1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can't disconnect charger

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Coyotefred, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Coyotefred

Coyotefred Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    'Tried to unplug my charger today, a Panasonic NN2R3H bought as a replacement for my original charger that malfunctioned:

SPECIAL! High-power upgraded Panasonic EVSE (open box) [RN2R3H] - $649.00 : EVSE Upgrade, Low-Cost EV Charging Solutions

The charger is locked onto the receptacle and I can't remove it and at this point I'm concerned about forcing and breaking something. The thumb button depresses somewhat but feels as if it isn't properly releasing. From gently moving the charger around a bit it feels as if it is locked onto something near the top of the receptacle rather than the bottom or sides.

Any ideas/suggestions on how to remove this thing?

Thanks for your help,

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sometimes the o ring dislodges and gets caught. look closely with a light to make sure the thumb latch is released. if not, try prying under it. if it is, you probably just have to pull harder. if the o ring has dislodged, remove and discard.

3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Danny (Master of the PriusChattiverse) had a similar problem on his PIP recently, and I'm sure if you use the amazing "search" function, you might learn the answer to what must have been a singularly embarassing problem! (something about a metal clip thingy (from what I remember)) - Good luck! :rolleyes:

Stop Press!!!
    Charging cable stuck in PIP - Any ideas? | PriusChat

bisco likes this.
  4. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    It will require a little digging up in order to dislodge the EVSE wand, hopefully not.

5. Coyotefred

Coyotefred Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well...good news is that I got the charger removed. Like the victim of the other thread, I had to remove the 4 10mm bolts holding the charger receptacle plate in place to be able to get a screwdriver in there to free the plastic 'catch' on the charger from the metal 'plate'/holder on the receptacle.

Bad news is that unlike the other victim, the problem isn't my metal 'plate' having worked it's way out of position, but something wrong with the thumb/latch mechanism of my charger. Basically the depressing the thumb button doesn't 'raise' the plastic 'catch' enough to clear the metal plate/holder. Even worse, I thought I could solve that problem by carefully wedging a small piece of plastic in under the 'catch' arm in the charger body such that the 'catch' wouldn't 'catch' at all...I could live with that. The charger inserted and removed easily as you'd imagine, but no orange charging light near the receptacle, and no 'charging' indicator light on the charger block...it is simply showing 'ready' as if nothing has been plugged in. So I'm guessing there's something inside the charger handle as a safety feature or ? that is signaling the control unit to not allow a charge to begin? It's not exactly clear how one takes apart the charger handle unit to investigate either...

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you're right, it's a safety switch. if you press it while charging, the light shuts off.

maybe peer can fix it if you don't have any luck. do you still have your oem?

the ad says 2 year warranty.

7. Coyotefred

Coyotefred Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Unfortunately this was a replacement for the OEM charger which 'burned out' a few months after getting the EVSE upgrade...which may or may not have anything to do with it.

'Not a happy camper about this. Love the PiP, but in my experience these chargers aren't ready for prime time--at least for folks with driving habits and in an environment like mine...

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i haven't had any problem with my oem or aftermarket L2. what are your driving habits and environment like?

did you send the oem back for repair?

9. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    The thumb button actives a J1772 standard by default called " Proximity Switch" circuit.