1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cannot remove oil filter

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by car78412, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd assume that was the first time you removed it? (n)

David Scott Dallas likes this.
  2. David Scott Dallas

David Scott Dallas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I took mine off the first time with a breaker bar and the removal cap I used actually twisted from so much pressure. I couldn't believe it was on so tight. After that it wouldn't bite on the cap anymore. I stuck a piece of printer paper over the filter cap and tapped the removal cap back on and it finally came off. Now I still use the bent cap with no paper because my cap isn't put on by an idiot. That thing ain't coming off by itself.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. b100

b100 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. jas8908

jas8908 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Five
    Yes I didn't put it on that tight. :)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ARGGGHHH! LoL

Correct, brand new socket, 6 lbs sledge and no joy.

No joy I tell ya. No joy!

6. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I had to completely replace the oil filter assembly.

Danny3xd likes this.
  7. Boffin

Boffin Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've done my own oil changes for the past 3 years. I bought a filter wrench, much like this one:

https://www.autozone.com/shop-and-garage-tools/oil-filter-wrench/oem-oil-filter-cap-wrench-for-most-toyota/978119_0_0?cmpid=PS:3:3:1&s_kwcid=AL!5142!3!224942315674!!!g!294682000766!&ef_id=WhI0WAAAAMkFJBpF:20171121221031:s

While the oil change flap fell of the bottom of my car (2010 Prius. I replaced it with a sheet of heavy plastic), I've not had a problem removing the oil filter, as I don't torque it past 18 ft-lbs. The first time I did it, however, I needed to get out my 1/2" breaker bar to get enough leverage to start it turning. You don't want to use an air wrench on this!

An advantage to doing it yourself is that you *know* that the proper synthetic oil is being used. Decades ago, an ex Toyota mechanic told me his stealership used straight 30w oil, as it was the cheapest out there.

After you've done it a couple of times, you'll actually spend less time doing it yourself, as opposed to driving somewhere, waiting for the oil change, and driving back. Not to mention the money saved.

Danny3xd, Raytheeagle, scona and 2 others like this.
  8. HomeyClown

HomeyClown Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Worked like a champ, as usual pliers.JPG

9. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I sprayed with liquid wrench and whacked the sheet.. well, one half hearted blow and it turned!

Great joy in dannyland!

Like any stuck bolt or fastener. Heat or lube is key. Or when in doubt, a BFH. LoL.
    (Big or bigger hammer)

Plan was to let liquid wrench to work, set over night but got lucky and it popped with sledge strike.

Really enjoy and make great use of advice found here on PC.

Thanks one and all!

10. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Man, bummer Rebound! The cap or whole housing?

11. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I replaced the entire housing. It cost me about $100 or $120. Now my Prius takes metal, screw-in oil filters.

SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  12. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Haven’t seen you around these parts recently :whistle:.

Probably been takin the new Beamer out anf about(y).

13. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The Beemer’s been getting plenty of attention while the Prius has been loaned to a few friends who needed a car temporarily. I’m dating a very nice woman who’s father recently passed, leaving her his 2007 Mini Cooper. They aren’t built like Toyota’s. She told me that her cooling fan was running too loudly. I researched this and learned that there’s a resistor package attached to the engine cooling fan which controls its speed. When it fails, the low speed signal is ignored and the fan doesn’t come on. After a while, the engine will get even hotter, and the fan starts on high speed. So this isn’t good; it means the engine will get too hot too often.

So I loaned her the Prius and fixed it, which involved removing the bumper cover, all lights, bumper, and wheel liners, then the radiator. It looked like this:
    IMG_9080.JPG

I also replaced her spark plugs, replaced a cracked air intake hose and a very filthy, clogged air filter. The engine ran MUCH better after all that. It still needs work; these cars aren’t built nearly as well as Toyota’s. My next project is to replace her engine mounts. I have a pretty big list after that. Luckily, there’s an owner’s forum called NorthAmericanMotoring which has a pretty good community. I still think PriusChat is the best (and the BMW owners forums are the worst!).

14. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Looks like a fun project:eek:.

Since having purchased the RX450h back in July, I signed up over at Club Lexus. But it’s a bit dry over there:cool:.

This is a great online community (y).

15. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    PriusChat is The Best!
    I like watching the Gen III Forums mature from the, “The cupholder doesn’t hold my mug perfectly” messages into hardcore support of these up-to 8 year-old cars, like the Gen II forums. In a few years this board will be about engine and battery pack rebuilds.

The Gen III seemed so complicated when I first bought it, but it doesn’t frighten me at all now.

xerox6135, mjoo, Grit and 2 others like this.
  16. Danny3xd ()

Danny3xd () Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Forgot it was plastic. Ayup, torch LoL. Did come off though. But cap wrench thing is still on it a month later. (wish I were kidding)

But I know for a fact it was not over tightened. Only comes off easily cold. Warm the oil by running engine and it gets crazy tight.

I have been bad mouthing all those techs and turns out they were not at fault.

This time, I actually put a floor jack to push up on 1/2 ratchet. There was so much force used it started lifting the engine. Re-reading this thread, I realized it is when it's cooler, and I warm the oil. That is when this happens.

17. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    A friend of mine borrowed the tool to take the filter off his Toyota pick-up and the tool broke. He bought a new filter cap and tool and broke the old cap off. He gave the new tool to me, but I wound up giving it back to him, since I didn't need it anymore.

18. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The 35% glass fiber filled nylon 6-6 absorbs water and voc's with age which expands and grows in size with age and subsequent oil changes,

I started a thread entitled, "The overtight oil filter cartridge cap......It's not the dealer's fault." which explains the problem.

Toyota recognized the issue and is slowly abandoning the cartridge filter cap. It is apparent that they are exhausting the current inventory and installing the "spin on" adapter when they are used up.

19. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It proves clearly that people buy cars on image and personal gut feeling, rather than substance and practicality.

The original Mini designed by Alec Issigonis was a bare bones econo-box, NOT the glorified overcomplicated BMW with a pseudo Mini skin.

20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A lot of unequivocal statements in the above, not a single maybe?

If it is, I think the problem area would be in particular the diameter at the O-ring groove: if it's increased the O-ring would need to compress more, fight you all the way in or out. How about: get a new cap, say every 5 years?

Ouch, not cheap:

Filter Cover - Toyota (15620-37010) | Toyota Parts

$33.62 in the States, probably $50 CDN up here. I've emailed our local parts department, will see what they say. I was just in there getting the filter, for an upcoming oil change, oh well, they're not far. Pending oil change will be in the next couple of weeks at most.

If I do this, I'll do a careful caliper measurement of the the inside of the O-ring groove (if it's possible), on both the old and new cap. I think I'd put my money on no difference.

For what it's worth, with the last oil change I did, I found the O-ring down at the end of the cap, jumped out of the groove. Luckily no oil loss. I'm assuming it jumped out of the groove, unless I was sleep walking through the previous oil change, missed putting it in the groove, but I really doubt that.

#60 Mendel Leisk, Sep 30, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2018