1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can't enter programming mode. Bought new in 2006. Bought new key from dealer. Can't program it

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rick2006, Mar 19, 2019.

1. rick2006

rick2006 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tried performing the instructions many times, faster, slower, and with a new CR2032 battery. It will not enter programming mode. "Remove old fob from slot. Car is in fob programming mode at this point. Red anti-theft light remains on." No, it is not. I insert the new fob and leave it in. Red anti-theft light keeps flashing even if I wait 30 minutes. History: I bought this 2006 Prius Level 2 (non-smart key) new in January 2006 from my dealer in Wisconsin. I stored the master key and used only the spare key. I lost the spare key in 2009. I gave the dealer a used key and he programmed it from the master key. It would start the car but not lock/unlock doors. By 2012 I got tired of not having the key button lock/unlock function, so I bought a new key from the dealer, and he programmed it. This worked fine. But now I lost the new key. I am on a trip in Florida so I can't go to my Wisconsin dealer, so I bought a key from the Daytona dealer. Trying to program it myself using my master key and the instructions listed in PriusChat.com. Sounds simple. Why won't it work?

2. rick2006

rick2006 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Partial success: Got through procedure A successfully, but then only got through step 11 of Procedure B. Car did not respond with any quick lock/unlock. Any tips on this problem?

3. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So this is not a smart key car.

Did they sell you the correct non-smart key (black logo)?

Do you know that there is still room to program another key. There is a maximum number that you can have.

Alternately you could buy Techstream and a seed code, wipe all keys and start over. Wouldn't matter if they were new or used.

4. rick2006

rick2006 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you for your input. I now achieved total success. I got through both Procedure A and Procedure B and my new key is fully programmed and working okay. I would suggest one slight change to the instructions I was following, highlighted below:
    PROCEDURE A

1. Get into the car, close and unlock all doors and ensure the car is off
    2. Insert old fob (your fob that currently works) into slot and remove it 4 times in a row, and insert it a fifth time but leave it in there!
    2. Open and close driver door 6 times.
    3. Remove old fob from slot. Car is in fob programming mode at this point. Red anti-theft light remains on.
    4. Insert new fob and leave in the slot for a full minute. Watch the blinking red anti-theft light on the dashboard. When it stops flashing and goes dark, your new fob is all set.
    5. Remove the new fob and you're done with the START/STOP portion of programming (proceed with procedure B)

Procedure B

1. Open the driver door with no fob in slot and the doors unlocked.
    2. Insert old fob into slot and remove it twice within 5 seconds.
    3. Close and open driver door twice.
    4. Insert and remove old fob once.
    5. Close and open driver door twice again.
    6. Insert old fob in slot and close door.
    7. Without pressing the brake, press power button, wait a second, press it again, wait a second, press it a third time to turn car back off.
    8. Remove old fob from slot. You'll be in "add mode" at this point.
    9. Car should lock and unlock doors twice to verify it is in add mode.
    10. Press and hold both buttons on new fob simultaneously for a second and a half.
    11. Within 3 seconds, press just the lock button on new fob BUT DO NOT HOLD.
    12. Car should respond with one quick lock/unlock to verify that the new fob is all set. If the car responds with two lock/unlocks, that means it didn't work. Either try again, your fob is bad or, you have too many fobs assigned to the car.
    13. To end this programming, open then close the driver's door or put fob in the slot.

Also, Procedure A finally worked when I performed it at a speed that I would call VERY FAST. Procedure B worked when performed at a moderate speed.

Also, just before I got it to work, I reset the Maintenance Light. In 12 years of almost always changing my own oil, I never bothered to reset the Maintenance Light. Don't know if this would have prevented the procedure from working.

Unfortunately, my problems are not all over yet. I took the new blank mechanical key to a big box store to grind a copy of my master mechanical key, and the copy doesn't work. It is 1/16 inch off from the master. So now I've got to order a new mechanical key and take it somewhere else to grind a copy. I will not take it to the professional locksmith I had used in the past to grind copies of keys because their work was poor also.

5. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota can cut one for you. Doesn't take long.
    Might be worth it to get it right.

Skibob likes this.