1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can't decide between a C or a regular Prius

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by nudriver, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Nall

Nall New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Well that's just a matter of opinion for sure. I felt the bridge/console design of the Liftback was really unpleasant. I am not a fan of console space dividing the front seats at all, I think it makes the cabin feel very constrained.

They are both pretty tight for real visibility, this is true, but I felt the split rear window was much harder to see clearly out of. I used to drive a Yaris, and found the priusC no different than it, really. That, plus the C's bumper is so close to the rear window that backing up is pretty easy, by contrast I could never figure out the spacing on the Liftback.

It does have more space, but that wasn't my "sit-test" result. In the C, I can sit in the back seat and relax comfortably. In the Liftback, I had to hunch forward. If I leaned backwards (against the headrest) I would run right into the sloping roof, preventing me from sitting comfortably in the seat without slouching. The shoulder room felt more spacious in the rear seat on the Liftback though, and I mentioned the legroom was more on the Liftback as well. The space advantage in the driver's seat was nonexistant for me, because of the big center console.

I saw this in the comparisons but I don't know how they are measuring. With the seats down for total volume, perhaps? The hatch on the liftback was much smaller in some ways than the C, and wasn't as tall, which was what I was looking for. It also has that little pull down privacy shade which I am not a fan of at all. When it came to loading up both cars during our tests, the C definitely took to our stuff a lot better than the Liftback. It must just be the different designs of the cargo spaces.

Yeah I mentioned the Liftback has more power than the C, which was something I liked about it. It's added weight removes much of that advantage, though it's still got more power all told. I mean, it's definitely a larger car.

They were very close all things considered, I'm not trying to bash the Liftback or anything, I just don't think it matched up to the C in the areas that really appeal to me. The C is certainly not perfect either.

2. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    It's funny how this is turning into a fight between the liftback and the c. They're both fine cars, it's all opinion, and what will work better for each individual. Yeah, the liftback has more room, but that doesn't necessarily mean the liftback is "better," if that's not a concern to the individual buying it. To me the smallness of the c is a big part of what makes it better (for me). I find rear visibility to be just fine in the c (w/o the headrests), while others clearly think the liftback is better, despite the split window. Whatever floats your boat...different strokes for different folks...additional cliche...etc etc.

xs650 likes this.
  3. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's the way it should be, but insecure people need their choices validated by others.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    LOL re: a "fight".

I agree w/your very last statement. OP needs to decide for themselves which better fits their budget, needs, desires, etc.

5. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Haha yeah, "fight" may have been a strong word, but you catch my drift.

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This sort of thing happens regardless of the model or brand of the vehicle. Everyone wants to champion what they purchased because it helps bolster the idea that they chose correctly. You see it with cars, stereo equipment, cell phones, etc..

In other words, you should buy. Liftback Three with solar because it is what all the cool kids are doing. :)

7. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would agree with those who say tallness could be an issue. I am 6'2" and my wife and I vetoed a Yaris because it really isn't big enough for me in the driver's seat. I haven't been in the Prius C, but I would say this--find the comfortable driving position (if it exists at all) for the tallest driver of the car. Then put the older child in behind the driver. Is the kid going to be comfortable. Then find a kid who is about as big as your older kid might be in 5 to 7 years (if you plan to keep the car that long), and see if that kid is comfortable, and is likely to stay that way if confined for the length of a long ride.

8. Dorian7

Dorian7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's some good advice. The other thing is that if you get a car for ~$2,000 under sticker price you aren't going to burned as bad when it comes to selling it/trading it in opposed to paying sticker price.

9. Dorian7

Dorian7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have the final test that should make the decision easier... I am going to rent both the regular prius and C for a day! That way I get to drive them both in every condition! My dealer suggested the idea and said that as long as I end up getting a car from them 100% of the cost will go towards the purchase price.

10. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Great, keep us in the loop.

My guess, Prius c will give you higher MPG. The liftback will give you more comfort.

11. PriusCinBlack

PriusCinBlack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If you're truly stuck, consider that the liftback is at least $3K (probably more) costlier than the c. That seems to me to be quite a difference between the two.

12. purplewithenvy

purplewithenvy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    As long as you can fit your family in the C, I think that's the one you should get. It seems like you were most concerned about space, so if you can fit everyone, I think the C is for you! :) good luck!

13. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
  14. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    OP made that thread ;)

15. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Seems like this has been discussed enough then! :whistle:

16. Dorian7

Dorian7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So after doing all day tests with the prius and prius C I decided on the Prius. Here is why:

The prius offers more room, more standard features and is much more comfortable.

I will say that the C is a lot easier to drive in the city, easier to achieve good MPG and is more connected to the road.

The biggest factor for me was that the C just doesn't have the power at higher speeds that the Prius does. I'm not saying the Prius has a lot of power but it can pass people on highways if need be. Going about 60mph or more you would need a WIDE OPEN road to pass someone in the C. It's not necessarily a bad thing, it just depends where you want to drive.

Also you can't realistically put more than two people in the C for a road trip.

Where I am at the price difference is not significant enough to warrant not getting the regular prius

Prius C 2 - $21,100
    Prius III Two - $22,700

For only $1600 it is well worth it in my opinion.

I would be more than happy to elaborate if anyone wants.

17. purplewithenvy

purplewithenvy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Congratulations on reaching your decision!

18. BGGirl

BGGirl Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the information!

19. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Interesting re: the Prius c 2 price.

On toyota.com, that model should have an MSRP of $20,660 including destination charge. I'd imagine there might be some "forced" "standard" accessories like floor mats, cargo mat and cargo net. Is that where some of the difference is? Was there also some markup or advertising fee?

20. Dorian7

Dorian7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think it is
    $20,660
    + $130 Floor Mats
    + $100 Door Edge Guards

so $20,990