1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Canoe on my prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kolski, Apr 23, 2018.

1. kolski

kolski Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hey everyone,

I just installed my thule roof rack on my 2008 prius and I'm set to pick up an 18' canoe on Wednesday.
    I'm a little nervous, but this roof rack is really friggen sturdy. The thing that I'm most concerned with is being able to secure properly with tie-downs... does anyone have suggestions as to where I should tie-down the canoe?

Thanks in Advance!

2. tada

tada Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Does the roof rack have tie down points? You could take some ratcheting straps with hooks and attach the canoe to the rack. Just my opinion, but I would not tie it to the vehicle. Isn’t that the point of the rack?

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Lug.JPG
    18-footer? Well mine is 17-ft.
    On a Gen2 you will find some lugs you can use as tie down spots, if I recall all four corners have one.
    That's what I used, but also there are some tie down hardware on Amazon that fit in the hood and other places.

These days I mostly use a 10-ft kayak, and I mostly stuff it in my minivan, but I got the idea from a guy here who stuff's the same kayak in his Prius, but he had to tie down the hatch as it would not quite totally fit in.