1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can't bleed brakes or get into invalid mode

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by WLE, Jul 23, 2021.

1. WLE

WLE New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've searched on here and cant really find a similar situation on the gen 3.

So, I threw all the typical abs lights.
    back story.. had the lights for a while, the ABS pressure would turn on like every 4 seconds and then one day it just started beeping consistently and wouldnt stop. Also, I lost my brakes basically. I mean they would work but would take forever to stop. Obviously only my front two would work.
    I got a replacement brake actuator and installed it. No issues there...however then I needed to bleed the brakes and clear the codes.
    I have not heard my ABS pump turn on at all to build any pressure. Since the replacement the consistent beeping has gone away though.

I've now ordered 2 different MVCI cables and a VxDIAG nano for TIS. I am unable to get any of them to begin the brake bleeding process. It keeps saying that its lost connection. I've ran TIS v9-15 and all have the same issue. I've tried v9-15 on both of the MVCI chords as well as the VxDIAG. None of them will get me into the brake bleed successfully. I can get to the part where it asks if its a basic brake bleed or after replacing a part ...but it never gets any further than that. Also, when I try to erase the DTC for the ABS, it will not erase any. Not sure if its the TIS, chord or if I'm missing something in the process. Also, when I try to put it into invalid mode...nothing happens. No blinking light. I've tried both using TIS and the little brake/park/neutral dance. Nothing. I'm literally at a loss.
    I should note that all versions were the 'hacked' ones. I'm at the point where I just want to pay TIS the $65 2-day access to the TIS Professional. However, if it's my chord...I'd hate to waste $65 because it would take longer than that to order/try another chord.

Also, I bought a Innova 5160 RS ...it says it will do brake bleeding but when i tried it says it couldnt complete it. Taking that back in a day or two.

Codes:
    C1203
    C1252
    C1253
    C1256
    C1345
    C1451

ANY help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had similar problems until a friend installed the windhorse driver in my win7 computer... My point being that I suspect the problem you're experiencing is with the computer you're using, not techstream or the device it communicates with.

3. WLE

WLE New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don’t think it’s the computer. I’m using virtualbox and have 3 VMs set up one with win 7 32bit, one with win xp and the other with windows 10. Same issue across the board.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You might try the Techstream cable-test function. You could try it with each of the dongles you have on hand ... if there are differences in the results, you could at least gravitate to the one that checks out best.

Also, I know you're eager to get to the brake bleed, but have you just explored a bunch of the other features (health check, data lists for different ECUs, active tests, etc.) provided in Techstream? It might sound like a distraction, but could reveal a pattern of stuff that will and won't work.

I had a dongle, for example, that worked well for retrieving codes, could retrieve the Data List from other ECUs but never from "Engine and ECT", and also could only complete a brake bleed about one time in five.

5. WLE

WLE New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I will double check those. Thank you.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There’s a non-Techstream method described in Repair Manual. One gotcha when doing the chicken dance, parking brake MUST be on. Also, to shift from Park to Neutral, you need to push brake pedal.

also, with non-Techstream method, it might not do full flush of actuator? @ChapmanF has noted this in past.

both Techstream and chicken dance methods attached:

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Right, there's a non-Techstream procedure given in the manual for brake fluid replacement, if that's all you want to do, shown in Mendel's attachments. Fluid replacement, if done right, does not introduce any air and therefore does not require bleeding any air.

If there is a non-Techstream procedure for brake bleeding, I have never found it.

8. WLE

WLE New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, as stated, I’ve tried that with no success. It will not get the ((I)) to blink.

9. WLE

WLE New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Everyone, please read my full post prior to responding. I think most of you just read the title and throw two cents.I appreciate all help but when you’re suggesting that I do what I’ve already stated, it’s just a waste of time in both ends. Thank you.