1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cannot see current mpg on navigation screen and odometer

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by franken1313, Jan 25, 2017.

1. franken1313

franken1313 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Gen 2 prius. Cannot see current mpg on navigation screen in the battery / engine screen page. Im also not able to see my odometer. It is completely blank. I know to disconnect the 12v and to reconnect to get the odometer back on but I've already switched batteries 3 times in the last few months and when I check the voltage on the battery the battery is above 12v . 12.5ish to 12.8ish. When the car is off the batteries is displaying 0.02volts . Please help.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Can you see the speedometer, gear selector position, etc?

Where are you reading the battery voltage when the car is off?

3. franken1313

franken1313 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No I cannot see any info. Its completely black. Sometimes I can see the check engine light but that's it. I am reading the voltage with a separate voltage meter I had laying around.

4. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It sounds like the combination meter (CM) has failed. That's fairly common, and Toyota issued a nine-year warranty extension that has expired for your car. Some eBay vendors will repair the meter for about $100, but you need to do the removal--a few hours the first time, 45 minutes the second time. Basic small hand tools, and you need to remove the PS air bag so be safe.

The car can still be driven, but mileage won't be logged, and no fuel gauge. You might have to hold the button down for several seconds to get it to turn off. Use a nav device for speed. And I think the rear hatch won't open.

The failure is usually intermittent and usually on cold days. It may come back for a while at times.

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Although, this thread's topic is slightly different to your Prius' problem, take a look at it anyway:

Combination Meters that stop at 299,999 miles, Who's affected and what you can do about it.

Your model year is one that is affected by the 299,999 mile limitation, so you may want to consider retrofitting a 2006-2009 combination meter (CM) to your car, with which Matt can help. (You also need to change the light cluster for one Matt has modified to make this work).

In any case, Matt at Texas Hybrids can repair your current CM. His price is competitive and I would trust him over a random eBay seller (even though Matt advertises there too, I think lol). You don't say where in the US you are, but I'd send my CM there from any state. YMMV.

Hope that helps.

#5 dolj, Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  6. franken1313

franken1313 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I noticed when its hot out the odometer will come back on and if I disconnect the 12v. Also the reverse lights won't light if the CM is out and I also have no cruise control.

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    These are all symptoms of a failed CM. The only options available to you, if you want it fixed, is to have Toyota replace it for $1xxx or remove it yourself and send it to be repaired at a place like Texas Hybrids for around $150.

8. franken1313

franken1313 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What if I have air in the coolant? Could that be the issue???

9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    it is an issue, but not the issue. I don't believe they are related, but that issue needs to be addressed as well.