1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cannot use power outlets, PLEASE HELP!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ejprez, May 6, 2012.

1. ejprez

ejprez New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have a 2005 prius with 71,000 miles, DVD nav and etc. Just 2 days ago the 120v cigarette outlet stopped working, then tried the one in the center counsel and it worked for like a second. Now both don't work.

Did research and heard it could be fuses. Replaces both 15A fuses that are under the driver side dash/steering wheel section. Still outlets will not work. Tried replacing the 25a fuse that I saw works in conjunction with both 15a and still nothing. I then read in some toyotas, and other cars that the outlet itself can be shorted out.

So question, is there some other fuse I'm missing, or something else to check. I tried pushing the connectors on the front passenger outlet to see if they were loose and still won't work. Do I need to replace the outlet itself. Can I just get a new one and unplug the old and plug a new one in. Looks like it comes right out? Please I need at least one outlet to work and am short on cash to have the dealer do it.

Thanks

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    You posted this 3 times across 3 forums. I deleted the other 2 and left this one.

Please do not post the same post all over the place, thanks.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Most likely you replaced the wrong fuses.

Tom

4. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    A similar thing happened to me. Turns out my phone charger was shorting out the outlets. Might want to check that too.

5. AZGeek

AZGeek Semi-informed Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Were the fuses that you replaced blown? Both outlets are controlled by the fuse box under the driver side dash. I had the center dash outlet that stopped working because of a faulty iPod FM transmitter / charger. I got a little confused reading the fuse map on the cover because how I held it away from the fuse box (reversed the locations). Once I figured out how to hold it in the proper orientation I was able to go to the right fuse location. If the fuses you replaced weren't blown then you may have replaced the wrong ones.

6. ejprez

ejprez New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My phone charger amperage is no more than 5 I believe and worked for a year or more since I started using it. I'm pretty sure I replaced the right fuses, both 15a under the dash according to the layout on the fuse box cover. Either I missed one or from what I heard, both outlets burned out and need replacing. If not there probably is something else I'm missing. I guess I'll try replacin one of the outlets next.

7. ejprez

ejprez New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well egg on my face, sort of. The charger is crap and didn't work to well, if I pushed the cable to the side it would stay on. So tried a brand new one and that didn't work, grabbed an old one by chance and works perfect, but only in the center console outlet, the passenger dash one still does not work. I'll have to get a meter to see if power is going to it or if there is power going to the fuse.