1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can't disconnect electrical connector during inverter replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by AMTilts, Dec 11, 2022.

1. AMTilts

AMTilts New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have 07 Prius that died recently with the error code P0A94 sub code 555. After troubleshooting, it was determined converter inverter assembly needed to be replaced, so I bought a used one off eBay. The part has come in, so I attempted to do the swap today, however, I'm stuck, because there are 2 connectors, one gray, one black, that I can't for the life of me get off. I probably spent 2 1/2 hours just trying to get them off. Meanwhile, I've drained the inverter coolant and disconnected everything else, but it's these two connectors that I can't disconnect that are preventing me from taking it out. I almost decided to cut them, but eventually came to my senses.

Does anyone have any tips for disconnecting plastic electrical connectors that don't want to disconnect? Im not really a car guy, but I swear, it seems like everytime I go to work on my car, half the time is spent trying to get off one of two connectors that have stuck. It's very frustrating.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Typically you need to press a tab somewhere (usually has rib pattern) and that’s “supposed” to lever up and release a jaw at the other end. And yeah, in practice some of them are nigh impossible, especially with a few years untouched.

Try gentle prying directly at the jaw mechanism, and/or at the base of the connection, with pick tool, screwdriver blade, knife tip, what have you.

With the ones you’ve pictured maybe prying at the base with a tool while really pressing hard on the ribbed tab? And when super-human effort is getting nowhere: back off and rethink it.

Sometimes there’s a “trick”, hopefully. On our 3rd gen the 12 volt connection to AC compressor confounded me, till I found a pry point very close to the base. And it seems nothing but a very thin knife blade would fit.

#2 Mendel Leisk, Dec 11, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2022
    AMTilts likes this.
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Some of these may lock like the yellow airbag plugs you have to pull a tab up and then you can squeeze and pull apart until that tab pulls up or whatever you'll never get it apart there should be a video online showing somebody taking several of these apart and several different colors there are only about three different styles of how they unlock unclip and pull apart once you do it once you'll be able to do all of the Toyotas and most of them you see once you see it come apart that's why I'm saying look for a video there is one somewhere I don't have one I have been there at the point you were at about to cut it a few years ago I didn't I went to the junkyard and nearly destroyed a plug just to see because I couldn't find a video in the early days of the internet and once I just was on the yellow airbag plugs they're all over the car and once I saw beat one to death and pulled it apart and got it apart and saw how it worked no problem I just didn't want to destroy mine

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't have one of these, but there have definitely been times I would have cussed less if I'd had one.

[​IMG]

AMTilts and Tombukt2 like this.
  5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have those for the washer spring for the appliance I hadn't seen them for this type of plug I'll have to look into that that would be very handy and imagine they're not very expensive

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Search for "disconnect pliers" gets good results.

7. AMTilts

AMTilts New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks for the suggestions. I was finally able to get them off, using Mendel's advice of prying at the base while pressing really hard on the tab. I used a bent pick to pry, and pressed the tab with a pair of wire strippers that were shaped somewhat similar to the tool ChapmanF posted. I still ended up having to press VERY hard on the wire strippers to get it to unlatch. Took about another 1 1/2 hours on Sunday just to disconnect it and the other one that was giving me trouble.

I successfully swapped out the inverter, plugged everything back in, and boom, it started right up though, just like it had prior to it dying completely. It had been sitting for about a month while I troubleshooted the issue and found an inverter at a reasonable price.

My theory as to how it broke down is that, my inverter pump stopped working at some point, and it ended up overheating the inverter due to more than typical driving on the day it broke down. I did end up replacing the pump prior to going out and getting an inverter, hoping it would fix the issue, without having to resort to a full on inverter replacement, but it did not. The replacement pump is working great though as well, so here's to hopefully another 310,000 miles!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My first "trick" is to push the connector IN/ON (towards the device) and while holding it in I press on the lock/release tab. If I hear a slight "click", then it should come loose- might take some wiggling while pulling.

Second is to use compressed air with a "poofer" nozzle or blowgun to blow any debris from between the connector shell and the device- esp around the lock tab. Dirt and sand makes pretty good "loctite" for plastic parts.

Last is if you can see (and "reach") the inside end of the lock tab (where it latches over the little nub on the device) with a small pick, then you can GENTLY lift it while pulling and wiggling the connector. Be careful as you can break the tab off fairly easily.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

AMTilts and Mendel Leisk like this.