1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

can't always creep around on battery-why?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sportcoupe, Aug 31, 2013.

1. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Program your brain to use regen as little as possible and look for skillful ways to beat the traffic pattern and keep in glide instead of regen.

Going down steep slopes in regen inevitably hyper charges the Hybrid Pack (7 bars green) and should be avoided.

I would use regen down that slope until I see the first green bar than slap it into B mode which is what B mode was designed for. More engine braking and less regen to prevent the very issue I am explaining here.

2. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So you spend 10 cents for gas, but then say that you really only spent 9? You can speed up and slow down as many times as you want and the result will be the same. As I noted, this applies to driving in traffic and not to some misguided attempt to charge the battery. That would be a losing proposition. I am not sure what your mileages are, but I get substantially better mileage in town (60+mpg). Unfortunately, both physics and the real world do not agree with your thinking.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is the Gen II forum about a Gen II car and your driving a Gen III which does better than a Gen II in town.

If you read my post I was quite clear trying to use your formula which states use of 10 cents and gain of 1 cent in regen. That's 9 cents right or is it I can't add either?

Misguided attempt to charge the battery? What? I don't understand anything your saying so I'll leave it here.

4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hmmm. Ed says the Gen III does better than the Gen II on mileage. drysider is quoting 60+ for his Gen III

What I don't understand is why anyone who is serious about hypermiling can't do better. So, I decided I would play around with our Prius just to see what I could do. With some serious hypermiling I was able to achieve over 70 MPG over a distance of 180 miles. I am not saying that I get this kind of mileage ALL of the time. What I am saying is that the Prius is capable of delivering this sort of mileage if one works at it. IIRC, the record holder who is in Japan gets over 100 MPG with his.

9.1.2013.JPG

Want more proof? Tony Schaefer here on Prius Chat holds the #15 spot of Top MPG on this forum. His is a Gen II also.

Top 20 - MPG Record Holders | PriusChat

5. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Once more: you add the cent not subtract it....and, unfortunately, you don't understand.

6. sportcoupe

sportcoupe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Guys I got it already. haha