New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Just got techstream, waiting for mini VCI arriving.
    Thanks

8. Rongkun Zheng

Rongkun Zheng New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Very helpful! Thanks!
    In the chicken dance, there are different options in entering programming mode, as below:
    Enter Programming Mode – Step 4
    PRESS POWER button to switch ignition ON (amber LED illuminated) and OFF (do NOT depress the brake pedal during procedure).
    – Do this ONCE to retain existing remotes programmed and ADD NEW remote..
    – Do this TWICE to ERASE all existing remotes programmed and ADD NEW remote.
    – Do this THREE times to CHECK how many remotes are programmed to the vehicle.
    – Do this FIVE times to ERASE all existing remotes programmed.

My question is: "do this five times" will remove the all existing remotes and enable me to add new fobs? Thanks in advance.

9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can do all those functions in Techstream, so I'd just wait until you get your J2534 cable as it will be more clear and have onscreen explanations to explain what the differences are.

Having said that, unless you have no key fobs (fob is not an acronym, so is not capitalized like some like to do) at all, I would not use option five. If you do that you will need a reseed code. If you have an existing fully functional key fob you can use option 2 (to ERASE all existing remotes programmed and ADD NEW remote). Note, this will not erase the existing good fob you used to initiate the procedure. Therefore it is more correctly to ERASE all existing remotes programmed, except this one, and ADD NEW remote. I believe you can terminate the procedure before entering the 'ADD new one' steps to just 'ERASE all existing remotes programmed, except this one.'

Take all that with a grain of salt as I have not, touch wood, had to deal with adding or erasing keys myself.